Husker Squat Competition

I see they are squatting a set amount for reps. What is the difference between the squat category and the 1RM?

I believe the figure out what your 1 Rep Max is. Then base your work out of that for that particular lift. Then every so often they test and see if your 1 Rep Max has changed and change your work out accordingly.

If you lift a weight between 1 and 10 reps you can use the charts here http://www.huskers.com/pdf8/836632.pdf?DB_OEM_ID=100 to figure out what your 1 RM is. Most of these guys are off the chart though ;) . Darlington's number confirms that is the column marked 1RM. I'm not sure what the "Squat" column is but I would also like to know. The squat number is generally lower than the 1RM number except for Darlington. After watching the videos, my guess would be it's a 1RM number adjusted for depth of squat but I don't know how they would judge that. Impressive numbers for Darlington.

I see they are squatting a set amount for reps. What is the difference between the squat category and the 1RM?

I believe the figure out what your 1 Rep Max is. Then base your work out of that for that particular lift. Then every so often they test and see if your 1 Rep Max has changed and change your work out accordingly.

If you lift a weight between 1 and 10 reps you can use the charts here http://www.huskers.com/pdf8/836632.pdf?DB_OEM_ID=100 to figure out what your 1 RM is. Most of these guys are off the chart though ;) . Darlington's number confirms that is the column marked 1RM. I'm not sure what the "Squat" column is but I would also like to know. The squat number is generally lower than the 1RM number except for Darlington. After watching the videos, my guess would be it's a 1RM number adjusted for depth of squat but I don't know how they would judge that. Impressive numbers for Darlington.

Yeah, I don't think they want guys to lift their 1 rep max due to risk of injury. So I believe they lift a lighter weight (left column) as many reps as they can. And then 1RM is based on the chart. (I'm just guessing about this. Maybe someone here with actual knowledge can verify?)

Yeah, I don't think they want guys to lift their 1 rep max due to risk of injury. So I believe they lift a lighter weight (left column) as many reps as they can. And then 1RM is based on the chart. (I'm just guessing about this. Maybe someone here with actual knowledge can verify?)

The 'Squat' column is how many points they earned based on height/weight/amount lifted/etc.towards their total power index score

This right here is the difference between the last S&C staff and the present one.

Maybe. But we don't know for sure what the last staff did. They might well have held competitions like this, perhaps even the very same one. But that last HC guy tended to be secretive and paranoid. So the results never saw the light of day.

I have to say that I like the new, more open approach under Riley. It has to be great for recruiting. And it gives us something to hash over during the offseason when we are starved for Husker news. :lol:

This right here is the difference between the last S&C staff and the present one.

Maybe. But we don't know for sure what the last staff did. They might well have held competitions like this, perhaps even the very same one. But that last HC guy tended to be secretive and paranoid. So the results never saw the light of day.

I have to say that I like the new, more open approach under Riley. It has to be great for recruiting. And it gives us something to hash over during the offseason when we are starved for Husker news. :lol:

The last staff didn't do things like this. I do know that.

How do you know how much this is different than the last staff?

'cause he "knows it"

But seriously, if Pelini/Dobbs did do this, they must have told the players not to tweet it or video tape it. Because 8+ of these players had it up on periscope within 5-10 minutes of it happening.

Edit: oh, I guess that's a live thing. Heh. I'd never heard of it 'til yesterday.

It may, or may not translate to wins in 2016 ( although I have a hunch it will) but things sure feel good within the Nebraska football program right now....

Things always feel good in March as long as we won the previous bowl game or have a new coach :P

Haha! Oh, I know optimism is plentiful this time of year. It just seems like the current coaching staff, and administration is all in on the challenge of returning Nebraska to championship form. They might still fail, but it doesn't appear it will be for a lack of trying.

I think it is really early to be making broad sweeping judgments about the strength/conditioning approach of the current staff vs Pelini's vs. prior regimes. Boyd Epley is certainly one of the best ever at his trade and literally wrote the book on much of the last 40 years of training advances, etc. While no doubt there are many different approaches and some may not agree with him on all things training wise, I think we should reasonably expect some considerable improvement in the areas where strenth and conditioning training both off season and in season are concerned. There is little real debate in my view about whether Nebraska remains one of the best in the nation in this area. We once were the very best, top program, without debate. Then, many of the top 20 made big strides to compete with us. In the past 15 years, many programs arguably caught up and some may have passed us in many respects. Now, it seems, we have rededicated the program to being the best with every advance and approach, including the science of training, fitness, etc. The commitment to safety and so on is unquestionably strong evidence Nebraska is set on returning to "Number One" in the Nation.

I believe Boyd will take us there. We can seriously anticipate dramatic gains in strength and power to show up on the field this fall. Look for marked improvement across the lines, in the backfield and LBs. Speed and quickness are more difficult to enhance in a short period of time but I do expect we could see as much as 2 tenths improvement in 40 times on a team average basis over a couple years. As players are encouraged to work harder to improve strength, reduce fat indexes, etc, we will be a better trained and 'fit' football team. Fatigue should be reduced and dominance in the 4th quarter will be better.