Zack Darlington status as a contributor

Redux

So I keep getting into the debate of what ZD's actual status is. I have been on both sides of the fence at one point. Some say he is cleared to play and others say he is still technically not cleared for any contact.

I know he was green shirt for 2014 spring game but the green shirt came off during fall camp and he had no issues with contact according to the article I read. In 2015 he was playing in spring game, no green shirt and he was listed on the depth chart.

So whered does he stand? I was still under the impression that we were honoring his scholarship and allowing him to contribute in practice, but had no real intentions of actually putting him on the field due to concerns over his concussion history.

Any real information would be appreciated.

• Fire 1

So I keep getting into the debate of what ZD's actual status is. I have been on both sides of the fence at one point. Some say he is cleared to play and others say he is still technically not cleared for any contact.

I know he was green shirt for 2014 spring game but the green shirt came off during fall camp and he had no issues with contact according to the article I read. In 2015 he was playing in spring game, no green shirt and he was listed on the depth chart.

So whered does he stand? I was still under the impression that we were honoring his scholarship and allowing him to contribute in practice, but had no real intentions of actually putting him on the field due to concerns over his concussion history.

I've heard from "reliable sources" that he is still having memory loss issues and may accept a medical hardship.

I've heard from "reliable sources" that he is still having memory loss issues and may accept a medical hardship.
I've also heard of lingering issues.

What is a medical hardship anyway? He's already taken a redshirt year. Can he get some other type of scholarship if he doesn't play anymore? Would it count towards our scholarship limit?

I keep hearing rumors of the "lingering issues" but I don't know that I buy that. At least not that anyone seems really concerned about.

He played in the spring game last year. Any report out of practice has never indicated that he's been held out of any drills or anything like that. By all indications, he was pushing for the #2 spot this spring.

So it seems to me that the "lingering issues" are either not enough to cause any worry or simply pure speculation about why he isn't farther up the depth chart.

• Fire 2

What is a medical hardship anyway? He's already taken a redshirt year. Can he get some other type of scholarship if he doesn't play anymore? Would it count towards our scholarship limit?

You retain your scholarship to the University but are no longer officially on the team and it doesn't count against the 85 limit.

• Fire 3

He would stay on scholarship, but it would not count against the 85 limit.

$EC does it all the time to weed out non contributors.

• Fire 3

You retain your scholarship to the University but are no longer officially on the team and it doesn't count against the 85 limit.

He would stay on scholarship, but it would not count against the 85 limit.

$EC does it all the time to weed out non contributors.

Then that sounds like the best option, assuming he has lingering effects with the possibility of a worse injury. If he doesn't have lingering effects, or the chance of further injury, then of course he should be allowed to continue playing.

I see him sticking around to get a degree at NU and to leverage his time with the team to get into coaching, like his old man.

I wonder if "lingering issues" being mentioned now is to justify a potential hardship after the season? Two more seasons of a non-contributor is two too many.

I like rooting for this kid, the soundbites/interviews he has given have made me a fan.

Also, after the way things turned out with Stevenson, glad he held onto #2.

FWIW, someone posted that they had a class with him and that Zack still had difficulty speaking. I don't understand why they wouldn't put him on a medical scholly if they don't intend to play him in a game.

RRJRW: kid from Florida that had one or two bad concussions in HS. Bo honored his scholly offer.