With hard part in the past, Nebraska football expects bright future

In 09 and 10 they went 20-8, not too bad. I will be pleasantly surprised if current staff achieves better than 10-4 EVER.

That was 5 to 6 years ago, just to say it was not too bad. And that was as good as it got.

You don't have to like the W-L record this year, I sure don't... but please don't exaggerate that there was something good going on before the last coach got fired.

• Fire 2

Riley's big embarassing loss is to Purdue on the road with a "backup" QB. Sorry but he hasn't even sniffed Bo's sh#t show of losses yet

In Pelini's first year, he had embarrassing losses to #4 Missouri and #4 Oklahoma. Riley certainly sniff's those sh#t shows with Purdue and Illinois...

Because any team in the country that scores 45 points on Purdue is just not good enough on a Saturday? :blink:
Not if you give up 55 in doing so. Fun fact, the 55 Pursue scored against NU was by far the most they scored all season. Next highest scoring output for Purdue was 38 against Indiana State Sycamores in week 2. They only scored over 30 2 more times, scoring 31 in an opening day loss to Marshall and 36 in a season ending loss to Indiana. Nebraska's effort against Purdue was simply abismal, no other way to look at it.

i think the complacency Riley became accustomed to at OSU, was carried over here.......he quickly learned that won't cut it here, especially asleep at the wheel game management.

the real question remains, will he be tuned in this coming season?

I also didn't think Riley and his staff were accustomed to be questioned by the media and the fans like they have been at NU. There were times where his assistants bristled at the media when questioned at their methods. They didn't expect the sophisticated fans and media that are in Nebraska.

Bo had to go for a lot of reasons, lackluster recruiting, coaching, demeanor etc....... It is not going to be easy to get back to being a contender on the national scene. It is going to take a coach with brains, desire, charisma, great recruiter, good coaching staff, attn to detail etc.I like smilin Mike I really do, but he has shone very little to make me believe he has the above qualities to return us to any spot of remote prominence on the national scene. I have been watching NU for way longer than most on here, so I have seen a lot. I feel an acceptance of

our current level of mediocrity just kind of creeping in and I am not sure if there is enough whatever to reverse it.

• Fire 1

In 09 and 10 they went 20-8, not too bad. I will be pleasantly surprised if current staff achieves better than 10-4 EVER.

That was 5 to 6 years ago, just to say it was not too bad. And that was as good as it got.

You don't have to like the W-L record this year, I sure don't... but please don't exaggerate that there was something good going on before the last coach got fired.

Bingo. Using 09 and 10 as proof Riley was a bad hire in 14 while ignoring the middle of that is kinda silly.

Bo had to go for a lot of reasons, lackluster recruiting, coaching, demeanor etc....... It is not going to be easy to get back to being a contender on the national scene. It is going to take a coach with brains, desire, charisma, great recruiter, good coaching staff, attn to detail etc.I like smilin Mike I really do, but he has shone very little to make me believe he has the above qualities to return us to any spot of remote prominence on the national scene. I have been watching NU for way longer than most on here, so I have seen a lot. I feel an acceptance of

our current level of mediocrity just kind of creeping in and I am not sure if there is enough whatever to reverse it.

You pretty much nailed it.

This is a solid view except for one thing. While Mike Riley may not be the guy that brings us back to the national spotlight, he can be the catalyst. Regardless of this up and down season, we finished a lot stronger than any of us expected after the Illinois and Purdue losses. While our current recruiting ranking is quite low, it should finish nicely. If Riley is only here for a few seasons before handing it off before retirement, I will feel much better than if Bo stayed another 3-4 years and left a bare cupboard, no hardware and a negative atmosphere. Riley will create a much better situation for the next guy if it ends up not being him, which it still could.

• Fire 1

This is a solid view except for one thing. While Mike Riley may not be the guy that brings us back to the national spotlight, he can be the catalyst. Regardless of this up and down season, we finished a lot stronger than any of us expected after the Illinois and Purdue losses. While our current recruiting ranking is quite low, it should finish nicely. If Riley is only here for a few seasons before handing it off before retirement, I will feel much better than if Bo stayed another 3-4 years and left a bare cupboard, no hardware and a negative atmosphere. Riley will create a much better situation for the next guy if it ends up not being him, which it still could.

at his age, we are looking at the next guy in 2-4. don't know that we gained much other than sh#t canning Bo.....i'll take it.

at his age, we are looking at the next guy in 2-4. don't know that we gained much other than sh#t canning Bo.....i'll take it.

That sentiment will change after the 2016 season

Nick Saban is 64.

Mike Riley is 62.

Stop with the ageism.

Totally agree. 62 is not that old.

Who knows how long Saban is going to be coaching at Alabama though. He could coach until he's 75 or he could retire in 3 years. So I don't think people are saying Mike Riley can't coach because he's old. Instead, I think people are concerned with Mike Riley's age because it could mean that Nebraska could be in search of another coach within the next 3-4 years, which--dependent on what he does in those seasons might make us question whether it was worth it or not.

Both Saban and Riley are older coaches, but Saban has been at Alabama a lot longer than Riley will ever be at Nebraska.

As someone who currently is 63 and who has played sports and coached at a reasonable level and is or was as competitive a person as they come , I can attest you lose some of that at my age. I just wonder if Mike was ever that competitive, you know that deep down refuse to lose attitude. We have him for at least 2 more yrs , I just don't see a championship of any sort in the cards even if he is here quite a bit longer and I mean a bg10 title. Certainly nothing on a national level. After mike is gone can we get it back, or will we forever be Iowa hmmmmm I don't know maybe, but the next hire better be the utmost best.

• Fire 1

Saban went to Alabama at age 55, he was at an age where he can still invest a lot of time and energy into rebuilding that program. I don't know if Saban is slowing down or not as energetic at 64. He may be an outlier, or he may be handing off more responsibilities to his assistants as he gets older.

Riley is 62 and is being asked to rebuild a program at NU. That's going to require a lot more time and energy and brainpower than continuing a program at its peak.