Banker: Huskers to Look at Rugby-Style Tackling

Mavric

The best tackler I've seen in the last ten years on our HS team always went for the legs and wrapped up. Didn't have the big hits but always got the guy down on the spot.

Yep, big hits don't matter..just bring em down. We teach tackle the waist. We never stress "blowing up the runner" or any of that. It's automatic these days if u lower your head they'll call a penalty

i am not so sure this makes a lot of sense, rugby is very different than football, hitting the runner in his upper body and wrapping up is the way the game is taught.......upper body hits are made to wear down the runner and deliver body blows that tire him out......leg tackling is not going to be the best option for getting a guy down in all cases....

I don't know what video you were watching, but the rugby guys are tackling at the waist, which is the best option for getting a guy down in virtually all cases. Simple laws of physics.

Wrapping up is always good, but it's harder to do when you're targeting the upper body, where ball carriers are stiff arming while the legs are still churning. Upper body hits still give the advantage to the ball carrier and they've gotten a little lazy over the years.

Like it or not, the rugby tackle also removes the targeting penalties that have killed so many defensive stands in recent years.

I don't see how upper body hits tire a runner out more than putting a shoulder to his stomach and pile driving him to the ground.

But if you simply don't like anything new being done by the coaching staff at Nebraska, your concern is duly noted.

i am not so sure this makes a lot of sense, rugby is very different than football, hitting the runner in his upper body and wrapping up is the way the game is taught.......upper body hits are made to wear down the runner and deliver body blows that tire him out......leg tackling is not going to be the best option for getting a guy down in all cases....

Wrapping up is always good, but it's harder to do when you're targeting the upper body, where ball carriers are stiff arming while the legs are still churning. Upper body hits still give the advantage to the ball carrier and they've gotten a little lazy over the years.

Did somebody say, "stiff arm"? KABOOM!

567f7c0d35140.image.jpg?resize=620%2C391

• Fire 1

Rugby is also nastier than football, if you're worried about the wussification of American sports.

Not really. The system of down and distance and the forward pass leads to a lot more high speed collisions in football.

Uhm.....there's a lot more to nastiness than high speed collisions with protective equipment.

I don't know what video you were watching, but the rugby guys are tackling at the waist, which is the best option for getting a guy down in virtually all cases. Simple laws of physics.

Like it or not, the rugby tackle also removes the targeting penalties that have killed so many defensive stands in recent years.

I don't see how upper body hits tire a runner out more than putting a shoulder to his stomach and pile driving him to the ground.

But if you simply don't like anything new being done by the coaching staff at Nebraska, your concern is duly noted.

last time i checked, the stomach was above the legs.......what are you missing?

I was just talking to our HC, and we just kind of shrugged our shoulders and said....well it's nothing different from what we teach. It's the athletes willingness to get low to make the tackle that is the difference.

I've always thought hitting high was super lazy.

Not having a helmet or pads is good motivation for clean hits.

When I was a kid we played a lot of tackle football without pads. There were very few injuries. I always thought pads made people too brave.

• Fire 1