Looking Back At The Last Coaching Hire

Saunders

So Bert made it up just to get a raise from Jeff Long?

Oh, ok....

I sometimes feel like I post all this great stuff and nobody reads it. I've been shadowbanned or I'm on everyone's ignore list.

Bielema got a nice raise in 2/2015, not two months after the "Bert to Nebraska" rumors surfaced. Gil Brandt, his buddy from Wisconsin, was the "source" of these rumors.

Bert now makes in excess of $4,000,000. These rumors aren't an accident, they're related to the new contract, and Bert was never, ever a candidate for the Nebraska job.

So Jeff Long, widely regarded as one of the better AD's around the country, so much so that he was made the head of the new playoff committee... Gave Bert a raise based on a bluff that he didn't at least do some checking on?

I don't buy it.

Are you buying that Bert earned that raise based off his 7-6 season?

No, I'm buying that he (or his agent) legitimately had talks about taking the NU job, and used that as leverage. Jeff Long isn't an idiot.

I find this thread fascinating and entertaining. If I could plus one everyone for their thoughts on it I would.

I'm not so sure what to think anymore, but it's very interesting. I agree with "INAFAIKID" that the decision to let Bo go came after the Iowa game (sideline hat swing and post game "Fire me" rant). Could it be that some dialogue opened up with BB at that time? And maybe went on and off for awhile (quietly)? The Wisconsin game was the kiss of death and by that time BB may have hinted he would come to Lincoln depending on the offer. And then backed out while the rumors helped him get a pay increase. Who knows, but I can only guess.

I never believed the BB rumors, and Gil Brandt isn't perfect. But I never take his words lightly. Because of the man he is, I'll bet if someone reached out to him he would give an honest answer. If he said "yes" about the offer, then I would believe him. Already leaning on it from that tweet.

No, I'm buying that he legitimately had talks about taking the NU job, and used that as leverage. Jeff Long isn't an idiot.

SE: Hello, this is Shawn Eichorst.

JL: Shawn, Jeff Long over here at Arkansas. How y'all doin'?

SE: Just fine, Jeff. What can I do for you?

JL: Bert over hea' tells me y'all are fixin' to offer him a passel of money to be your new head coach. Is that true?

SE: Why, yes it is, John! I'd very much like to hire Mr. Bienema away from the Razorbacks of Arkansas.

JL SLAMS THE PHONE DOWN

JL: JANET! Get the donors on the phone! And git me one of those ginormous novelty checks! We're goin' ta save our coach!

• Fire 1

No, I'm buying that he legitimately had talks about taking the NU job, and used that as leverage. Jeff Long isn't an idiot.

SE: Hello, this is Shawn Eichorst.

JL: Shawn, Jeff Long over here at Arkansas. How y'all doin'?

SE: Just fine, Jeff. What can I do for you?

JL: Bert over hea' tells me y'all are fixin' to offer him a passel of money to be your new head coach. Is that true?

SE: Why, yes it is, John! I'd very much like to hire Mr. Bienema away from the Razorbacks of Arkansas.

JL SLAMS THE PHONE DOWN

JL: JANET! Get the donors on the phone! And git me one of those ginormous novelty checks! We're goin' ta save our coach!

Jeff Long is from Ohio. You have the accent all messed up.

Chris Low spoke with Bret directly about Football Scoop reporting he was talking to Nebraska. Most of the news surrounding the Chris Low reporting was that Bret wasn't going to Nebraska. However, I found this article http://arkansasnews.com/sports/bielema-confirms-commitment-amid-coaching-speculation

He also told ESPN.com’s Chris Low he wasn’t in talks with Nebraska

I suppose you could claim Bret didn't say that he hadn't talked with Nebraska and continue to speculate that he was considered. I don't believe he was but that is probably because I'd rather not see Bret on Nebraska's sideline. His interaction with Badger fans via social media after leaving was bizarre.

• Fire 1

saunders alluded to this earlier, but Bert himself wouldn't have been in talks with Nebraska, especially not Eichorst. Representatives do all the talking. It isn't like the NFL where they have rules against tampering, but the AD community is pretty small. Stuff like that doesn't go over super-well, although (obviously) it happens all the time.

• Fire 3

This whole thing has spiraled into a lot of things.

But no one can prove that Eichorst LIED about the 2 things that Saunders was saying he lied about. If you choose to not believe him, that's your opinion. That doesn't prove he lied.

He has plausible deniability on the Bert offer. But not on the policy change. That was a bold faced lie.

NO it wasn't. Changing your mind on how you handle something, whether you like it or not, is not a lie.

I don't drink Sunday through Thursday. But if I decide to have a beer on a Tuesday, it doesn't make me a liar.

I think people get caught up on the word "liar"

Example...you are a sales guy and applying for a new gig...you were responsible for 9.75 million in sales at your last job...on your resume you put down "Responsible for 10 million in sales"

Did you lie? Sure...are you a liar? Sure...is it a big deal? Only if someone wants to make it one.

SE might not have "offered" the job to anyone else but he sure as heck might have had some other people put out a few feelers.

Even if Eichorst personally sent out a few feelers, "feelers" are not job offers. Even interviewing a coach isn't a job offer.

And in your example, you can simply claim you round up to the nearest million. Perfectly legit. biggrin1.gif

Do you guys honestly think Shawn Eichorst and staff hadn't been performing due diligence on potential new coaches for at least a year before the actual firing of Bo Pelini?

Any AD worth his salt is always performing due diligence on potential new coaches. You never know what the future holds.

• Fire 1

But no one can prove that Eichorst LIED about the 2 things that Saunders was saying he lied about. If you choose to not believe him, that's your opinion. That doesn't prove he lied.

He has plausible deniability on the Bert offer. But not on the policy change. That was a bold faced lie.

NO it wasn't. Changing your mind on how you handle something, whether you like it or not, is not a lie.

I don't drink Sunday through Thursday. But if I decide to have a beer on a Tuesday, it doesn't make me a liar.

True. But to use your analogy; Bo asked Eichorst out for a beer on Monday. Eichorst said, "no thanks, I don't drink beer during the week". On Tuesday, Bo went to the bar and saw Eichorst and Riley taking shots at the bar. Not a lier I guess, he didn't have any beers, but.....

• Fire 1

FootballScoop reported that a "multitude" of sources told them Eichorst approached Bielema first.

http://footballscoop.com/news/nebraskas-short-list-played/

This was quickly followed by Perlman scoffing at that report in the quote I provided above.

People can choose to believe whatever they want, or whatever suits their worldview. There's a lot of turmoil and one-upsmanship going on between the Roussel brothers.

Your logic must be flawed because it doesn't condemn the current staff. Now if you could only produce a pic of Riley behind the grassy knoll......

Example...you are a sales guy and applying for a new gig...you were responsible for 9.75 million in sales at your last job...on your resume you put down "Responsible for 10 million in sales"

Did you lie? Sure...are you a liar? Sure...is it a big deal? Only if someone wants to make it one.

SE might not have "offered" the job to anyone else but he sure as heck might have had some other people put out a few feelers.

I know what you are trying to say but it isn't the same thing.

Exactly! That is why people get caught up with the word "liar"

This is why I personally get caught up in the word lie.

http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/lie

a false statement made with deliberate intent to deceive; anintentional untruth; a falsehood.

It is very hard to prove a "lie". You can believe it was a lie, but proof is much more difficult.

I know what you are trying to say but it isn't the same thing.

Exactly! That is why people get caught up with the word "liar"

This is why I personally get caught up in the word lie.

http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/lie

a false statement made with deliberate intent to deceive; anintentional untruth; a falsehood.

It is very hard to prove a "lie". You can believe it was a lie, but proof is much more difficult.

Yep!