If you are Nate Gerry

macroboy

.....what could you do to not get that penalty?

I understand why they throw the flag but I don't know what he could have done....aside from let the guy catch the ball, and then touch him down afterwards?

The Iowa player is diving head first towards the ground to catch the ball and Nate is coming at him from a direction that you can't avoid that type of collision. I thought one of the replays showed Nate trying to roll his shoulder forward even to try and avoid the helmet to helmet.

I know why they have the rule, and that is fine. And yes, it was a serious collision but in that situation, at those angles, is the defensive player just supposed to let the guy catch it?

• Fire 2

.....what could you do to not get that penalty?

I understand why they throw the flag but I don't know what he could have done....aside from let the guy catch the ball, and then touch him down afterwards?

The Iowa player is diving head first towards the ground to catch the ball and Nate is coming at him from a direction that you can't avoid that type of collision. I thought one of the replays showed Nate trying to roll his shoulder forward even to try and avoid the helmet to helmet.

I know why they have the rule, and that is fine. And yes, it was a serious collision but in that situation, at those angles, is the defensive player just supposed to let the guy catch it?

This is easy and it's about the same thing that happened to Westy and wasn't called in the MSU game...he's falling to the ground ,so you can push him with your hands ,but the one thing you CAN'T do is lower your helmet and spear him...and I guess you could get a different penalty as well...unnecessary roughness....for falling on a guy who is already down. NFL would be different because they can get back up, but even then if you watch them they're very careful to just touch the guy.

I don't think Nate was targeting him in this case, it was just that they both went to the same spot. Still doesn't matter though because he put his head down instead of looking.

Pretty much anytime a receiver gets blown up it's going to be called these days.

I don't believe Gerry could have done anything differently on that play. Moreover, I'm highly confident Gerry hit him with his shoulder in the guy's upper chest, below his chin. The receiver sold it a bit to really draw a flag. The whole thing was a bunch of horsesh#t so of course these weak-ass Big Ten refs called it like the whiny little bitches they are.

• Fire 2

Iowa exploited his vacancy in those two touchdown runs. If Gerry's in there, does runs don't break like that.

I agree with this.

Hey, they were smart calls and we didn't have the people on the field to stop it. But, at least on the second one, Williams looked lost. They then made some adjustments to stop that play the rest of the game.

If you youtube search for targeting ejection, you'll see about 90% of the time, the call seems unwarranted. This rule needs to be reviewed and modified. There is a difference between hitting a defenseless player and making a football play. If gerry doesn't hit this WR, then no doubt he catches the ball.

With that said, we are all biased. We'd probably be supporting the call if the roles were reversed.