LJS: State of the Huskers - Offensive Line

Mavric

Experienced returners: Nick Gates, so.; Dylan Utter, sr.

Significant losses: Alex Lewis, Ryne Reeves, Zach Sterup, Chongo Kondolo.

Youth watch: Those freshmen who redshirted this fall should be plenty motivated with NU needing to replace three starters. Michael Decker is someone to watch at center, though seniors Paul Thurston and Utter are also options there. "Decker, that's a good guy right there," Maliek Collins said during bowl practices. "He just goes hard, man. He was little when he first got here. He's been picking up on his weight. I think he's a good center. I think he'll be playing here." Jalin Barnett and Christian Gaylord are also worth keeping in mind. The Huskers appear thin at tackle. Fast development by Gaylord could be important.

The conversation until spring ball is ... a guessing game about which young players step into the spotlight. There will be particular interest in sophomores such as Jerald Foster and Tanner Farmer, seeing if they can join their 2014 recruiting classmate Gates. A big offseason from David Knevel, full of talent but yet to play critical snaps, will be hoped for by many. The Huskers need someone to jump in with confidence and fill the tackle spot opposite Gates.

LJS

• Fire 1

In my opinion, this is the most crucial piece of the puzzle for next year's team.

While I think this is a crucial part, I still think QB play is the biggest thing holding us back and the biggest area of possible improvement next year.

When we weren't throwing interceptions, we moved the ball and scored this year. Yes, there were times when I wished we could just line up and run over someone and it didn't work out. But, as a season as a whole, our offense worked unless we were turning the ball over.....which mostly came from the QB.

That said, I do believe we can see improvement in this unit next year. They will all be under this coaching staff another year. I am encouraged by the staff challenging them after the Iowa game and it looked like they responded well in the UCLA game. Now, if they take that challenged attitude into the off season, it could pay big dividends next year.

• Fire 1

In my opinion, this is the most crucial piece of the puzzle for next year's team.

Agreed, but really, it's the most crucial piece every single season. Line play is what separates the good teams from the great teams.

The Cotton Bowl and the Rose Bowl from this year are exquisite indicators of exactly what kind of line play it takes to win titles, and what bad line play will result in. Iowa and MSU, two teams who have better lines than Nebraska (and Iowa's greatest strength in 2015), combined to run 66 times for about 77 yards in their two postseason games. Alabama's defense is obviously great, and I think there's a good chance Iowa lost some motivation after the conference title loss.

Regardless, Nebraska needs to strive to make this unit one of the greatest in the conference and in the country. Failing to do so is, in my opinion, Nebraska's single greatest failing of the last 15 years.

Hopefully, the young talent we have begins to make their imprint on the program in 2016 and in a positive fashion.

While I think this is a crucial part, I still think QB play is the biggest thing holding us back and the biggest area of possible improvement next year.

Agreed. I know this thread is about the line, but just another thought about Tommy - The biggest frustration about Tommy isn't the isolated incidents where he has severe Jekyl & Hyde syndrome and throws interceptions - The biggest frustration is that we've potentially got the best WR corps in the conference, but don't have a QB that can reliably get them the ball.

Can you really imagine what this season would have been like with a heavier run play selection and a QB with better abilities to read the field? It hurts.

But somewhat back on topic...hopefully our screen pass game can make up for inexperienced run/pass blocking next season. That, and Devine Ozigbo.

Agreed. I know this thread is about the line, but just another thought about Tommy - The biggest frustration about Tommy isn't the isolated incidents where he has severe Jekyl & Hyde syndrome and throws interceptions - The biggest frustration is that we've potentially got the best WR corps in the conference, but don't have a QB that can reliably get them the ball.

Can you really imagine what this season would have been like with a heavier run play selection and a QB with better abilities to read the field? It hurts.

But somewhat back on topic...hopefully our screen pass game can make up for inexperienced run/pass blocking next season. That, and Devine Ozigbo.

But you are correct in both instances. Our OL was so bad at the beginning of the season, that we could not run and Tommy did not have time to throw. Tommy does not perform well under pressure and gets lucky once in a while, but when he has time to throw he has looked good.

This group in 2016 will probably be equal to 2015.

Upper Classmen 2015 > 2016

Talent & Time w/ Coaches 2016 > 2015

Starting in 2017 - should see a strong combination of both Upper Classmen and Talent

I know some local analysts agree Nick Gates is probably the one current linemen with the most NFL potential, so, there's definitely some exciting potential along the lines.

Edited to specify one current 'linemen' and not 'player', which is what I originally posted.

Edited by Enhance89
  • 1 month later...

I found this article interesting as it pertains to the O line. Stai has some interesting comments on the O line rotation (or lack there of).

LINK

* Nebraska offensive line coach Mike Cavanaugh receives his share of flak for generally sticking with five starters during games. Some folks want to see him better prepare backups for the future by inserting them in key moments.

Cavanaugh won't hear any knocks from Brenden Stai, an All-America guard at Nebraska in 1994. Bottom line, Stai prefers limited rotation.

"From playing the game and understanding the game, you learn there is definitely a certain chemistry and certain rhythm you get into collectively as an offensive line," he said. "When you substitute every other series, or two series, it disrupts that a little bit."

At the same time, "If the guys are used to subbing, then it becomes part of the process," Stai said. "I'm not saying either way is right or wrong, but I certainly believe in that chemistry and cohesiveness you build using five. You know what the guy next to you is doing and you get a better feel for what the defense is doing throughout the game rather than coming in and out and trying to warm that back up.

"The game moves fast. Throughout the game, the defense makes adjustments. When you're substituting every other series, I really don't think you can get used to tendencies except for what you've studied on film."

If you don't like Stai's answer, take it up with him. Warning: The 6-foot-4, 300-pound California native still looks like he could play in the NFL.

• Fire 1