With hard part in the past, Nebraska football expects bright future

Why do you guys honestly care so much about wins and losses? At the end of the day, why does it really matter?

I want our team to win every game, but if they don't, especially on 50/50 plays, I just shrug it off and enjoy being able to watch my favorite team compete playing my favorite sport. One play doesn't diminish the effort those kids put forth, or the enjoyment I have being a small part of it if only by watching.

Losing on one bad decision or play is not even in the same stratosphere of embarrassment as giving up 60-70+ and being turned into roadkill by OSU or Wisconsin. The difference between a 6-7 season with a lot of tough breaks and a 10-11 win season is night and day by a lot of your perspectives, when it's really just a difference of a few inches.

• Fire 4

Why do you guys honestly care so much about wins and losses? At the end of the day, why does it really matter?

I want our team to win every game, but if they don't, especially on 50/50 plays, I just shrug it off and enjoy being able to watch my favorite team compete playing my favorite sport. One play doesn't diminish the effort those kids put forth, or the enjoyment I have being a small part of it if only by watching.

Losing on one bad decision or play is not even in the same stratosphere of embarrassment as giving up 60-70+ and being turned into roadkill by OSU or Wisconsin. The difference between a 6-7 season with a lot of tough breaks and a 10-11 win season is night and day by a lot of your perspectives, when it's really just a difference of a few inches.

I don't have an eloquent answer for you. What I do know is winning makes me happy. Losing makes me sad.

• Fire 2

What about giving up 50-60 and being turned into roadkill by PURDUE!?!

You mean what about the most embarrassing loss in the last 50 years? I'd say it was bad. I think people will forget it pretty quickly, which is a shame - although that isn't to say that I'm looking forward to remembering all about it myself.

There isn't enough lipstick in the world to prettify that pig. It was an awful, awful game inside a pretty forgettable season. And since it was all so forgettable, and since that loss was just one amongst several crap games, I'm guessing it gets glossed over as time goes on.

You mean what about the most embarrassing loss in the last 50 years? I'd say it was bad. I think people will forget it pretty quickly, which is a shame - although that isn't to say that I'm looking forward to remembering all about it myself.

There isn't enough lipstick in the world to prettify that pig. It was an awful, awful game inside a pretty forgettable season. And since it was all so forgettable, and since that loss was just one amongst several crap games, I'm guessing it gets glossed over as time goes on.

That game sucked big ol donkey turds.

But, why is it a shame if people forget it?

If this is the bottom for the program and they go up from here...Great.....why dwell on the Purdue game?

If this isn't the bottom, there will be more losses and the staff will be gone.

Why do I specifically need to remember the Purdue game?

OH....and PS......Kind of a moot point because the people who wanted this staff fired the day after they were hired will constantly remind us of the Purdue game into eternity.

If this is the bottom for the program and they go up from here...Great.....why dwell on the Purdue game?

For me, the Illinois and Purdue games are examples of the coaching staff severely mismanaging a game plan and the talent on the roster. Armstrong shouldn't have been passing 40 times against Illinois, and Fyfe shouldn't have been asked to win the game passing against Purdue.

I understand it was the coaching staff's first season with the team, and it took time for them to gain an understanding of the roster and their talents. However, the glaring things about the Illinois and Purdue losses show is that those types of losses are consistent with Riley's history at Oregon State. Riley was always losing to teams that frankly they shouldn't have lost to. Until proven otherwise, I will always think that Riley will have a "turd in the punch bowl" kind of loss each season. These losses are what make a 11-1 or 10-2 conference championship contending team into 8-4 or 9-3 also-rans.

For me, the Illinois and Purdue games are examples of the coaching staff severely mismanaging a game plan and the talent on the roster. Armstrong shouldn't have been passing 40 times against Illinois, and Fyfe shouldn't have been asked to win the game passing against Purdue.

I understand it was the coaching staff's first season with the team, and it took time for them to gain an understanding of the roster and their talents. However, the glaring things about the Illinois and Purdue losses show is that those types of losses are consistent with Riley's history at Oregon State. Riley was always losing to teams that frankly they shouldn't have lost to. Until proven otherwise, I will always think that Riley will have a "turd in the punch bowl" kind of loss each season. These losses are what make a 11-1 or 10-2 conference championship contending team into 8-4 or 9-3 also-rans.

Fine....

But, why do I specifically need to remember the Purdue game?

If we get into year three and we realize this is systemic problem with this staff, there will be many more examples to the problem and a change will probably be made.

I'm still not following why specifically it's a shame if I forget about the Purdue game and move on.

Fine....

If we get into year three and we realize this is systemic problem with this staff, there will be many more examples to the problem and a change will probably be made.

I'm still not following why specifically it's a shame if I forget about the Purdue game and move on.

Go ahead and forget the Purdue game. I am sure I will forget about it after a couple more years and a few more mind-blowing losses. However, with the first year of Riley, the Purdue (and other losses) are glaring examples of why people were concerned about Riley when he was hired, and why people have a lot of concern whether NU will be back in championship form under Riley and his staff.

Look, I want NU to be great and I want NU to win championships. I wanted this with Osborne, Solich, Callahan, Pelini, and now Riley. I will gladly eat crow if Riley wins a conference championship at NU. I just don't see it happening.

I think Landlord asked, why care about wins and losses...I think that is kind of interesting.

I know a few people that have started to say "I won't even turn the game on tonight" or "I forget they were even playing" in regards to Husker hoops.

I know a few, very very few mind you, that have started to not care as much about missing a Husker football game, I don't mean going to Lincoln, I mean just not watching it, or going hunting or doing something else during that time...I would guess that a few more seasons of lame football will lead to more and more of that...maybe not, but I would think it would

I don't want that to happen. I have been to lame places for games, Illinois, Minnesota and so on...it is not even close to the atmosphere in Lincoln and while I do think Husker fans are great fans and loyal...There is usually a limit to that.

Fine....

You're not wrong, and any defense of "it'd be a shame if we forgot the Purdue game" will probably come off as more meaningful than I intended that to be.

I guess what I'm saying is, that Purdue loss was the nadir of Husker Football - a disinterested team, a coach out of sorts, a program in disarray. I'm not exaggerating when I say it was the worst loss I can remember.

Maybe we'll look back at it and say it was the beginning of the end for Riley. Maybe it'll be looked as as the turning point, where things got better. Regardless, it's an important game in Husker history.

• Fire 2

Fine....

You're not wrong, and any defense of "it'd be a shame if we forgot the Purdue game" will probably come off as more meaningful than I intended that to be.

I guess what I'm saying is, that Purdue loss was the nadir of Husker Football - a disinterested team, a coach out of sorts, a program in disarray. I'm not exaggerating when I say it was the worst loss I can remember.

Maybe we'll look back at it and say it was the beginning of the end for Riley. Maybe it'll be looked as as the turning point, where things got better. Regardless, it's an important game in Husker history.

That's right. It was clearly a turning point. Anyone who didn't see a difference in this team after that game wasn't watching. So far that change has been for the better, but the jury is still decidedly hung

• Fire 1

Fine....

That's right. It was clearly a turning point. Anyone who didn't see a difference in this team after that game wasn't watching. So far that change has been for the better, but the jury is still decidedly hung

The team was a different team after the Purdue game. However, it took a miracle play/referee call against Michigan State for NU to go even 3-1 in that stretch.

What I am worried about Riley going forward is that he will start off slow every season with 2-3 losses in the first 1/2 to 2/3 of the year, and then he will "figure out his team" and finish on an upswing. In college football, every game is important, especially as NU moves to 9 conference games next year.

Even if they called Reilly out of bounds, that game isn't a loss. That was only 2nd-&-10, with 17 seconds on the clock. Plenty of time for another couple of plays. So we can't really say that game's a loss if we don't get that miracle call - with the understanding that it was a miracle call.

Still, 2-2 down the stretch, having played two undefeated, top-ten teams toe to toe, and beaten a decent UCLA squad (albeit with dubious motivation, caveat, caveat, caveat) would have showed some improvement.

The concern that Riley starts slow or hasn't (or won't) figure out his team is valid, and we'll only know if Purdue was a turning point at the end of another season. Every game next year figures to be another Purdue.

No way is 2015 Purdue the worst loss in even recent Nebraska history. That was a thin team in the midst of a tumultuous season, down its starting QB, its best offensive lineman, two of its starting DBs, and one of its WRs, and they'd lose both their starting RB and most dangerous playmaker in the course of the game too, if I recall. It was a spectacular disaster for the skeleton crew and a very poor showing by them, but that Purdue team also took Michigan State to the wire.

People will forget this game, and it won't be a shame, because it was a blip on the radar. If it helped light a fire under some of the NU players who made sure that it became the nadir of the 2015 season, great. We can close the book on that game at this point, IMO.

How about this, by the way:

Nebraska played with just 44 active scholarship players from the previous three recruiting classes, a paltry total compared to its major-conference peers.

That's not including the '15 class of what was it, 21?

I'd like to see those numbers in better context, but I expect Riley to start building these numbers back up. I'm actually really surprised by the 44 number.

• Fire 2

Fine....

The team was a different team after the Purdue game. However, it took a miracle play/referee call against Michigan State for NU to go even 3-1 in that stretch.

What I am worried about Riley going forward is that he will start off slow every season with 2-3 losses in the first 1/2 to 2/3 of the year, and then he will "figure out his team" and finish on an upswing. In college football, every game is important, especially as NU moves to 9 conference games next year.

That's a valid concern.

It's easier for a coach to "know his team" after he has had them a year or so. I believe (with nothing to back it up) that if Riley had this team, this year with a year under his belt with them, we win more of those early games.

It will be interesting to see next year.