What Did We Learn: Iowa Edition

The two things I learned from this game is that you can never really trust Armstrong or Langsdorf, which is pretty scary as I expect both will be back in 2016. For the Iowa game today, minus the bonehead 4th and 1 call, I would say Langsdorf deserves less of the blame as it's true that an average QB would have made several plays today, or not made several INTs today. Tommy is simply a below average QB, and not one that should be counted on to lead a power 5 team. Had we had someone like Zac Lee this year, I think NU ends up with a 8-4 or 7-5 record. Lee was not going to make the wow plays, but also was not going to cost many games with bad decision making.

Langsdorf called a great game today, the 4th & 1 was a terrible read by Tommy. POB needs to take this job and run with it. With a better QB we win 9-10 games this season.
But, with this bad QB we won 9 games
C'mon man.

No Ameer, no Bell, no DPE

• Fire 4

The two things I learned from this game is that you can never really trust Armstrong or Langsdorf, which is pretty scary as I expect both will be back in 2016. For the Iowa game today, minus the bonehead 4th and 1 call, I would say Langsdorf deserves less of the blame as it's true that an average QB would have made several plays today, or not made several INTs today. Tommy is simply a below average QB, and not one that should be counted on to lead a power 5 team. Had we had someone like Zac Lee this year, I think NU ends up with a 8-4 or 7-5 record. Lee was not going to make the wow plays, but also was not going to cost many games with bad decision making.

Langsdorf called a great game today, the 4th & 1 was a terrible read by Tommy. POB needs to take this job and run with it. With a better QB we win 9-10 games this season.
C'mon man.

+1 for common sense

• Fire 2

C'mon man.

But, but, but. Riley was hired to win now, per his own words. He didn't. And this with a program that had reeled of 7 straight 9/10 win seasons. And I don't care how they happened or with whose recruits they happened with. Bottom line, they happened. Every year.

• Fire 1

Where do people place more of the blame on that 4th down - on Langsdorf or TA?

I noticed a lot of people on Twitter saying 'don't blame Langsdorf because he didn't throw the ball.' While true, it's also a coaches job to put a QB (and the team) in a position to win the game. Did Langsdorf and the coaches put TA and the team in the right spot there to convert, while understanding the limitations TA has?

totally TA. The wide open receiver proves that langsdorf put Tommy in a great position. People can claim that DL needs to know his qb's strengths and weaknesses so he should've justhe ran the ball, but a 3 year starting qb for a power 5 school should have enough common sense to know game situation and that 4th and 1 means you don't need to and shouldn't go for a home run shot, especially when you have a wide open receiver a couple yards past the 1st down. Obviously TA would've still had to get it to carter accurately enough to catch, and carter in turn would've had to make the catch, but the coaches still put them in a position to make the play. Tommy didn't even look at the check down and stared down the fly fade the whole way.

I think if NU has an average or slightly above average QB, some of Langsdorf's play calling would be acceptable. But throwing the ball 45 times with a QB that is not a good passer and gives the ball away too much is not a good strategy. The OC is supposed to maximize the talent on the team, and the strengths of key players on the team.

I noticed a lot of people on Twitter saying 'don't blame Langsdorf because he didn't throw the ball.' While true, it's also a coaches job to put a QB (and the team) in a position to win the game. Did Langsdorf and the coaches put TA and the team in the right spot there to convert, while understanding the limitations TA has?

totally TA. The wide open receiver proves that langsdorf put Tommy in a great position. People can claim that DL needs to know his qb's strengths and weaknesses so he should've justhe ran the ball, but a 3 year starting qb for a power 5 school should have enough common sense to know game situation and that 4th and 1 means you don't need to and shouldn't go for a home run shot, especially when you have a wide open receiver a couple yards past the 1st down. Obviously TA would've still had to get it to carter accurately enough to catch, and carter in turn would've had to make the catch, but the coaches still put them in a position to make the play. Tommy didn't even look at the check down and stared down the fly fade the whole way.

But here's the thing....TA has been a 3-year starter and in that time has shown no consistency in being able to make those throws. It's not like him missing that throw was an anomaly. It's what Tommy does, and DL should recognize that. Now if Tommy were a freshman and hadn't shown such inconsistently I would feel better with the call, but DL is not playing to Tommy's strengths.

But here's the thing....TA has been a 3-year starter and in that time has shown no consistency in being able to make those throws. It's not like him missing that throw was an anomaly. It's what Tommy does, and DL should recognize that. Now if Tommy were a freshman and hadn't shown such inconsistently I would feel better with the call, but DL is not playing to Tommy's strengths.

It's been documented on here today that DL and Tommy are butting heads about Tommy's decision making. If that is true, what do you want the guy (DL) to do?

Unfortunately, Tommy is the by far the best we got. Thanks 408.

Our offense outscored Iowa O.

Imagine the meltdown Iowa would have had were we to actually have won this game at the end. I didn't think Iowa worthy before the game and their stock still dropped imo.

Check the stats out: specially down at the bottom for yardage, INTs really hurt us with the penalties

http://www.huskers.com/liveStats/v2/football/index.dbml?GAME_STAT_ID=2398167&db_oem_id=100

Edited by NebraskaShellback

I don't care for this coaching staff by and large, but the 4th and 1 fade was not exactly the primary call, Cethan Carter was standing all alone on the other side of the field, but Tommy threw to the end zone because he. . .yeah I don't know why he did it, honestly. Carter likely walks it in easily if Tommy turns his head slightly to his left.

Yeah, or you run 1 yard for first down and have 4 more plays....there's always that.

The pass play was there. The blown call was third and 1 not just plowing Armstrong straight ahead behind center, where Iowa didn't have anybody lined up. Ran it off-tackle or whatever instead and got stuffed.

I guess I'm too dumb to figure out how to imbed the tweet.

More proof as to why TA needs to concentrate on his classes and have a good life away from football. He is legally retarded at playing the QB position. The really frustrating part is that a lot of the less intelligent posters will blame the coaches when they are trying to win games with a QB that is the equal to having one hand tied behind their back due to his lack of football intelligence. TA has guys wide open and most of the times chooses the wrong guy to throw to. That is on Bo's sorry ass for not recruiting anyone better and no depth. Now we are faced with starting a true freshman next year or face another year of bad QB play that will cost us games. TA just needs to go away and give his scholarship to someone who won't sabatoge the season with his poor decsion making.

If TA is truly as horrible as you suggest, his continual 100% on the coaches. But MO, you sound f'ing stupid right now! Only to the least intelligent on the board. Only a complete moron, the worst of the worst coaches would keep trying to call pass play after pass play in a close game with a QB that can't throw and is "retarded." Any coach worth his pay would work with what they got, and our coaching staff with HUNDREDS OF YEARS OF EXPERIENCE acted like they were 11 month year olds trying to fit a square peg through the round hole. That is the biggest difference between last year and this year: even though you hate him Bo never asked players to do something that was out of their wheelhouse. His schemes (while they had problems, 408) normally brought out the best in the players.

That and probably the fear of getting their heads ripped off.

• Fire 1

I understand but the biggest thing is that TA didn't even bother looking down at the check down, he just went straight for the low percentage home run ball. It's not like throw was just that bad. It was a decent throw to give the WR an opportunity to either go for the catch or try to I draw a pass interference. The DB just made a better play defensively. My point is as a 3 year starter Tommy should have enough common sense to know he shouldn't throw the home run ball and that he still had over 4 minutes with 3 timeouts, on 4th down. Know the other routes for the play and find someone else that perhaps isn't being covered like a blanket. Maybe we should've just run it, though, since Tommy is barely even able to decipher when to bite the bullet and throw the ball away, let alone find an open check down reciever.

I learned that I have absolutely zero faith in this staff heading into next year. No excuses, it's time to put up or shut up.

I also have no doubt that TA will not be our starter next season. The reins will be handed to POB, and he will hold the fate of this staff in his hands.

• Fire 1