"Us Against The World"

Mavric

Politely disagree that there was much healthy about Bo's culture. Coaches' actions spoke for themselves.

"Who has a good relationship with the fans?"

It may not have been all sunshine and lollipops, but the "culture" story has turned into the Stay Puft Marshmallow Man.

Because one player says differently than the administration did? I think it is very likely that Bo did foster an inappropriate culture with the team.

When players on the team and the new coaches (ala Mike Riley) are saying it was overblown, I'm going to go with what they say.

I don't know about you but I wouldn't really expect them to say otherwise

• Fire 4

I think this often gets taken as putting it all on the current players, which isn't fair.

However, it's impossible to go from a guy like Bo in the leadership chair, to a guy like Mike Riley, and not have an adjustment period (for players and assistants alike). How you respond. How you follow, or deal, with the HC. What you focus on. Whether you're still focused on defending against critics of the 2014 atmosphere, as one example.

It wasn't all bad and surely it isn't all good now. The point is that Riley's (very clearly, though of course he's not going to put the last guy down) putting a different stamp on the team, which takes time to take root.

Just take the players nodding and humming along with Bo last December in that Lincoln HS auditorium, for example. Some players can't repudiate their past, positive experiences in Nebraska and it would be unfair to ask them to. They're still valuable team members and leaders with their own varying perspectives on both this staff and the last. What is exciting, though, is that new classes of Husker players are not being molded 'neath the same noxious cloud that was here before.

• Fire 1

Politely disagree that there was much healthy about Bo's culture. Coaches' actions spoke for themselves.

It may not have been all sunshine and lollipops, but the "culture" story has turned into the Stay Puft Marshmallow Man.

Because one player says differently than the administration did? I think it is very likely that Bo did foster an inappropriate culture with the team.

When players on the team and the new coaches (ala Mike Riley) are saying it was overblown, I'm going to go with what they say.

Correct, I wouldn't expect them to lie either.

• Fire 1

Haha well played. I'm not saying they are lying but I don't think they are going to be public about something that would be so negative for the fb program, if it were true. That would likely only make the situation worse.

Haha well played. I'm not saying they are lying but I don't think they are going to be public about something that would be so negative for the fb program, if it were true. That would likely only make the situation worse.

Well, it's either true, or false.

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Well, it's either true, or false.

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

DANGIT! YOU'RE WITH US OR YOU'RE AGAINST US!!!

right?

Look at Riley's actions; that tells you all you need to know about how he thinks a program should be run. There's no way he was going to come here and criticize the way things were done before, but how things are done now speaks volumes.

Similarly, a player who comes out dogging the previous coaches doesn't really 'get it', either. The ones that do, don't. We don't need to look too hard to see a few examples of friction simmering over last year, but we also don't need to dwell on it. Those cases appear to have been handled gently, and by year's end, re-channeled positively.

There's a weird desire in some corners to hang on to a "things aren't so different" narrative. When a parent comes out and rips Bo's style of handling his assistants, it's ignored. When a player comes out and says the right things, it's trumpeted as evidence that Bo's culture wasn't all that, or whatever. It's weird that, lost in MRI's completely forward-looking original message for 2016, is a big article and discussion about whether Bo - fired in 2014 - really was such a problematic influence here. You want toxic? Doesn't get much more clear-cut than that.

On to 2016, guys.

• Fire 3

When players on the team and the new coaches (ala Mike Riley) are saying it was overblown, I'm going to listen.

It's a topic that really doesn't need to be drug up again.

Either it was there and HCMR and staff has worked hard to get rid of it and the players are moving on....

Or...it was never there.

Either way, the players are moving on or trying to and we as fans should probably do that too so it doesn't remain an issue in the program.

The truth lies somewhere in the middle. It's certainly not as obvious as the messageboard trope of "us against the world mentality", where the coaches and players are huddled in a bunker saying, "F*** the fans they suck", but at the same time there was certainly SOME kind of divide/rift, even though the players don't seem to think so. It was likely mostly subconscious and well intentioned on the part of everyone inside of North Stadium.

• Fire 2

I think this often gets taken as putting it all on the current players, which isn't fair.

However, it's impossible to go from a guy like Bo in the leadership chair, to a guy like Mike Riley, and not have an adjustment period (for players and assistants alike). How you respond. How you follow, or deal, with the HC. What you focus on. Whether you're still focused on defending against critics of the 2014 atmosphere, as one example.

It wasn't all bad and surely it isn't all good now. The point is that Riley's (very clearly, though of course he's not going to put the last guy down) putting a different stamp on the team, which takes time to take root.

Exactly and what you are talking about is, well....culture.

You guys can quibble all you want about Bo creating or not creating a toxic atmosphere surrounding the team. Personally I don't give much credence to guys now saying it wasn't that bad. You know how bad it was? Bad enough that a perennial 9 win coach got fired for it. Guessing that's a pretty good indicator that things weren't all sunshine and roses.

Look at Riley's actions; that tells you all you need to know about how he thinks a program should be run. There's no way he was going to come here and criticize the way things were done before, but how things are done now speaks volumes.

Similarly, a player who comes out dogging the previous coaches doesn't really 'get it', either. The ones that do, don't. We don't need to look too hard to see a few examples of friction simmering over last year, but we also don't need to dwell on it. Those cases appear to have been handled gently, and by year's end, re-channeled positively.

There's a weird desire in some corners to hang on to a "things aren't so different" narrative. When a parent comes out and rips Bo's style of handling his assistants, it's ignored. When a player comes out and says the right things, it's trumpeted as evidence that Bo's culture wasn't all that, or whatever. It's weird that, lost in MRI's completely forward-looking original message for 2016, is a big article and discussion about whether Bo - fired in 2014 - really was such a problematic influence here. You want toxic? Doesn't get much more clear-cut than that.

On to 2016, guys.

Who is the former volleyball coach that wrote something talking about the culture under Bo? He didn't go into any specifics but he did say that there were a lot of issues in the football program that were a direct result of Bo's influence. (paraphrasing here) He's now a coaching consultant and I would think he knows what he is talking about.

I'm not saying the previous culture was the sole cause of our losing season but I do think the shift in cultures contributed to the teams performance.

Help jog my memory, but wasn't there a player on the team flipping off and lashing out at fans? Clearly, there is zero disconnect between fans and players.

And clearly if one person does it that has to mean the other 120+ feel the same way.

That's obviously not at all the point I'm making. Does MRI talk for all 120 players?

Then to which other players were you referring?

For every one Alex Lewis, how many Ameer Abdullahs, Jack Gangwishes, Imani Crosses, Sam Foltzes and MRIs did we have?

• Fire 2

Jesus. Our former coachsaid things in what was perceived as private moments. True character and feelings show in times of diress and times when you think noone is watching. Regardless what players thought, its what he thought and believed hence he's no longer here. So its ok to understand why Husker fans cringe whenthey see those words. Its ok to believe youre doing everyone a favor by just not saying it. Thatsgoes for that fan inthat convo. Just leave it alone.