Seems there will be some attrition of roster

I think they expect 7 or 8 transfers and mostly on defense from the rumors flying around.

I can think of 6 it would probably make sense for if PT is their goal.

I'm not one thats ever really for a kid transferring in most cases. You signed up to be a part of the team. Its 4-5 years of life and hopefully you rise to the top. But that's not really reality. People need to learn how to fit into roles in life. That applies to sports teams, jobs, school, etc. Not everyone is going to be the #1 person. But it takes everyone to go in the right direction. You can be just as happy and just as successful learning to be part of a team or being a role player than the star QB. You also need to learn that things happen and change such as coaches coming and going, bosses leaving, etc. and you need to be able to adapt to those things.

I'm not sure your analogy works. In the real world you are free to change jobs and find the best opportunity for you. You aren't stuck with the company that gives you your first job. If I get the chance to be the CEO at another company, I'm not going to pass it up to be a role player for my current company. But this doesn't even really describe a student athlete's experience. I would expect that just about all high school recruits going to a power conference school have aspirations of playing in the NFL. Their 4-5 years are an interview and resume builder for these kids. If you don't get to show off your abilities, why not move on to a better opportunity. If you love your school and are happy being a role player, then great. But these kids are on the team to actually play, not be a role player. If your goal isn't to be the top guy, then it's probably not someone we would want on our team anyway.

I think they expect 7 or 8 transfers and mostly on defense from the rumors flying around.

I'm not one thats ever really for a kid transferring in most cases. You signed up to be a part of the team. Its 4-5 years of life and hopefully you rise to the top. But that's not really reality. People need to learn how to fit into roles in life. That applies to sports teams, jobs, school, etc. Not everyone is going to be the #1 person. But it takes everyone to go in the right direction. You can be just as happy and just as successful learning to be part of a team or being a role player than the star QB. You also need to learn that things happen and change such as coaches coming and going, bosses leaving, etc. and you need to be able to adapt to those things.

I'm not sure your analogy works. In the real world you are free to change jobs and find the best opportunity for you. You aren't stuck with the company that gives you your first job. If I get the chance to be the CEO at another company, I'm not going to pass it up to be a role player for my current company. But this doesn't even really describe a student athlete's experience. I would expect that just about all high school recruits going to a power conference school have aspirations of playing in the NFL. Their 4-5 years are an interview and resume builder for these kids. If you don't get to show off your abilities, why not move on to a better opportunity. If you love your school and are happy being a role player, then great. But these kids are on the team to actually play, not be a role player. If your goal isn't to be the top guy, then it's probably not someone we would want on our team anyway.

Most CEO's work under a contract. I was contracted 2 or 3 years at a time and either had to complete the term unless both parties agreed to terminate the contract. But yes I understand the typical employee and employer agreement people can move on. In most cases those people still stick on average of 5 to 7 years at a job.

• 2 weeks later...

Mike Riley, during a phone interview with a Journal Star reporter on Wednesday afternoon, didn't name names of potential transfers, but believed five would be the top-end number for those possibly departing.

It's always a fluid situation, of course, but the Husker head coach felt he has had some productive talks this week with some of those players pondering their football futures.
"These are not bad conversations," Riley said. "Some of them, most of them, have to do with opportunity. A guy not playing as much as he wants to play. Most of the conversations are not adversarial. They're, 'How can we help this deal?'
"Obviously if they want to stay and continue to compete and see where they can go, I'm all for them. If they want to look for another opportunity that might provide them more playing time, then I'm for them too. It's kind of just figuring out what's best for them to do, and then pointing out the fact that things may not change here (in regards to playing time). I don't have a crystal ball. So I'm not sure what will happen. And then balancing that with you've got to be careful what you're getting into. It's got to be the right fit, the right kind of program and the best school for you."

LJS

• Fire 2

Mike Riley, during a phone interview with a Journal Star reporter on Wednesday afternoon, didn't name names of potential transfers, but believed five would be the top-end number for those possibly departing.

It's always a fluid situation, of course, but the Husker head coach felt he has had some productive talks this week with some of those players pondering their football futures.
"These are not bad conversations," Riley said. "Some of them, most of them, have to do with opportunity. A guy not playing as much as he wants to play. Most of the conversations are not adversarial. They're, 'How can we help this deal?'
"Obviously if they want to stay and continue to compete and see where they can go, I'm all for them. If they want to look for another opportunity that might provide them more playing time, then I'm for them too. It's kind of just figuring out what's best for them to do, and then pointing out the fact that things may not change here (in regards to playing time). I don't have a crystal ball. So I'm not sure what will happen. And then balancing that with you've got to be careful what you're getting into. It's got to be the right fit, the right kind of program and the best school for you."

LJS

Five!! These coaches are gonna need to get out on the crootin' trail if they're going to fill up all those roster spots! It should be an interesting month.

5 is probably about what one would expect after a typical transition. I wonder what the numbers say from other places.

What's interesting is that it sounds like some of these guys were gently asked to move on, which I'm fine with as long as they are told they can stay, compete and retain their scholarship if they want. I have a real problem with straight up cutting a guy who wants to stay and finish his education at the school he committed to.

I'm actually the complete opposite and am for a kid doing whatever he believes is best for his life. You only get a very, very finite amount of time to be in college. If you go to a place like Nebraska and realize you're probably not going to be a starter or that you and your new coach don't see eye to eye, but you really want to play college football, then you should go. You should go wherever you're going to be happy and wherever you think is best for your life and career.

Things change in life, yes, but that doesn't mean you have to be stuck in something you don't like. If my boss leaves and they hire someone else who is terrible, doesn't appreciate my talents and drives the company into the ground, I should not be obligated to sit there and tough it out if there's a better opportunity for me elsewhere. I'm going to do whatever is best for me and my family, and the same applies to college athletes.

I know, personally, I wouldn't want to sit down later in life and say 'yeah, I rode the pine at Nebraska and didn't play ever, but man I felt like part of a team!' Or, 'yeah, I left Nebraska and went to play at another school where I became a starter and we did great things.'

• Fire 4

They don't want to be here for whatever reason, best of luck. It works for some (Green to TCU) and not for others (Heard KY).

If you don't like the staff, environment, scheme etc...leave. Its that simple.

I hate that the leaving of a few guys overshadow those who choose to stay. The drama that occurs isn't worth the price of admission. It happens at every program nationwide. With coaching changes, with other opportunities and changed perceptions......

LJS

Five!! These coaches are gonna need to get out on the crootin' trail if they're going to fill up all those roster spots! It should be an interesting month.

Surprising number to me. Says a lot about what these players think of this staff. Im guessing the number would be similar to what it would've been had the previous staff still been here. Congrats to the staff on selling the vision.

Surprising number to me. Says a lot about what these players think of this staff. Im guessing the number would be similar to what it would've been had the previous staff still been here. Congrats to the staff on selling the vision.

They should lie and sell a vision of starting?

This is really a minor purge where attitude or talent are well off the mark.

Seeing more speculation that Kevin Williams might not come back either.

He'll have his Master's in May. The thinking is he may be ready for a change after battling a lot of injuries.

At some point, I think these guys start thinking about wanting to be able to walk in 10 years rather than playing another season of college football.