Tanner Farmer to wrestle after the bowl game

Red Five

Have some of you people been at practice to actually know how good (or bad) this guy is? I am curious as to what you are basing your speculation of greatness off of. Rivals rankings out of High School? Media reports? Spring Game?

All backups are better than the starters until proven otherwise (and sometimes even then backups > starters)

• Fire 1

Have some of you people been at practice to actually know how good (or bad) this guy is? I am curious as to what you are basing your speculation of greatness off of. Rivals rankings out of High School? Media reports? Spring Game?

All backups are better than the starters until proven otherwise (and sometimes even then backups > starters)

This. They're basing it on the fact that he's a back up and had a lot of stars coming out of high school.

• 4 weeks later...

• 3 weeks later...

“I’m going on two months right now and everything is going great,” he said. “My conditioning is back up close to wrestling standards. My quickness and balance are improving. That’s what I needed to work on for football. Things couldn’t be better for me right now.

“Whenever you’re going up against a defensive lineman they’re going to try to throw you off or shake you off, you’ve got to be able to shift back in position. That was a big part of the balance I needed to work on - with wrestling it’s really helped me so far. My balance has improved so much. It really helps with pass blocking because you’re able to transition your weight back and forth. I’ve noticed it while doing my drills."
The decision to allow Farmer to join the wrestling team after the conclusion of Nebraska’s season wasn’t one made lightly. Mike Riley and Mike Cavanaugh talked with the lineman, they spoke with Manning and all sides came to an agreement it might be worth a try.
Manning was intrigued - one of his assistant coaches had told him about Farmer when the lineman was dominating Illinois in 2013-14 - but how long would he be willing to stick it out. Could he regain the form, while also realizing the sheer difference in high school to collegiate level? Nearly two months in the answer is a resounding yes.

Im going on two months right now and everything is going great, he said. My conditioning is back up close to wrestling standards. My quickness and balance are improving. Thats what I needed to work on for football. Things couldnt be better for me right now.

Whenever youre going up against a defensive lineman theyre going to try to throw you off or shake you off, youve got to be able to shift back in position. That was a big part of the balance I needed to work on - with wrestling its really helped me so far. My balance has improved so much. It really helps with pass blocking because youre able to transition your weight back and forth. Ive noticed it while doing my drills."

The decision to allow Farmer to join the wrestling team after the conclusion of Nebraskas season wasnt one made lightly. Mike Riley and Mike Cavanaugh talked with the lineman, they spoke with Manning and all sides came to an agreement it might be worth a try.

Manning was intrigued - one of his assistant coaches had told him about Farmer when the lineman was dominating Illinois in 2013-14 - but how long would he be willing to stick it out. Could he regain the form, while also realizing the sheer difference in high school to collegiate level? Nearly two months in the answer is a resounding yes.

Great read sounds like a win win situation
  • Fire 1