Huskers Considered Jerry Kill for Head Job

Mavric

Not true...we were told it was Riley and only Riley.

That's not necessarily true. Pull up SE's quotes. I believe he said offered only one man the job. Doesn't mean there weren't short private conversations with others to test interests.

You have to remember, Riley had turned down many opportunities in past...

Nope. That's not what ADSE said. That's what Harvey said.

• Fire 1

Hate to say it, but personally, the health concerns would've kept me at bay as a future employer from a head coaching perspective.

I don't think it would have for me. Respectability and stability are both things he would've brought, and if you have to do it again in a few years, that's fine. Granted, he may not have been the best option still, but it doesn't totally cross him off the list. Given how things ultimately transpired, it may be for the best -- as Kill retired halfway into '15, right?

He had known health issues that forced him to retire not even a year later. How would he have brought stability? I mean, there's a chance that he could've stayed healthy enough, but I don't think anyone was too surprised when he had to step down. That's just not a good risk to take, IMO.

• Fire 1

Carl Mauck helped coach my High school in Argyle, Texas at times because of his ties to our head coach Todd Rodgers who is now I believe the winningest coach in current Texas high school football.

Guess who accompanied Carl a few times to our practices and our games to check out our 3-4 hybrid defense?

None other than Wade Phillips, fresh out of a head coaching job with the Dallas Cowboys.

Small World.

ps. Carl Mauck is one guy you do not want to piss off.

attachicon.gifgallery_1_227_1167515.jpg

Carl is on the left with Wade in the middle

I remember that story. Naturally it ran big here in Dallas-Fort Worth. Thought it was pretty cool.

I like Kill and what he did for Minnesota. Had mix feelings about him coming to Nebraska, only because of the seizure situation being a possible red flag. Good coach though and would have been on board with him probably regardless. As it is, I stand behind HCMR and anticipate that he will get the Cornhuskers back on track real soon.

Sure, MAYBE Riley was the only guy ADSE actually "offered" the job to. Just like drug dealers would say "So I'm not saying I have an eight ball, but if I or a guy I know had one, would you be interested?"

Kill would have been a good choice. But clearly it wouldn't have worked out since he is now gone from Minnysoda from health issues.

Just because Jerry Kill was "considered" it doesn't mean he made the top group for consideration. All that means is he was looked at and probably studied and interviewed. They could have "looked at" 10-15 guys.

But ADSE said he didn't. And many people want to believe that.

We can get into semantics all we want; for all we know ADSE focused on HCMR, and had his team putting feelers out for Plan B guys if needed, to include Jerry Kill. They weren't needed, so nothing more became of it. If that was the scenario, then yes I would agree that ADSE didn't consider anyone else but HCMR as he never went to his plan B list. Not sure I get the obsession over the exact scenario.

Sure, MAYBE Riley was the only guy ADSE actually "offered" the job to. Just like drug dealers would say "So I'm not saying I have an eight ball, but if I or a guy I know had one, would you be interested?"

Sounds like your drug dealer is a narc.

IT AINT EASY BEING CHEEEEEZAY!!!!!!!

• Fire 1