Banker: Huskers to Look at Rugby-Style Tackling

Mavric

I was just talking to our HC, and we just kind of shrugged our shoulders and said....well it's nothing different from what we teach. It's the athletes willingness to get low to make the tackle that is the difference.

I've always thought hitting high was super lazy.

Not having a helmet or pads is good motivation for clean hits.

When I was a kid we played a lot of tackle football without pads. There were very few injuries. I always thought pads made people too brave.

It taught us how to tackle properly because we didn't want to hurt our friends or ourselves. I don't recall any instance as a grade school kid playing tackle football without pads where a kid got hit and laid there in pain. Sure we were sore the next day or cut up.

The only hope I have is for my future kids to have enough friends that would be willing to play tackle football without pads. It helps build a kids pain tolerance.

As a runner and receiver I've been leg tackled more than a few times.

I can tell you that when done right... it leaves the runner with the most helpless feeling they can experience as a runner. You're going down... and you know it.

It's like your legs become instantly mummified... wrapped together so tightly... actually pinned together with such force that they literally become immovable. It's a helpless feeling. The best tacklers I played against all seemed to add something else to the tackle... it's like they add a rolling motion to the tackle which causes the runner to not only have their legs pinned together but you are now also spinning towards a sideways trajectory as you go down which makes the tackle even more assured.

Any other type of tackle... you know you are still running... you still have a chance to gain more yards... you can still escape.

With a well executed leg tackle... the runner is done for that play.

• 4 weeks later...

• 5 months later...

I don't really care how they tackle as long as they get the job done. If the surest and most effective way leads to a couple targeting and ejection calls per game, so be it. Sure they can teach them to try to avoid it but the last thing I want to see is guys overly concerned about how to avoid the penalty. I don't want to see them headhunting or spearing or anything like that but judging off the 2 calls yesterday, I think we're just going to have to accept it as part of the game now.

My personal opinion is the game is moving so fast and the players are so athletuc nowadays that all they can really be concerned about is getting the guy on the ground. The ones where they can pull up or alter their trajectory will be fairly obvious to the players. However, the other ones.....well, just tackle the sumbitch and hope it goes our way.

We had a third down play early in the frst half where going low hurt us. Kalu went low on their WR on a swing pass on like 3rd and 2 and the kid fell forward for the 1st down. Had Kalu hit him up top he probably stops him short.

That said,

I recall one blitz where MRI had their QB dead to rights up the middle and just flat ran right by him... but did we actually miss a single tackle where we made contact?