What Did We Learn: Iowa Edition

What was that call when Iowa muffed the punt but we did get the advancement on the recovery?

You cannot advance a muffed punt. If the deep man had gained possesion then fumbled, we could have advanced it.
Why? And is this a new rule?
Why? Because...

It's been a rule as long as I can remember. There's really no good reason for it, other than the kicking team will score 99 percent of the time. Maybe it's to give the muffing team a sporting chance.

Since Devaney was hired, NU has won close to 40 more games than the second most winningest team - OU (entering this season anyway).... To say we've been spoiled is an understatement.... We've had 3 losing seasons in basically 6 decades.... Not one other program can say that..... We could literally not practice for 3 seasons, let alone play a game, and OU would need to go undefeated to pass us in win totals. Spoiled.

IDK if we're going to turn a corner next season or if it'll be a repeat of this season. I'm nervous, but optimistic. Not once this season did I feel helpless during a game - at least not until the final minute of a couple games. I can't say that about any of our previous 3 HCs. It never once felt out of control like it did with Frank, Bill, and Bo at times.

Groan....football is now a business. These results aren't good for business. These results shouldn't be tolerated...past success doesn't excuse present incompetence.

What was that call when Iowa muffed the punt but we did get the advancement on the recovery?

You cannot advance a muffed punt. If the deep man had gained possesion then fumbled, we could have advanced it.

Why? And is this a new rule?

Why? Because...

It's been a rule as long as I can remember. There's really no good reason for it, other than the kicking team will score 99 percent of the time. Maybe it's to give the muffing team a sporting chance.

As a muffer, I'm thankful that for once they gave us a fighting chance.

This pretty well describes Langsdorf's philosophy - in his own words:

RE: Play call on 4th down

"We thought about it and I just didn't want to hand it off and get stuffed in the backfield," Langsdorf explained. "I thought we'd have a better play with more options on the throw. It didn't work, so it's going to get looked at. But it's running uphill against a bunch of people and you have a free hat coming off the edge like the play before and it spooks you out of the run on the next play."

"Didn't want to run and get stuffed" He assumes the run will fail and thus would rather throw it.

You got a free hat coming off the edge, like the play before, it kind of spooks you out off the run.

http://watch.scout.com/langdorf-converted

This is about the 4th & 1 play call. As a Husker fan, it is hard to hear our OC say he is spooked to run the ball. TA started the game 2 of 7 with 2 INT. That means, he successfully threw the ball just as much to Iowa as he did Nebraska, but after that, Langsdorf called 10 more pass plays to just 3 runs to finish the first half. With a start like that, why would he not be spooked by the pass?

Before anyone else can say it, I saw the open TE on that play, same as everyone else, so the play call itself was not the problem.

post-13450-0-33492800-1448731168.png

Langsdorf's offense is schemed well to get WR open. However, TA is not the QB for how the offense was called yesterday. The problem this season has always been fit. TA is a natural runner and has great arm strength. However, arm strength is meaningless when he struggles to recognize coverages and does not prioritize ball security. Actually, at times, he would rather throw a Hail Mary, damn the consequences, than look for a check down, tuck it and pick up a few yards, or simply throw it away. If the coaches are going to put him out there, which I don't blame them because he is a true competitor and playmaker, they need to look at how they are going to run the offense. Calling 40+ pass plays gives TA too many opportunities to make a poor decision. One answer is an easy one: run the ball more. This is some what a tired mantra, but I say it after looking at the results of the season and thinking about what type of offense would work with the talent currently at Nebraska. Langsdorf has already shown a great ability to design companion run-pass plays. He uses a two-back set to feature the fly sweep, QB counter (where the QB is the second RB), FB trap, inside zone with the RB, and finally several passing variants.

No firing or replacing of players is necessary. Success can come with this staff and this roster, if the coaches make the prompter adjustments.

Great post

"We thought about it and I just didn't want to hand it off and get stuffed in the backfield," Langsdorf explained. "I thought we'd have a better play with more options on the throw. It didn't work, so it's going to get looked at. But it's running uphill against a bunch of people and you have a free hat coming off the edge like the play before and it spooks you out of the run on the next play."

"Didn't want to run and get stuffed" He assumes the run will fail and thus would rather throw it.

In November. In Nebraska. In 20 degree weather. Stupid.

We would have beat Iowa minus four interceptions.

The defense is much better than when Bo was coach, we were in all of the games this season and not one nationally televised blowout (and humiliating) loss.

WR's were falling down, did they forget how to run?

Does Tommy know how to check down to his receivers or make decisions on the fly? Seems everytime he goes back to pass, he knows exactly where he is going to throw it and chucks it to that receiver whether he is open or not. This is not the kind of QB you want running your offense.

Tommy doesn't fit this offense at all, maybe next season we will have a QB that does.

I've seen some bright spots this season and I am actually somewhat optimistic about what Riley can do here once he gets his kind of players on the field. As with any coaching change, we'll just have to wait and see.

The defense is much better than when Bo was coach, we were in all of the games this season and not one nationally televised blowout (and humiliating) loss.

Does Tommy know how to check down to his receivers or make decisions on the fly? Seems everytime he goes back to pass, he knows exactly where he is going to throw it and chucks it to that receiver whether he is open or not. This is not the kind of QB you want running your offense.

Tommy doesn't fit this offense at all, maybe next season we will have a QB that does.

I've seen some bright spots this season and I am actually somewhat optimistic about what Riley can do here once he gets his kind of players on the field. As with any coaching change, we'll just have to wait and see.

There wouldn't have been so many interceptions if we'd ran the ball more. Never giving the ball to Jano once was a crime. On Senior day, too
  • Fire 2

Beyond stupid. Speaks volumes about Fat Danny's philosophy. Throwing a low percentage fade route rather than punch for a new set of down. If it 4 and 1 and Jano gets stuffed, so be it. That's football. But all this trying to be tricky crap is stupidball

What did Tommy have to get on the ACT or SAT to get into Nebraska? Honest question.

Greatest fans in college football my ass. You guys sicken me.

This board doesn't represent the entire fan base and you know that.

I'm hearing way too many "Tommy is retarded" comments here and other places. It's low f'ing class, and we should be better than that.

I agree. I'm not sure on how throwing Tommy under the bus is going to help in the future or change the past.

I don't fault TA. I fault the coaches for having TA in the game.

• Fire 1

There wouldn't have been so many interceptions if we'd ran the ball more. Never giving the ball to Jano once was a crime. On Senior day, too

Agree, it is a felony, punishable by being run out of Lincoln on rail