DPE Redshirt/Medical Hardship?

seaofred92

A healthy DPE could've meant a lot this year, which goes without saying. I mean, is it fair to say a healthy DPE, capable of returning kicks as he did in 2014, could've meant at least one more win this season?

He really hasn't done much as a receiver here (35 catches, 432 yards over two years). Decent, but obviously, the injury hurt those potentials. But with his ability to flip the field and even score a couple TD's in a season returning the ball...

Medical Hardship Requirements

To be eligible for a medical hardship waiver, a student-athlete has to meet the following criteria:

• The student-athlete must suffer the injury during one of their four seasons of college competition or during the senior year of high school.
  • The injury must be incapacitating. That means it must be a season-ending injury.
  • The injury must occur prior to the start of the second half of the season.
  • The student-athlete must not have competed in more than 30% of the season or three contests, whichever is greater.

http://www.athleticscholarships.net/2012/07/17/how-get-medical-redshirt.htm

Sadly, I don't think that he qualifies for any of these standards.

A healthy DPE could've meant a lot this year, which goes without saying. I mean, is it fair to say a healthy DPE, capable of returning kicks as he did in 2014, could've meant at least one more win this season?

He really hasn't done much as a receiver here (35 catches, 432 yards over two years). Decent, but obviously, the injury hurt those potentials. But with his ability to flip the field and even score a couple TD's in a season returning the ball...

Maybe, maybe not. For whatever reason, we simply didn't get many chances to return punts this year. Our return average wasn't bad but we only had 11 returns on the entire year. Only 11 teams in the country had fewer. Perhaps DPE would have taken a couple more chances but I really don't remember any times that Westy fair caught a ball that he should have returned. And any of those probably would have been offset by teams not wanting to kick to DPE.

Considering there were a bunch of really close games, even a slight change may have mad a difference. But I don't know why we simply weren't getting may chances.

Shouldn't Rose-Ivey get one for missing all of last year? I heard him called a junior all year. Do they have to wait till they exhaust their initial eligibility to apply?

Rose-Ivey redshirted in 2012. Yes he did injure his knee in 2014, but will have to apply for an additional year of eligibility, if he wants to return in 2017, as a 6th year guy.

Shouldn't Rose-Ivey get one for missing all of last year? I heard him called a junior all year. Do they have to wait till they exhaust their initial eligibility to apply?

Rose-Ivey redshirted in 2012. Yes he did injure his knee in 2014, but will have to apply for an additional year of eligibility, if he wants to return in 2017, as a 6th year guy.

So do they have to wait until their "senior" year to apply, or could he apply now?

So do they have to wait until their "senior" year to apply, or could he apply now?

They have to apply for the 6th year of eligibility in their "senior" year.
  • Fire 1

Maybe, maybe not. For whatever reason, we simply didn't get many chances to return punts this year. Our return average wasn't bad but we only had 11 returns on the entire year. Only 11 teams in the country had fewer. Perhaps DPE would have taken a couple more chances but I really don't remember any times that Westy fair caught a ball that he should have returned. And any of those probably would have been offset by teams not wanting to kick to DPE.

Considering there were a bunch of really close games, even a slight change may have mad a difference. But I don't know why we simply weren't getting may chances.

Strange...Our opponents only had a 34% 3rd down conversion rate, too.

Maybe they were just scoring too often?