Quarterback Development

BRV920

So Langdorf developed Armstrong this season? Still throws off his back foot, still makes bad decisions in the passing game, and still won't throw the ball away instead of taking a sack. Sorry I'm not impressed with Langsdorf and don't even get me started on his play calling.

Did you miss the part about where TA basically didn't listen to him most of the year. How can you help someone if they will not listen to you? Just like me trying to help you understand, but you not listening.

So Langs had one year with him and Beck had how many??

Depends on how you want to look at it. Beck was here when TA was a True Freshman and then he was kind of thrown in as a redshirt freshman and then the sophomore year. So the one on one time Beck spent with TA with Martinez still on the team leads me to believe it was about the same amount of time as Langsdorf this year.

No, Beck had 3 years and Langsdorf only 1. You can't just dismiss the RS year and his RFr. year, Beck's job was to develop him through out that time as well. Not to mention that TA started the majority of the year his RFr. year so essentially Beck had him for 2 full years as a Starter vs. Langsdorf's 1 year with TA as the Starter. TA just hasn't progressed to this point as we all had hoped for whatever reason. Lets just hope the light goes on fully his final year.

I can do whatever I want. I am the 2016 Huskerboard Defensive Coordinator

• Fire 1

So Langdorf developed Armstrong this season? Still throws off his back foot, still makes bad decisions in the passing game, and still won't throw the ball away instead of taking a sack. Sorry I'm not impressed with Langsdorf and don't even get me started on his play calling.

Did you miss the part about where TA basically didn't listen to him most of the year. How can you help someone if they will not listen to you? Just like me trying to help you understand, but you not listening.

Depends on how you want to look at it. Beck was here when TA was a True Freshman and then he was kind of thrown in as a redshirt freshman and then the sophomore year. So the one on one time Beck spent with TA with Martinez still on the team leads me to believe it was about the same amount of time as Langsdorf this year.

No, Beck had 3 years and Langsdorf only 1. You can't just dismiss the RS year and his RFr. year, Beck's job was to develop him through out that time as well. Not to mention that TA started the majority of the year his RFr. year so essentially Beck had him for 2 full years as a Starter vs. Langsdorf's 1 year with TA as the Starter. TA just hasn't progressed to this point as we all had hoped for whatever reason. Lets just hope the light goes on fully his final year.

I can do whatever I want. I am the 2016 Huskerboard Defensive Coordinator

Good for you, that and 50 cents might get you a cup of coffee..........................

wow if this was really the case - we now have an idea why player development under past staff was not top notch. Focusing ONLY on the starters and not preparing the underclassmen seems like a good way to fail in the college game.

wow if this was really the case - we now have an idea why player development under past staff was not top notch. Focusing ONLY on the starters and not preparing the underclassmen seems like a good way to fail in the college game.

I don't think it was that big of a secret on here that people believed Beck was bad at developing players at the QB position.

I just don't think Beck has much of a QB focus resume. It's revealing when you hear talk about what he wanted his QBs to do, such as "just be a RB who throws" or "just get the ball there" (paraphrasing). You could see it in the approach and in the design of the offense.

Not only can we see how different it is, we *know* Langsdorf's QB coaching credentials. That's his background, his reputation, and not for nothing was he asked to do it in the NFL.

Still, it's not as if we saw a very large sample from him, either. To a large extent QB development is about the player and his own starting point. When you get guys who have big parts of their game that are nigh unfixable in college -- surprise! So, it's also a recruiting thing, both in the types of players you get and how well you take care of depth & competition at the position overall. Some of that goes back on the HC. And sometimes it's just luck, as finding and keeping QBs can be a hit-or-miss business.

Taylor Martinez developed

Was it because of Beck, or Calhoun (the QB guru)? I seem to remember seeing the most improvement out of Martinez the year after he spent the summer with Calhoun. Admittedly, I could be remembering that wrong....

Good question, and basically that's my entire point? There are hundreds of direct and indirect factors that play into the complex, massive equation of how good a player and a football team are, with everything being to matters of degrees.

Certainly Beck had an influence on Taylor Martinez, and so did Calhoun, and so did maturing from freshman to senior, and so did his offensive system, and so did the schedule he played against, and so did his own work ethic, and so did a plethora of other factors.

So who the hell are any of us to say with any kind of certainty something like Tim Beck is awful at developing quarterbacks? There's too many factors at play to know.

• Fire 1

Taylor Martinez developed

Was it because of Beck, or Calhoun (the QB guru)? I seem to remember seeing the most improvement out of Martinez the year after he spent the summer with Calhoun. Admittedly, I could be remembering that wrong....

Good question, and basically that's my entire point? There are hundreds of direct and indirect factors that play into the complex, massive equation of how good a player and a football team are, with everything being to matters of degrees.

Certainly Beck had an influence on Taylor Martinez, and so did Calhoun, and so did maturing from freshman to senior, and so did his offensive system, and so did the schedule he played against, and so did his own work ethic, and so did a plethora of other factors.

So who the hell are any of us to say with any kind of certainty something like Tim Beck is awful at developing quarterbacks? There's too many factors at play to know.

I can agree with that analysis, but I think some people are pointing to the difference in experience when developing QB's, between Langsdorf, and Beck. Beck was a RB coach at KU, and then at Nebraska. Langsdorf was given the reins to Eli Manning, and I assume it was for good reason. You would expect that long term Langsdorf is going to get more out of our QB's based on past experience with the position. Certainly no guarantee though....

Nebraska has had good, occasionally great but too often mistake-prone offenses under both Beck and Langsdorf.

They were both handed dual threat quarterbacks with sub-average completion percentages, and fared about as well as other OCs with mercurial dual threat QBs. There are a lot of them out there, because dual threat QBs are really dangerous when they're working, but liabilities when defenses can rattle them.

You have to give Beck credit for Abdullah, in as much as no other team wanted to feature him as running back. For that matter, the maligned Beck and Watson oversaw three of the top rushing careers in Nebraska history with Helu, Burkhead and Abdullah. All three are currently in the NFL. While regularly operating a Top 20 rushing offense, Beck managed to guide Taylor Martinez to virtually ever passing and total offense record in Nebraska history. And Bell to the career receiving record. Langsdorf might well be the guy to help Tommy Armstrong break that total offense record. You can't say he had anything close to Abdullah, Burkhead or Helu to help keep the running game honest.

Know what? Our defense has kinda sucked recently.

• Fire 1

I can agree with that analysis, but I think some people are pointing to the difference in experience when developing QB's, between Langsdorf, and Beck. Beck was a RB coach at KU, and then at Nebraska. Langsdorf was given the reins to Eli Manning, and I assume it was for good reason. You would expect that long term Langsdorf is going to get more out of our QB's based on past experience with the position. Certainly no guarantee though....

I agree with that.

Overall I'd say Langsdorf has a better resume than Beck in that specific regard, at least as far as grooming a proto-typical NFL-style quarterback. But then again, Langsdorf has been doing it for well over a decade with better prototype pro-style players, while Beck has been at it for a few years with mercurial dual-threat guys.

The only thing I get tired of is the simplistic, "Beck sucks", "Watson was garbage" rhetoric. For whatever reasons, those guys oversaw the most productive players in school history at the three main skill positions, as well as notable success elsewhere (Beck at KU, Watson at Cincy). That says something at least. Our offenses have been good to great the last 8 years with the exception of 2009, which was a conscious decision by the head man.

I'm excited for Langsdorf's potential going forward with our quarterbacks, with nothing negative to say about who came before him. Overall, our offense was once again, pretty damn good this last season, especially looking at the context of who we had on the field.

• Fire 2

I agree with that.

Overall I'd say Langsdorf has a better resume than Beck in that specific regard, at least as far as grooming a proto-typical NFL-style quarterback. But then again, Langsdorf has been doing it for well over a decade with better prototype pro-style players, while Beck has been at it for a few years with mercurial dual-threat guys.

The only thing I get tired of is the simplistic, "Beck sucks", "Watson was garbage" rhetoric. For whatever reasons, those guys oversaw the most productive players in school history at the three main skill positions, as well as notable success elsewhere (Beck at KU, Watson at Cincy). That says something at least. Our offenses have been good to great the last 8 years with the exception of 2009, which was a conscious decision by the head man.

I'm excited for Langsdorf's potential going forward with our quarterbacks, with nothing negative to say about who came before him. Overall, our offense was once again, pretty damn good this last season, especially looking at the context of who we had on the field.

You mean Louisville?

No matter who you want to play favorites with or how well/poorly you believe the team's recent quarterbacks have developed, the truth is that offensive coaching and player development has been lacking around Nebraska for some time. This date's back to Shawn Watson's woeful '09 offense, the dumbfounding offensive ineptitude against Texas/Texas A&M in 2010, the lack of progression Armstrong has gone through over the last two years, etc.

The largest mistake any of us can make, however, is believing that all variables are equal from year to year or that players are not culpable for their actions. I think some people tend to act like they can't put adequate blame on college players for their performances. They're culpable as well (to a degree) and when they step between the white lines, it is ultimately up to them to win the game.

• Fire 3

I'd take Beck over Langsdorf any day. For a QB genius he sure did a sh**ty job with Armstrong.

It's pretty well known by now, or at least I thought it was, that TA wasn't taking direction for Langsdorf very well. He was channeling his inner Farve(who he spent time with last summer) instead and tried to be a gun slinger. Once he finally decided he f'd up, after the regular season, and admitted it he looked different in the Bowl game. Once he decided to finally listen to Langsdorf for the bowl game weren't as many crazy passes, better game management, used his legs more instead of trying to force throws. So, I'm not sure what you are talking about. Don't blame TA being selfish on Langsdorf.

Langsdorf should bench his QB if the QB does not follow directions. If one player gets away with not being a team player, more will follow.

I'd take Beck over Langsdorf any day. For a QB genius he sure did a sh**ty job with Armstrong.

It's pretty well known by now, or at least I thought it was, that TA wasn't taking direction for Langsdorf very well. He was channeling his inner Farve(who he spent time with last summer) instead and tried to be a gun slinger. Once he finally decided he f'd up, after the regular season, and admitted it he looked different in the Bowl game. Once he decided to finally listen to Langsdorf for the bowl game weren't as many crazy passes, better game management, used his legs more instead of trying to force throws. So, I'm not sure what you are talking about. Don't blame TA being selfish on Langsdorf.

Langsdorf should bench his QB if the QB does not follow directions. If one player gets away with not being a team player, more will follow.

Was Ryker a team player when he skipped summer workouts?