Louisiana Governor Threatens Cancellation of LSU Football Season if Tax Increases Aren't Passed

Mavric

As I mentioned earlier, if the legislature fails to act and we are forced to proceed with these cuts, the LSU Ag Center and parish extension offices in every parish, and Pennington Biomedical Research Center will close by April 1st and the LSU main campus in Baton Rouge will run out of money after April 30th, as will the Health Sciences Center in Shreveport and LSU Eunice. There is no money left for payroll after those dates. The Southern University System, and University of Louisiana System, and the Louisiana Community and Technical College System are in the same boat: without legislators approving new revenue this special session, some campuses will be forced to declare financial bankruptcy, which would include massive layoffs and the cancellation of classes.

If you are a student attending one of these universities, it means that you will receive a grade of incomplete, many students will not be able to graduate and student athletes across the state at those schools will be ineligible to play next semester. That means you can say farewell to college football next fall.

Link

Nothing like fear-mongering to try to get your way.

• Fire 1

Is it fear mongering to say there is no money left for payroll?

Ya, sounds like a little bit of a bigger issue than just fear mongering. If there isn't any money, there isn't any money. Only question I have is, with LSU football bringing in so much money, how can the school not be able to pay its employees? The state school should use the resources it has to help itself.

I'm not really sure the extent of Louisiana's budget issues. I guess the concept of publicly funded institutions' continued operation being dependent on legislature action isn't that unusual to me. Maybe football will remain safe from eligibility issues, but does it make their lack of funds issues any less serious? Or is the argument here that Louisiana's crisis is blownnout of proportion?

Ya, sounds like a little bit of a bigger issue than just fear mongering. If there isn't any money, there isn't any money. Only question I have is, with LSU football bringing in so much money, how can the school not be able to pay its employees? The state school should use the resources it has to help itself.

They do but it is still not enough. https://www.businessreport.com/article/lsu-athletics-revenue-sixth-highest-among-universities-2013-14

The state wants budget cuts in the tune of $131 million and the LSU system would have to pay their share of that and it is $65 million.

Here is another article that tells what would have to happen for the education systems to meet the budget cuts. http://www.theadvertiser.com/story/news/local/education/2016/01/25/lsu-says-budget-cuts-force-widespread-layoffs/79328204/

• Fire 1

it takes a lot of under the table money to pay for all those athletes.

• Fire 2

This is not going to happen... LSU football will be fine.

But it makes me think.....

For some people out there... this possibility was about the same as a sexual fantasy.

Far left wacky people would love nothing more than to just out right outlaw football as it is a demonstration of toxic masculinity. And it's not just football either. Competition should be outlawed.

Here is hoping those types of mindsets never gain traction.

For some people out there... this possibility was about the same as a sexual fantasy.

Far left wacky people would love nothing more than to just out right outlaw football as it is a demonstration of toxic masculinity. And it's not just football either. Competition should be outlawed.

I have never heard of these people. So I think you're likely making this crap up over concussion safety issues and for some reason you're attaching the desire for keeping football players from getting a disease that causes depression and suicidal tendencies to some liberal "agenda" you've devised in your head.

I'm sure there are a handful of people in the U.S. who think along the lines of what you've just described but there aren't enough to make them worthy of being posted about and there's no evidence that they're "far left."

• Fire 5

I have never heard of these people. So I think you're likely making this crap up over concussion safety issues and for some reason you're attaching the desire for keeping football players from getting a disease that causes depression and suicidal tendencies to some liberal "agenda" you've devised in your head.

I'm sure there are a handful of people in the U.S. who think along the lines of what you've just described but there aren't enough to make them worthy of being posted about and there's no evidence that they're "far left."

I personally know people who don't like sports and wish the University had no part in it. If they had their way, the University would be strictly academic.

I'm not really sure the extent of Louisiana's budget issues. I guess the concept of publicly funded institutions' continued operation being dependent on legislature action isn't that unusual to me. Maybe football will remain safe from eligibility issues, but does it make their lack of funds issues any less serious? Or is the argument here that Louisiana's crisis is blownnout of proportion?

This is my point. It can be a serious problem without having to make it sound like every academic institution in the state is suddenly going to cease operation. The difference between trying to draw attention to an issue that you want people to be aware of and trying to make it sound like the most horrible situation anyone can imagine will come to pass if you don't let him do what he wants.

Fear mongering.