2015 Season By The Numbers

BIG ERN

1st downs defense: 246 (57 rush, 163 pass, 26 penalties) (t-46th)

1st downs offense: 296 (114 rush, 160 pass, 22 penalties) (t-28th)

3rd down conversions: 44.8% (24th)

3rd down coversion defense 34% (26th)

4th down conversions: 62.5% (t-22nd)

4th down coversion defense 34% (t-15th)

Passing efficiency: cmplt %, yards, td/int ratio (66th)

Passing efficiency defense: (78th)

Run defense: 109.8 yds/game (8th)

Sacks allowed: 14 (t-10th)

Sacks forced: 24 (t-80th)

Scoring defense: 27.8 (76th)

Scoring offense: 32.8 (43rd)

Penalty yards: 829 (112th)

Turnover margin: -12 (t-117th)

Edited by NUance
Changed title from 2016 to 2015. I think that's what you meant, right Big Ern?
  • Fire 1

Careful, don't want to go attacking the myth that we've got some blind JV players for an offensive line.

I wonder if they keep track of QB hurries or how many times the QB was flushed out of the pocket. There's two parts to a sack: 1) the offensive line allowing pressure to the QB and 2) the QB being tackled by the defensive linemen. Maybe it's just more salient in my mind, but I remember Tommy being flushed out of the pocket a lot this season which is just as much of an indictment against the offensive line as a sack.

Careful, don't want to go attacking the myth that we've got some blind JV players for an offensive line.

I wonder if they keep track of QB hurries or how many times the QB was flushed out of the pocket. There's two parts to a sack: 1) the offensive line allowing pressure to the QB and 2) the QB being tackled by the defensive linemen. Maybe it's just more salient in my mind, but I remember Tommy being flushed out of the pocket a lot this season which is just as much of an indictment against the offensive line as a sack.

I don't think so (in regards to it being just as much of an indictment). Tommy likes getting out of the pocket, and our coaches like getting him out of the pocket. Our line has been coached to funnel defenders in a good chunk of the time, I think, and while it's definitely true that having a mobile quarterback that is able to avoid pressure has helped the numbers, giving up essentially one sack per game is very good. A lot better than it has been here in a long time.

I don't think so (in regards to it being just as much of an indictment). Tommy likes getting out of the pocket, and our coaches like getting him out of the pocket. Our line has been coached to funnel defenders in a good chunk of the time, I think, and while it's definitely true that having a mobile quarterback that is able to avoid pressure has helped the numbers, giving up essentially one sack per game is very good. A lot better than it has been here in a long time.

I agree. The offensive line did a great job in pass protection this year. I think it's just part of my training to not read a lot into overall statistics because there's a lot more that goes into the story. A quality of an offensive line is more than just sacks allowed, just like the quality of a defensive line is more than just sacks forced.

What's with the 2016 in the title? I think I understand but wondered if I'm missing something... ;)

I think he meant 2015, and it was just a typo. I fixed it for him.

btw, In case anyone is wondering how to change the title of a thread that you started, here's how: Click "Edit" on the first post of your thread, then click the "Use Full Editor" button. You can change the title to whatever you want then.

Here's another stat we should keep in mind when we're talking about our O-line: We faced four of the top 13 rushing defenses in the country this year. Wisconsin #4, Northwestern #13, Mich St. #9 and Iowa #11. LINK

btw, The B1G had three other the top-25 rush defense teams, for a total of seven in the top 25: Nebraska #8, Michigan #18 and tOSU #22. By comparison the SEC had only one top 10 rush defense team (Alabama #1) and four total in the top 25.

I must be missing something. How can we be 26th with a 44.8% conversion rate on O, but 34% on D is only 26th?

I'm not really sure what you're getting at but my guess is you're misinterpreting the numbers. We converted 3rd downs 44.8 percent of the time and our defense allowed opposing offenses to convert 3rd downs 34 percent of the time. One set of numbers is offensive, the other defensive, so they don't really affect one another.

I must be missing something. How can we be 26th with a 44.8% conversion rate on O, but 34% on D is only 26th?

I'm not really sure what you're getting at but my guess is you're misinterpreting the numbers. We converted 3rd downs 44.8 percent of the time and our defense allowed opposing offenses to convert 3rd downs 34 percent of the time. One set of numbers is offensive, the other defensive, so they don't really affect one another.

I get it now. The rankings are the reverse of each other.