Hillary and the classified emails

When it became murky whether or not Clinton knowingly sent classified information via private email, the narrative pivoted to outrage over simply using a private email server.

So while what Pence did may not be any more prosecutable than what Clinton did, that's not the issue. The issue is how very differently this will be treated by conservative media and those who couldn't possibly support Clinton because of the email scandal - but who will have no problem supporting Pence.

A key component of this is whether Pence or Clinton receive classified emails. Clinton was the Sec of State, so VERY likely. Pence was governor of Indiana. Do governor's expect to receive classified emails? I honestly don't know.

Yes, and we are (supposed to be) able to discern between treason and skirting policy.

That we were not is why we now have a deranged, incompetent, and corruptible rabble-rouser running the executive branch.

Allowing people to skirt policy (or continually rewrite the law in favor of themselves) unabated for years is part of what allowed Trump to get elected in the first place. That's part of the pushback against the status quo.

We need to hold Trump's feet to the fire now, too.

I don't care how unconventional he wants to be or how much he thinks he's going to shake up Washington. If he starts skirting policy (he has been) or rewriting laws to benefit him, he needs to be held accountable as well.

This could get ugly. I don't want them to open up all of the can of worms from the previous admin. It's a big distraction. Just do the correct thing now and govern.

I'd just soon Session shut down the discussion instead of leaving the door cracked open.

Article says Sessions MAY be open to look at previous actions or 'in-actions' of the former justice dept in regards to IRS, Hillary emls, etc.

At this point to quote a famous person: 'What Difference Does it Make?" Just move on and take care what is on the plate now and make sure the IRS and the justice department

acts ethically under your watch.

http://hosted.ap.org/dynamic/stories/U/US_ATTORNEY_GENERAL_SPECIAL_COUNSEL?SITE=AP&SECTION=HOME&TEMPLATE=DEFAULT&CTIME=2017-03-09-15-17-18

That's a pretty dangerous precedent, because if past administrations can be prosecuted and not pardoned, that means anything any of Trump's people do can come back to haunt them.

Anything.

You're basically rolling the dice that your party - and specifically, your sect of the party, in the Republicans' current iteration - will always be in power.

Go back through history. The Tsars. Napoleon. Any American party. The Nazis. Mussolini. See how long they've been in power.

And now you're gambling that you're going to die before your particular version goes out of power, so you don't face prosecution?

And there's no retribution?

Bro. C'mon.

• Fire 4

That's a pretty dangerous precedent, because if past administrations can be prosecuted and not pardoned, that means anything any of Trump's people do can come back to haunt them.

Anything.

You're basically rolling the dice that your party - and specifically, your sect of the party, in the Republicans' current iteration - will always be in power.

Go back through history. The Tsars. Napoleon. Any American party. The Nazis. Mussolini. See how long they've been in power.

And now you're gambling that you're going to die before your particular version goes out of power, so you don't face prosecution?

Bro. C'mon.

I agree 100% as noted in my post, I do not want Session to look backwards and open up any of the cans of worms from the previous admin. It will come back to bite them in the butt and will set the tone for administrations to follow. The partisanship will become more and more entrenched until we end up wt a strongman who rules wt an iron fist or a war. Someone has to offer the 1st olive branch but I know Trump isn't of the temperament to do so.

Anything.

Bro. C'mon.

I agree 100% as noted in my post, I do not want Session to look backwards and open up any of the cans of worms from the previous admin. It will come back to bite them in the butt and will set the tone for administrations to follow. The partisanship will become more and more entrenched until we end up wt a strongman who rules wt an iron fist or a war. Someone has to offer the 1st olive branch but I know Trump isn't of the temperament to do so.

This falls right in line with the vindictive personality of our leader.

Yes, and we are (supposed to be) able to discern between treason and skirting policy.

That we were not is why we now have a deranged, incompetent, and corruptible rabble-rouser running the executive branch.

Allowing people to skirt policy (or continually rewrite the law in favor of themselves) unabated for years is part of what allowed Trump to get elected in the first place. That's part of the pushback against the status quo.

@saunders45, I think there is some genuine truth to what you're saying here.

The biggest problem though, the man who was elected as President is akin to making the wolf the watcher of the henhouse.

You know when our legislative branch functions best? When no single party has control. When it's 50% Rs and 50% Ds. Because then, there needs to be discussion, dialogue, and compromise.

Honestly, now that the far-right zealots have full control over two of the three branches of government, I don't like where this is heading at all.

And if Trump gets to appoint two or three SCOTUS seats... :facepalm::facepalm::facepalm::facepalm:

• 4 months later...

This is old news but I came across this on Newsmax. Maybe Trump Sessions into doing something:

http://www.newsmax.com/Newsfront/ed-klein-hillary-plea-bargain/2017/08/08/id/806488/

The Justice Department has reopened the investigation of Hillary Clinton's mishandling of classified material on her private email system while she was secretary of state, and is considering offering her a plea bargain if she will agree to plead guilty to charges of breaking the law, according to a Clinton attorney.

The discussion of a plea bargain took place late last month and was offered by a high-ranking Justice Department official to the Clinton lawyer.

During the exploratory talks with the prosecutor, the Clinton attorney was told that despite former FBI Director James Comey's decision last July not to prosecute Hillary, the Justice Department has reexamined the email case and believes there are ample grounds for prosecuting Hillary on a number of counts.

Under the Justice Department's plea offer, Hillary would be required to sign a document admitting that she committed a prosecutable crime. In return, the DOJ would agree not to bring charges against Hillary in connection with the email probe.

Also as part of the agreement, the Justice Department would not proceed with an investigation of Hillary's pay to play deals with foreign governments and businessmen who contributed to the Clinton Foundation or who paid Bill Clinton exorbitant speaking fees.

The Clinton attorney cautioned that normally a plea is offered by a prosecutor only upon arraignment, and Hillary has not yet been charged with any crime.

Quick search shows the sole source of this is Ed Klein, and two Newsmax articles - one of which says there's been a deal offered, and another which says *IF* the investigation is reopened there may be a deal offered.

Mostly this seems like exactly the kind of shiny thing that would distract a certain demographic from other news. There's nothing to see here, but it's gotten the Trumpettes all fired up about Clinton. Again.

• Fire 7

But what if it turns out the Clintons really were mafia lords who ordered hits on everyone who got too close to them for thirty years?

Then we should get rid of our healthcare gains and dismantle the EPA, right? Maybe build a Wall? It's only logical.

If they investigate Hilary for pay to play (which is another thing that isn't a crime right?), then they better check good old Donald. Pretty sure he's just as slimy as the Clintons.

Right now - I suspect that any thing the DOJ does is or can be thought of as a diversion. I read another report that Trump and Session are pals again. I take that as Trump needs Sessions to divert attention away from Russia.