Speculation: Langsdorf to the Edmonton Eskimos

I can agree with much of what your saying, just not all. I believe in todays win now, instant gratification climate that has transpired over the years, a new coach would be wise to temporarily adjust certain aspects of his style while in transition. In Tommy's case, there is enough film and time with him to realize he runs hot and cold and has always showed a pattern of bad decisions when passing the ball. I think our coaching staff could do a better job of looking at what Tommy does well on a CONSISTENT basis, and try to build from there. I am not suggesting we run the ball more in every game, but simply tailor things a bit more to Tommy's strengths and the strength of the team. What are high completion percentage passes for Tommy? Does he do better in the pocket or on the run. Short pass, medium or long? Has the running back stable been used to fullest potential? If I am not rotating guys on my line, do I REALLY have the best players there?

In closing.....square peg, round hole. LOL.

Question,

Why do Husker fans want to be like that?

I do not necessarily think this is inclusive to just Husker fans. I think we are seeing it all across college football. A few examples to make my point; coaches are given only a handful of years these days to achieve some sort of measurable success or they are fired. Schools are ponying up record $$$ amounts to find the latest hot coach to meet their desires of achievement. In the case of Nebraska fans, many of us are emotionally invested in our team and we long for the glory days. We miss the days when Nebraska was feared, always went to a top bowl game and was highly ranked. It been just under two decades now since that level of success, and husker fans have grown impatient and fear slipping deeper into mediocrity. I think the one thing we can all agree on as Husker fans is that want success for our team.......but we all define success differently, and sometimes have opposing views on how to get there and the time it should take.

that's not my question.

My question is, why do Husker fans want to be like this? You make a conscious decision to have the attitude you have. There are lots of examples of where coaches take several years to realize the success they ultimately get. But, instead of supporting a staff that everyone knows is going to be here for at least a few years, some fans consciously decide they are NOT going to support them and do nothing but rip them constantly.

So, to them, it's win now or screw you. So....my question is, why do Husker fans want to be that type of fan? To me, that fan is setting themselves up to be pissed off and miserable most of the time.

Are you kidding me dude, what is wrong with you? You cherry pick a lead in statement and say "not my question" then ignore the rest of the post. I answered your question. I guess it was not what you wanted to hear or really didn't want an answer- only a platform to flame throw. You seem to have an axe to grind but you can find someone else to grind with.

• Fire 1

Why is everyone against running a pro style offense here? What are the complaints you have against it? Just curious what people have.

I for one would like to see a pro style offense here for the long haul. Look at the top teams year in and year out and a majority of them run a pro style offense, whether it be run heavy or pass heavy or balanced. It also attracts better high school players that want to make it to the next level.

I wouldn't have a problem with it if Nebraska was on the west coast. Using the pass to set up the run is problematic. Just think about that statement and ask yourself what if the pass is taken away? In the midwest the weather can prevent you from passing and the more important games usually come at the end of the season when the weather is worse. I'm starting to wonder if some of the coaches decisions are driven by this philosophy to the detriment of our run game- selection of the O-line, not rotating the O-line, selection of the running backs and the amount of practice time devoted to passing vs. running. I'd prefer to see a 60/40 run/pass ratio featuring a strong run game with efficient passing. I believe it's important to be able to pass the ball well to be successful which also gives us the ability to come from behind. What I don't like is needing to come from behind because our passing game put us in a hole and we don't have a decent run game to lean on when passing isn't working. Our style of offense and Riley/Langs reputation should attract QB recruits that can pass. A QB should be a good passer. If they are semi-mobile and can provide that occasional run threat then great. Maybe POB turns out to be a Manning and we'll have a lot of success but I'm skeptical and think we'll lose games if we don't have a well developed run game.

I can agree with much of what your saying, just not all. I believe in todays win now, instant gratification climate that has transpired over the years, a new coach would be wise to temporarily adjust certain aspects of his style while in transition. In Tommy's case, there is enough film and time with him to realize he runs hot and cold and has always showed a pattern of bad decisions when passing the ball. I think our coaching staff could do a better job of looking at what Tommy does well on a CONSISTENT basis, and try to build from there. I am not suggesting we run the ball more in every game, but simply tailor things a bit more to Tommy's strengths and the strength of the team. What are high completion percentage passes for Tommy? Does he do better in the pocket or on the run. Short pass, medium or long? Has the running back stable been used to fullest potential? If I am not rotating guys on my line, do I REALLY have the best players there?

In closing.....square peg, round hole. LOL.

Question,

Why do Husker fans want to be like that?

I do not necessarily think this is inclusive to just Husker fans. I think we are seeing it all across college football. A few examples to make my point; coaches are given only a handful of years these days to achieve some sort of measurable success or they are fired. Schools are ponying up record $$$ amounts to find the latest hot coach to meet their desires of achievement. In the case of Nebraska fans, many of us are emotionally invested in our team and we long for the glory days. We miss the days when Nebraska was feared, always went to a top bowl game and was highly ranked. It been just under two decades now since that level of success, and husker fans have grown impatient and fear slipping deeper into mediocrity. I think the one thing we can all agree on as Husker fans is that want success for our team.......but we all define success differently, and sometimes have opposing views on how to get there and the time it should take.

that's not my question.

My question is, why do Husker fans want to be like this? You make a conscious decision to have the attitude you have. There are lots of examples of where coaches take several years to realize the success they ultimately get. But, instead of supporting a staff that everyone knows is going to be here for at least a few years, some fans consciously decide they are NOT going to support them and do nothing but rip them constantly.

So, to them, it's win now or screw you. So....my question is, why do Husker fans want to be that type of fan? To me, that fan is setting themselves up to be pissed off and miserable most of the time.

Are you kidding me dude, what is wrong with you? You cherry pick a lead in statement and say "not my question" then ignore the rest of the post. I answered your question. I guess it was not what you wanted to hear or really didn't want an answer- only a platform to flame throw. You seem to have an axe to grind but you can find someone else to grind with.

I read the rest of your post. You said that fans are emotionally invested in the team and are tired of waiting for a championship.

But, no, that doesn't answer my question. People who are willing to give Riley 2-3 years are also emotionally invested in the team and tired of waiting for championships. But, some in the fan base choose to express constantly how impatient they are and how they demand results RIGHT NOW!!!!

I'm saying, that is a conscious choice people make to be that way and my question is, why? Why do people consciously choose to constantly bitch and complain when they know for a fact this staff is going to be here for at least 2-3 years?

I do find it interesting that some people sit and bitch and complain and in some cases simply insult and boo....etc. coaches and players. But, when their actions or opinions are questions...OMG...they get defensive.

Kind of ironic.

Why is everyone against running a pro style offense here? What are the complaints you have against it? Just curious what people have.

I for one would like to see a pro style offense here for the long haul. Look at the top teams year in and year out and a majority of them run a pro style offense, whether it be run heavy or pass heavy or balanced. It also attracts better high school players that want to make it to the next level.

I don't think people are objecting to a pro style offense. I think there is frustration that the coaches are not tailoring the offense to the skill sets of their players, specifically our starting QB. They are trying fit a square peg in a round hole and it is costing us some games. Eventually Riley and staff may get the players to fit their system, but that is the future and we are dealing with the present.

So you've ran a system for decades and should just dump it for short term success? We played many young players and unfortunately you are typically going to have some sort of setback when transitioning.

Except that this staff was sold to John Q. Public as being experienced enough to work in facets of their old system into what they were wanting to do to succeed--our AD and new coaches set the expectations that this staff would be able to utilize the existing skillsets available effectively, not the public.

So what does Tommy do well?

Read option, option pass, rollout passing, and designed QB runs, off the top of my head.

I'd say he's highly efficient at throwing it to the other team.

Yeah, there's that, too, unfortunately. But then again, both Tommy and Langsdorf share the blame on that this season. Tommy regressed fundamentally during the season, which is on both coach and player, and the plays that were called didn't play into Tommy's strengths.

I don't think people are objecting to a pro style offense. I think there is frustration that the coaches are not tailoring the offense to the skill sets of their players, specifically our starting QB. They are trying fit a square peg in a round hole and it is costing us some games. Eventually Riley and staff may get the players to fit their system, but that is the future and we are dealing with the present.

So you've ran a system for decades and should just dump it for short term success? We played many young players and unfortunately you are typically going to have some sort of setback when transitioning.

Except that this staff was sold to John Q. Public as being experienced enough to work in facets of their old system into what they were wanting to do to succeed--our AD and new coaches set the expectations that this staff would be able to utilize the existing skillsets available effectively, not the public.

Do you think Sean Mannion was running any QB sweeps/counters last year? I would say the QB run game that we saw this year was Riley adapting to our skillset.

Read option, option pass, rollout passing, and designed QB runs, off the top of my head.

Yeah, there's that, too, unfortunately. But then again, both Tommy and Langsdorf share the blame on that this season. Tommy regressed fundamentally during the season, which is on both coach and player, and the plays that were called didn't play into Tommy's strengths.

Why is it always have to be to Tommy's strength??? What about the strength of the entire team.. Receiver's come to mind.

Why is it always have to be to Tommy's strength??? What about the strength of the entire team.. Receiver's come to mind.

Are receivers involved in these plays: option pass, rollout passing?

• Fire 1

Are receivers involved in these plays: option pass, rollout passing?

Yes, so all this bullsh#t that they haven't coached to the strength of the team is just that!

If we are stuck with this staff, I want Langsdorff to be apart of it. He has great potential to be successfull here.

I like the design of his offense. I think with a better QB it will be pretty good.

But my issue is how he calls plays. I don't think he has a very good idea of how to fit them all together. For sure the running game part of it.

Kind of like he seems to be a pretty good architect but sucks as an engineer.

If we are stuck with this staff, I want Langsdorff to be apart of it. He has great potential to be successfull here.

I like the design of his offense. I think with a better QB it will be pretty good.

But my issue is how he calls plays. I don't think he has a very good idea of how to fit them all together. For sure the running game part of it.

Kind of like he seems to be a pretty good architect but sucks as an engineer.

If you had a hodgepodge of players, some that fit what you want to do and many that do not, as a coach it might be difficult to call a consistent game. You might want to wait to judge for a couple of years.