With hard part in the past, Nebraska football expects bright future

No way is 2015 Purdue the worst loss in even recent Nebraska history. That was a thin team in the midst of a tumultuous season, down its starting QB, its best offensive lineman, two of its starting DBs, and one of its WRs, and they'd lose both their starting RB and most dangerous playmaker in the course of the game too, if I recall. It was a spectacular disaster for the skeleton crew and a very poor showing by them, but that Purdue team also took Michigan State to the wire.People will forget this game, and it won't be a shame, because it was a blip on the radar. If it helped light a fire under some of the NU players who made sure that it became the nadir of the 2015 season, great. We can close the book on that game at this point, IMO.How about this, by the way:

Nebraska played with just 44 active scholarship players from the previous three recruiting classes, a paltry total compared to its major-conference peers.

That's not including the '15 class of what was it, 21?I'd like to see those numbers in better context, but I expect Riley to start building these numbers back up. I'm actually really surprised by the 44 number.

1992 loss to Iowa State is the only other loss that compares to Purdue '15 in the modern era. Absolute bottom of the barrel, even with the excuses.

2004 loss to Southern Miss and 2009 loss to Iowa St are right up there too

If we can forget 70-10 as much as we apparently have -- a game that ultimately proved to be a harbinger of '07 -- a Purdue game that may have precipitated the '15 team's reasonably successful turnaround finish is *definitely* not going down as the worst Husker loss in memory.

• Fire 2

If we can forget 70-10 as much as we apparently have -- a game that ultimately proved to be a harbinger of '07 -- a Purdue game that may have precipitated the '15 team's reasonably successful turnaround finish is *definitely* not going down as the worst Husker loss in memory.

70-10 was in 2004, I don't see how that means anything to what happened in 2007.

The reason the Purdue loss was so bad was that it was an ass-whipping by a team that ended up 2-10. Yes, there were numerous blowouts under other coaches, but getting manhandled by a terrible team is about as low as it gets.

Anyone with any background in playing or coaching a sport would have this as a basic philosophy on dealing with losing:

Don't dwell on losses. Learn from mistakes and make every effort to improve.

In my opinion, that should be the philosophy as a fan as well.

If your opinion differs, fine. You can choose to get upset about a game. You can choose to call people "losers" or "quitters" for having a less emotional reaction to the outcome of a game. I'll choose to err on the side of keeping things in perspective and being entertained by my favorite team.

You don't know what you're talking about.

This is what great coaches think about loosing:

Nick Saban : "I hate losing more than I like winning," Saban said. "There's no doubt about that. The feeling that sticks with you when you fail or don't have success or lose, that's what drives you to keep trying to do it the right way. I don't know if it's fear of failure as much as it is the fear of the feeling of failing. You just don't want to have that feeling of what it's like to lose. I tell the players that."

But here you are preaching to others... to accept loosing... or that the score doesn't matter.

This is complete nonsense and an insult to the sport... and a total insult to anyone who has ever played and gave their all in order to win... those who played and never gave up... an insult to those who weren't quitters.

"Not the Victory, But the Action, Not the Goal, But the Game, In the Deed the Glory"

https://www.google.com/search?q=inscription+on+memorial+stadium&espv=2&biw=1345&bih=916&source=lnms&tbm=isch&sa=X&ved=0ahUKEwiOuPHm-tnKAhUEQCYKHZ4TBgcQ_AUIBigB#imgrc=nlHejfe0gj00VM%3A

• Fire 2

I will hardly ever defend Callahan, but I fail to see how 70-10 correlates to how the team played 3 years later with completely different players.

Same coach. I'll give Callahan plenty of credit where it's due, but that '04 season could have gone better. His teams quit on the field that year. He was able to steady things for a little while, but it wasn't long before he lost the team entirely.

That was his calling card.

Even ignoring the legacy of the loss, that one stands well enough on its own as one of the all-team Husker debacles.

Those words mean nothing to today's Nebraska fan Guy. It is only about wins or losses, not the journey, nor the ability to learn to overcome, stay steadfast. Just win baby. You don't, you suck.

You know they won their Pee Wee league championship and he was coach of the year!!!!

Some that claim to be coaches on this site, should never coach a single child, adult or a pig.

Wisconsin in the 2012 CCG and Washington in the Holiday Bowl 2010 made it seem like all the progress that had come before was just a mirage. More at stake and more depressing.

And yeah, the 2009 Iowa State game may actually have been uglier.

And Wisconsin 2014. Just because it looked so familiar.

And don't forget.....most importantly, they were worse because each of the above were Pelini coached teams.

You know now that you mention it, you should put the lifeless home loss to to a mediocre Texas in 2010 in there, too, when Nebraska was ranked #5, everyone was healthy, and the team sh#t the bed in all phases of the game.

I didn't list the 2010 Texas game because 1) I try my absolute hardest to forget that ever happened and 2) in retrospect we should have seen it coming. We had the #5 team in the land, Texas was awful as awful can be, we had revenge on our minds, it was the Red Out Around The World game, it was in Lincoln, we hadn't trailed in a game all season, we had a new stud QB ETC ETC ETC.

Then the most uninspired roll over and die performance we could have imagined took form as the eventual 5-7 Longhorns made us look stupid.

Wisconsin in the 2012 CCG and Washington in the Holiday Bowl 2010 made it seem like all the progress that had come before was just a mirage. More at stake and more depressing.

And yeah, the 2009 Iowa State game may actually have been uglier.

And Wisconsin 2014. Just because it looked so familiar.

And don't forget.....most importantly, they were worse because each of the above were Pelini coached teams.

You know now that you mention it, you should put the lifeless home loss to to a mediocre Texas in 2010 in there, too, when Nebraska was ranked #5, everyone was healthy, and the team sh#t the bed in all phases of the game.

Agree.

A Pelini team could lose an "important game"......even get blown out at times.

With Riley, throw 12 games in a hat, pick out 6 randomly and you'll have the average season for him.

You can play for championships at 9 wins. Never at 6.

You should look at recycling plastic instead of recycling your own posts.

2008 Mizzou @home

2008 Oklahoma

2009 Texas Tech @ home

2009 Iowa State @ home

2010 Texas @ home

2010 Washington in Bowl after already beating them

2011 Wisconsin

2011 Northwestern @ home

2011 Michigan

2012 Ohio State

2012 Wisconsin title game

2013 UCLA @ home

2013 Michigan State @ home

2013 Iowa @ home

2014 Wisconsin

These games ended up defining the Pelini legacy. All were turds in their own right. Sloppy offense, pourous defense or both! I was lucky enough to see 5 of these live and in person!

Riley's big embarassing loss is to Purdue on the road with a "backup" QB. Sorry but he hasn't even sniffed Bo's sh#t show of losses yet

• Fire 5

I've been hearing this same old song and dance for the past 15 years. Put up or shut up, Riley.

So he should deny all interview requests? Great suggestion.
I'd rather he not say anything at all than the same old gobbledygook I've been hearing for years. Talk is cheap. He has the resources, he has everything they said he'd need in order to achieve greatness. The time is now.
  • Fire 1

I guess I don't get the consternation over Landlord saying that win or lose, he's just excited to watch his favorite team in-person. It's not like any of us are out there physically playing the game on Saturday. That's not saying the coaches or players shouldn't care if they lose. They should! Losing means something in the process went astray and needs to be fixed. But, as fans, we have the ability to not be as invested in the outcome of a game played between college athletes 12-15 times a year in the fall, and some people choose that option.

To be insulted by that is silly, imo.

• Fire 1