CFN: 5 Keys For The Cornhuskers 2016 Schedule

Saunders

– The Cornhuskers go the Mountain West route for the first two games against Fresno State and Wyoming at home, and then the fun really begins with a visit from Oregon. Win that, and it’s Game On in terms of national exposure.

– After handling the Illinois teams – going to Northwestern and facing Illinois – Nebraska gets a desperately needed week off in early October. And then comes the key run of three road games in four weeks, going to Indiana, Wisconsin and Ohio State. Getting Purdue as the home game helps.

– The three big games against the West come against Northwestern, Wisconsin and Iowa all on the road. That’s hardly a plus.

– There might be a showdown at Ohio State, but Indiana and Maryland are the other games against the East, and they’re both at home. There’s no Michigan or Michigan State

– WATCH OUT FOR … the road game at Indiana. With so many big games ahead, and considering the previous games against Oregon and Northwestern, there can’t be any mistakes. Losing in Bloomington would be a disaster.

http://collegefootballnews.com/2016/nebraska-football-schedule-2016-5-keys-for-the-cornhuskers

• Fire 1

Rough? Really? I think they might be favored in all but 2 games.

Looking at the 2015 schedule, I figured 9-10 wins was a given as it was a cake walk.

Road:

The 4 Big 10 road games were @Illinois, @MINN, @Purdue, and @Rutgers. If you would have told me we would go 2-2 in those games I would think you were crazy. 2016 is @NW, @Indiana, @Wisc, @OSU, and @Iowa. I'd say the only 1 we for sure should win would be Indiana. Until they can consistently beat NW, not sure how we can just chalk that one up. I could easily see NU go 1-4 on the road. I think best case is 3-2, no way they beat OSU on the road.

Home:

No way NU isn't 2-0 out of the gate but I don't see how they slow down Oregon. The rest of the home games should be wins. I don't see them dropping any to Illinois, Purdue, Minn, or Maryland at home.

I think realistically based on last year, they go 7-5 or 8-4. I just think this year's schedule is much harder than last year where we finished sub .500. I knew with the new staff there would be growing pains but I don't think anyone thought 5-7 would happen with who they lost to and the schedule.

• Fire 1

We had an easy 2015 schedule in terms of what we could have and should have won. The growing pains were deeper than we thought going in and we salvaged a 6-7 season that could have easily been 10-3 or 3-9.

This year, the schedule hardens up a bit.

-Fresno State and Wyoming at home are wins. No S.Miss late heroics scare, we handle them both to a 2-0 start.

-Oregon should never be taken lightly. They struggled last year though and do they have an established QB this season? Hopefully the loss of Scott Frost tips this in our favor, I like our chances to notch a big time win.

-We have never lost at NW and they beat us at home again last year. We hang 40+ on em in 2016, same for the Illini in Lincoln.

-@Indiana and Purdue in Lincoln. Indiana gets their first crack at us but falls short late in an early shootout. Purdue, sorry but youll be luck to get 10 this time around.

-Wiscy and Ohio State. I give us a 1-1 record and I have no clue who we beat. I think tOSU has a down year but I think we will play Wiscy harder. Both on the road, both hard, both not impossible.

-Maryland.....right.

-Iowa will regress big time this season, mark it. We go and knock the crap out of them on the road this year.

*edit- forgot Minnysoda. I expect them to struggle without Kill at the helm and we rough them up.

as said, schedule is much tougher and don't expect POB to come to the rescue........he will need time to develop and if MR forces him in early, he will throw pics and see sacks........

with our O and D lines so young and w/o experience, honestly, you can figure 5-7 again.........don't get caught up in the preseason hype we so often see........it's fun to be excited, new seasons are always well anticipated, but keep it real........hope i am wrong, but we're building, not reloading.

Well .... we have Fresno State, Wyoming, Illinois, Indiana, Purdue and Maryland on the schedule. Not losing more than one of those would be five wins and it should be six.

Then there's Northwestern, Wisconsin, Minnesota and Iowa. You'd hope we could at least go 2-2 against them which would be 7-8 wins.

And there's really no reason we can win all 10 of those.

That only leaves Oregon and Ohio State as games most people would "expect" us to lose.

Five wins would be an absolute failure. Six or Seven wins would be bad but may be explained by how things go. Eight or more is really where we should be with any kind of improvement.

as said, schedule is much tougher and don't expect POB to come to the rescue........he will need time to develop and if MR forces him in early, he will throw pics and see sacks........

with our O and D lines so young and w/o experience, honestly, you can figure 5-7 again.........don't get caught up in the preseason hype we so often see........it's fun to be excited, new seasons are always well anticipated, but keep it real........hope i am wrong, but we're building, not reloading.

Please, point to the 7 losses you envision.

I don't see how anyone can think NU can put together a long winning streak of any kind, based on what we have seen from the team the past few years.

Some people will want to show faith with the new staff, but I need to see it happen first.

See Nebraska vs MSU or Nebraska vs UCLA from 2015.

I don't see how anyone can think NU can put together a long winning streak of any kind, based on what we have seen from the team the past few years.

Some people will want to show faith with the new staff, but I need to see it happen first.

I definitely see what you're saying.

But two years ago we won five in a row. Four years ago we won six in a row. So it's not like it hasn't happened.

We could win 10 games - losing to Oregon and Ohio State - while only having one stretch of five in a row.

• Fire 1

We could lose any of the games besides Fresno and WYO.

Indiana can score in bunches and we lost to Illinois and Perdue last year so get real, it could happen again. We need to play as hard as we can w a consistent team effort in all facets to compete against every team. We haven't shown that type of consistency in years and years. Just sayin, I don't count any team a win anymore, which sucks.

• Fire 2