Looking Back At The Last Coaching Hire

Saunders

This whole thing has spiraled into a lot of things.

But no one can prove that Eichorst LIED about the 2 things that Saunders was saying he lied about. If you choose to not believe him, that's your opinion. That doesn't prove he lied.

He has plausible deniability on the Bert offer. But not on the policy change. That was a bold faced lie.

I guess this would certainly be a matter of perspective. I don't see a changing of a policy as a "lie."

If you say one year that you don't comment on coaching statuses during the season, but then alter it in future years when your most important hire is coming under a lot of outside scrutiny, I would call it being conveniently disingenuous. Bo wasn't SE's guy and it's pretty clear he didn't support what Bo was doing overall. Riley is his guy and he felt the need to defend him. I could see the argument for it being misleading and even shady, but a lie? Again, I guess it's a matter of perspective, but that doesn't really fit the definition of lying to me.

The lie was last year when he said it was his policy to not comment on current coaches during the season. He obviously would in certain circumstances, as he proved this year. It was a convenient lie last year.

It's not a lie. Just stop it.

I don't drink, I don't cuss and I don't smoke.

God d@##it, I left my cigarettes at the bar!

But no one can prove that Eichorst LIED about the 2 things that Saunders was saying he lied about. If you choose to not believe him, that's your opinion. That doesn't prove he lied.

He has plausible deniability on the Bert offer. But not on the policy change. That was a bold faced lie.

NO it wasn't. Changing your mind on how you handle something, whether you like it or not, is not a lie.

I don't drink Sunday through Thursday. But if I decide to have a beer on a Tuesday, it doesn't make me a liar.

I think people get caught up on the word "liar"

Example...you are a sales guy and applying for a new gig...you were responsible for 9.75 million in sales at your last job...on your resume you put down "Responsible for 10 million in sales"

Did you lie? Sure...are you a liar? Sure...is it a big deal? Only if someone wants to make it one.

SE might not have "offered" the job to anyone else but he sure as heck might have had some other people put out a few feelers.

I know what you are trying to say but it isn't the same thing.

Exactly! That is why people get caught up with the word "liar"

What I mean is that in your scenario, you can actually disprove your salesman in an actual falsehood.

A guy making a policy change does not constitute lying.

Augusta National had a policy of not letting black people as members. Or women. Both of those policies have changed. Does that make them liars?

He didn't change his policy. He made it up out of thin air last year as a convenient lie.

A the same time, him saying "I didn't do it" doesn't prove he's telling the truth. So we're left debating the definition of "is" now.

Do you guys honestly think Shawn Eichorst and staff hadn't been performing due diligence on potential new coaches for at least a year before the actual firing of Bo Pelini?

I think Eichorst fired Bo, started his coaching search once Pelini left his office, and got super lucky to have met Mike Riley in San Francisco within what? 48 hours?

That's exactly how I think it happened. It was kismet.

That's exactly what Eichorst said happened. Was he not telling the truth?

Wow, just now finding this thread.

I firmly believe there was a discussion between ADSE and Old Butthead. I also think ADSE is not so out of touch that he didn't know hiring Old Butthead would piss off the fan base even more. Finally, I think that discussion that I think took place was merely only to get ADSE's buddy, Old Butthead, a nice raise.

Do you guys honestly think Shawn Eichorst and staff hadn't been performing due diligence on potential new coaches for at least a year before the actual firing of Bo Pelini?

I think Eichorst fired Bo, started his coaching search once Pelini left his office, and got super lucky to have met Mike Riley in San Francisco within what? 48 hours?

Who would most benefit from that being true?

Bret Bielma picks up phone

*ring ring*

ADSE: Hello?

BB: Sean, it's me Old Butthead!

ADSE: Bret, you sumbeach, how goes it my nizzle?

BB: No complaints here, a trophy wife and an SEC payday broseph!

ADSE: I hear that!

BB: But I could always use a little more...

ADSE: Say no more, we can pretend you are in line to come to Lincoln.

BB: Ha! I would rather live in Fayetville! Oh wait.....

ADSE: HA! YOLO!

• Fire 1

Bret Bielma picks up phone

*ring ring*

ADSE: Hello?

BB: Sean, it's me Old Butthead!

ADSE: Bret, you sumbeach, how goes it my nizzle?

BB: No complaints here, a trophy wife and an SEC payday broseph!

ADSE: I hear that!

BB: But I could always use a little more...

ADSE: Say no more, we can pretend you are in line to come to Lincoln.

BB: Ha! I would rather live in Fayetville! Oh wait.....

ADSE: HA! YOLO!

Seems oddly plausible.

I would say ADSE would benefit the most from that being true and that's why he told it like that.

Do you think it's true or was the coaching search going on for longer than that?

What in the name of Barney Cotton is going on in this thread? We are speculating about speculation about speculation, calling half-truths "facts", and calling people's character into question over such trivial things. Why are we getting so riled up (hehe) over senseless matters?

Eichorst is a professional and so would probably carry about business in a professional (note: not correct) manner. So Nebraska probably started the coaching search after 2013 Iowa, albeit in a limited fashion. The search probably ramped up post 2014 Wisconsin and was ultimately settled 12/3. I don't doubt that more than Riley was contacted, but that Riley was first on the list. Being essentially a lifelong Corvallis resident, it wasn't a sure thing that Mike was going to come to Lincoln so it was best to have other names (i.e., Bert) lined up in the event that he says no.

Everyone in the athletic department at Nebraska wants Nebraska to succeed. I don't know how anyone is even thinking otherwise.

• Fire 5

I would say ADSE would benefit the most from that being true and that's why he told it like that.

Do you think it's true or was the coaching search going on for longer than that?

I can't speak for knapp, but I personally don't believe there's anyway you fire one coach and make your new hire in less than a week without having done considerable research and or networking prior to the firing.

What in the name of Barney Cotton is going on in this thread? We are speculating about speculation about speculation, calling half-truths "facts", and calling people's character into question over such trivial things. Why are we getting so riled up (hehe) over senseless matters?

Eichorst is a professional and so would probably carry about business in a professional (note: not correct) manner. So Nebraska probably started the coaching search after 2013 Iowa, albeit in a limited fashion. The search probably ramped up post 2014 Wisconsin and was ultimately settled 12/3. I don't doubt that more than Riley was contacted, but that Riley was first on the list. Being essentially a lifelong Corvallis resident, it wasn't a sure thing that Mike was going to come to Lincoln so it was best to have other names (i.e., Bert) lined up in the event that he says no.

Everyone in the athletic department at Nebraska wants Nebraska to succeed. I don't know how anyone is even thinking otherwise.

Great post. I think a lot of people lose sight of the bolded.

I believe the multitide of sources that are saying it happened.

No "multitude" exists. The only actual factual sources could be from the Nebraska Athletic Dept or Bielema's agent.

Oh come on knapp, you know how the hiring game works in this day and age. Do you think Callahan as SP's first choice too?

So now, "multitude of sources" = "you know how the hiring game works in this day and age. OK???