Spring Position Battles - Offensive Line

Mavric

LJS Spring Practice Questions

3. Does someone take a firm grip of that right guard spot in the weeks ahead? O-line coach Mike Cavanaugh has what seems like a good problem right now. Senior Corey Whitaker is healthy and playing the best football of his career. Sophomore Tanner Farmer showed his urgency to get better this winter by dropping 40 pounds to arrive at spring ball weighing 295, feeling good and moving quicker and with purpose. Senior Paul Thurston provides yet another option. Three possibilities sure beat none, but even better if someone plays at such a level to put his stamp on the job.

From the article I read yesterday I got the impression as of right now we're looking at

LT: Gates

LG: Foster

C: Utter -OR- Thurston

RG: Farmer -OR- Whitaker

RT: Knevel

I'll see if I can find the article a little later but Cav made it seem like Center and Right Guard were the only good battles going on.

I got the sense he felt real good about the left side, but needs Knevel to elevate his game.

If I remember right Utter played Center at the Holiday Bowl against USC. Does anybody remember how he was snapping the ball? I imagine being able to do that well could give a guy a leg up even if he's not the greatest blocker. Utter seemed to get pushed around a bit last year and rumor has it McMullen routinely tramples him in practice.

http://www.huskers.com/ViewArticle.dbml?DB_LANG=C&DB_OEM_ID=100&ATCLID=210830972&SPID=22&SPSID=1

And this will not change this year. Guy is too small.

6'1" 295

What size do you want your center?

You really think he is 6'1 295? Looks closer to 5'11 280 to me.

I hope Utter has really progressed if he's gonna be a starter this year.

He'd need another 2-3 inches and 30 more pounds. He has a good attitude sure but he shouldn't be more than a backup. However, I'd rather see him at center where his size isn't as big as a concern considering we couldn't even snap a football correctly last year.