Seems there will be some attrition of roster

when do we get any real news about transfers instead of a lot of coach bashing in this thread?

I keep coming here expecting real news on transfers and all I ever find are a bunch of whiny fans bashing coaches.
Welcome to the last 5 years!

Thanks, Obama.

• Fire 4

when do we get any real news about transfers instead of a lot of coach bashing in this thread?

I keep coming here expecting real news on transfers and all I ever find are a bunch of whiny fans bashing coaches.

Why would any player announce before the bowl game that he's going to transfer. He might as well get a free trip to San Fran and and some swag.

Why would any player announce before the bowl game that he's going to transfer. He might as well get a free trip to San Fran and and some swag.

Depends on where he is at in the process of transferring. If he is planning on transferring at semester he would need to be trying to find a new home ASAP. This would allow him to be in spring practice with his new team and less time around a program he obviously doesn't want to be a part of anymore. Get a jump start on his new life.

Riley has already indicated that he has had discussions with some players who may want to transfer. An interesting conversation the other day on the radio was, if you have a player who has indicated that he wants to transfer, do you even include him in bowl preparation and the trip? The biggest part of this bowl is helping get ready for next year. If he isn't going to be here next year, then........ If you aren't bought in to the program enough to make you want to stay here for next year, then why should the staff be wasting their time on you? I expect to hear more on this subject after the semester ends.

That said, my comments were more about whiney fans than no news.

Depends on where he is at in the process of transferring. If he is planning on transferring at semester he would need to be trying to find a new home ASAP. This would allow him to be in spring practice with his new team and less time around a program he obviously doesn't want to be a part of anymore. Get a jump start on his new life.

Riley has already indicated that he has had discussions with some players who may want to transfer. An interesting conversation the other day on the radio was, if you have a player who has indicated that he wants to transfer, do you even include him in bowl preparation and the trip? The biggest part of this bowl is helping get ready for next year. If he isn't going to be here next year, then........ If you aren't bought in to the program enough to make you want to stay here for next year, then why should the staff be wasting their time on you? I expect to hear more on this subject after the semester ends.

That said, my comments were more about whiney fans than no news.

I think you will see most transfers happen after the Spring semester anyway. Yes, kids can transfer to new schools for the Spring semester, but the player still has to sit out the games in the Fall, so it's not like being there for Spring practice is a huge factor. Coaches are going to focus their Spring practices on guys who are going to be playing in the Fall.

If I was a coach, I would let a kid who was thinking about transferring come to the bowl game anyway. I see these minor bowl trips as a reward for a good season (or even a crappy one) and a chance to enjoy some time away from campus as a team.

Ask Courtney Love and Greg Hart why they gave up a free trip to San Diego last year

If a kid has his mind made up he is leaving, why would he want to spend 4 hours a day at football practice/meetings/lifting when he knows he isn't going to be around next year?

Seeing as how there is no OL rotation and under Cav there won't be, I would expect defections there. I would also expect a QB or 2 to look to go elsewhere. No guesses, just a thought. I wouldn't be surprised at RB either. The management of that roster is confusing at best. At the time, many had no issues with Green leaving to TCU. In hindsight, that was a huge loss IMO. So even though some positions we look "deep", the reality is we probably one guy leaving away from having little to no depth....

This isn't a knock on Riley. Every coach, on every team experiences attrition.

I would imagine somebody probably moves-on at QB. I would be shocked if it doesn't happen at RB, and that is sad because ya it's definitely management-related. We couldn't do anything about Green, he was homesick and really in need of an attitude adjustment. Braylon Heard we definitely dropped the ball on, like we dropped the ball on Wilbon this season. Hell I'd say this was even worse since Heard never just disappeared and ended-up on scout-team. Hard to say what's going on with Taylor since we've never seen him play.

I might have my timing off, but wouldn't Green have been done last year if he stayed with us? I thought he was only eligible this year because he redshirted during his transfer year. If this is the case I would take Ameer over him in a heartbeat. I don't see how he was a huge loss.

Seeing as how there is no OL rotation and under Cav there won't be, I would expect defections there. I would also expect a QB or 2 to look to go elsewhere. No guesses, just a thought. I wouldn't be surprised at RB either. The management of that roster is confusing at best. At the time, many had no issues with Green leaving to TCU. In hindsight, that was a huge loss IMO. So even though some positions we look "deep", the reality is we probably one guy leaving away from having little to no depth....

I would imagine somebody probably moves-on at QB. I would be shocked if it doesn't happen at RB, and that is sad because ya it's definitely management-related. We couldn't do anything about Green, he was homesick and really in need of an attitude adjustment. Braylon Heard we definitely dropped the ball on, like we dropped the ball on Wilbon this season. Hell I'd say this was even worse since Heard never just disappeared and ended-up on scout-team. Hard to say what's going on with Taylor since we've never seen him play.

I might have my timing off, but wouldn't Green have been done last year if he stayed with us? I thought he was only eligible this year because he redshirted during his transfer year. If this is the case I would take Ameer over him in a heartbeat.

Green could have always redshirted a year at NU, to get a "year behind" Ameer. Just because he played as a true frosh, doesn't mean he couldn't have redshirted later on.

I might have my timing off, but wouldn't Green have been done last year if he stayed with us? I thought he was only eligible this year because he redshirted during his transfer year. If this is the case I would take Ameer over him in a heartbeat.

Green could have always redshirted a year at NU, to get a "year behind" Ameer. Just because he played as a true frosh, doesn't mean he couldn't have redshirted later on.

Does that happen much? I can't remember a situation where that has. Pelini wouldn't redshirt Kunalic when we had Henery, so I would be surprised if he would have done it with Green.

Does that happen much? I can't remember a situation where that has. Pelini wouldn't redshirt Kunalic when we had Henery, so I would be surprised if he would have done it with Green.

No, it doesn't happen much, but it's an option. Mike Grant redshirted in 1991 because he was pretty much 4th on the depth chart, and there were 3 other seniors ahead of him. He came back in '92 as a RS Senior and started a few games before losing his job to T-Frazier.

We did not "drop the ball on Heard". He was clearly beat out by Ameer. If you think he was better than Ameer then...well....I'll have to disagree.

The staff moved him around to try to get him on the field and none of that was successful. This is quite possibly because his heart was only in on playing RB.....which....he was never going to be "the guy".

Believe it or not, when a kid gets beat out for playing time, just because the fans want to see him on the field doesn't mean the staff...."dropped the ball".

• Fire 2