OU to B1G? Media Friend Says There Are Talks

What makes you guys think the Mountain West has any chance at being one of the power conferences? The only way I see that being a possibility is if the Big 12 dissolves and I think there is less of a chance of that happening than the MwC becoming a power conference. Is there other reasoning I'm missing? I also don't see TCU going back to the same conference they were all to eager to leave a few years ago unless there is some sort of major benefit.

I don't see the MWC becoming a legit power. I see the Power 5 becoming the Power 4 with the Big 12 dissolving and some independents/AAC/MWC getting scooped up to make 4 18 team conferences.

It's ugly but that will be the direction, in my opinion

Those are my thoughts as well. I don't see anyone but the existing power conferences (possibly minus the Big 12) being around down the road.

BYU and the Big 12 both need eachother yet both are too stubborn to admit it.

BYU does not need the B12. Keep in mind that BYU has a religious leadership and has goals that aren't like other schools. The football program is about visibility and marketing for the university and the LDS church (not just those but that's a big part of it). Independence is a good fit for BYU, so a conference is going to have to convince them to join.

.... Yes, I agree, they are not like other schools.....not in a good way.

BYU and the Big 12 both need eachother yet both are too stubborn to admit it.

BYU does not need the B12. Keep in mind that BYU has a religious leadership and has goals that aren't like other schools. The football program is about visibility and marketing for the university and the LDS church (not just those but that's a big part of it). Independence is a good fit for BYU, so a conference is going to have to convince them to join.

.... Yes, I agree, they are not like other schools.....not in a good way.

Notre Dame and BYU will be told to join 100% or not at all at some point in the near future when the next round of alignment comes. They won't have a choice.

Oklahoma and a Texas school is ideal for B1G expansion. More money there compared to OU and Kansas

Except that Delaney is keen on making the B1G *THE* collegiate basketball conference of note, and adding Kansas would pretty much put an exclamation point on that. And unless you're talking Texass 'proper', then no...there's no Texas school that would overcome what Kansas can bring re: basketball.

And we know (as this has been covered in other threads on this board) that Kansas is willing to hop in bed with whomever provides a good deal and doesn't have to get state blessing (or K-State's blessing, for that matter). We know this from when Kansas almost went to the Big East back in 2010 when it looked like the Big XII was toast. Plus, the B1G has already done its homework on Kansas (per the OWH article), and likely isn't going to start from scratch if it doesn't have to.

As for Okie Lite, their legislature is going to be presented with a scenario of either Oklahoma being tethered to Okie Lite and being drug down in a flailing Big XII, or they can cut the cord and let Okie Lite sink or swim on its own, and allow Oklahoma follow its goal of improving its academic cache substantially--something the school President has stated as a goal for the University and one that a move to the B1G would help facilitate.

As for the GOR that is likely preventing this from happening already, a media friend of mine pointed out if there's no Big XII, then there's no GOR. If Oklahoma, Texas (Pac-12), and Kansas all have homes, and they help find homes in the AAC or Mountain West for enough schools to get a majority (e.g. Iowa State, K-State, Tech), then there will be enough votes there to dissolve the conference, and the GOR is gone.

Kinda underhanded, I know...but then again, the Big XII was nothing but the SWC II--Electric Boogaloo from its inception and how the conference handled itself.

---

Someone just forwarded me a tweet where FrankTheTank also said that OU to the B1G is very likely, but suggests that FSU to the B1G would be a welcome grab. Don't know how realistic that is with the ACC's moves of late...but if they legally break the GOR (instead of dissolving the conference), then it's a moot point.

UConn would be just as big of a get as KU with regards to basketball. Plus there are 1 million more people living in Connecticut as Kansas. And arguably a better football program. And UConn isn't part of a mega conference.

So I just don't get the love fest for Kansas.

I would disagree about UConn being on the same page as Kansas relating to basketball respectability, unless you are talking women, then you might have a point but for the men's side, not close IMO. Yes, UConn has a more populated base in which it operates from but Country wise, I would argue that basketball fans would recognize KU as one of the top 3 recognized and reveled institutions!

And let's be honest here--Kansas actually has won a BCS bowl compared with UConn...

Or Nebraska, for that matter...but let's not go down that rabbit hole... :-|

Oklahoma and a Texas school is ideal for B1G expansion. More money there compared to OU and Kansas

Except that Delaney is keen on making the B1G *THE* collegiate basketball conference of note, and adding Kansas would pretty much put an exclamation point on that. And unless you're talking Texass 'proper', then no...there's no Texas school that would overcome what Kansas can bring re: basketball.

And we know (as this has been covered in other threads on this board) that Kansas is willing to hop in bed with whomever provides a good deal and doesn't have to get state blessing (or K-State's blessing, for that matter). We know this from when Kansas almost went to the Big East back in 2010 when it looked like the Big XII was toast. Plus, the B1G has already done its homework on Kansas (per the OWH article), and likely isn't going to start from scratch if it doesn't have to.

As for Okie Lite, their legislature is going to be presented with a scenario of either Oklahoma being tethered to Okie Lite and being drug down in a flailing Big XII, or they can cut the cord and let Okie Lite sink or swim on its own, and allow Oklahoma follow its goal of improving its academic cache substantially--something the school President has stated as a goal for the University and one that a move to the B1G would help facilitate.

As for the GOR that is likely preventing this from happening already, a media friend of mine pointed out if there's no Big XII, then there's no GOR. If Oklahoma, Texas (Pac-12), and Kansas all have homes, and they help find homes in the AAC or Mountain West for enough schools to get a majority (e.g. Iowa State, K-State, Tech), then there will be enough votes there to dissolve the conference, and the GOR is gone.

Kinda underhanded, I know...but then again, the Big XII was nothing but the SWC II--Electric Boogaloo from its inception and how the conference handled itself.

---

Someone just forwarded me a tweet where FrankTheTank also said that OU to the B1G is very likely, but suggests that FSU to the B1G would be a welcome grab. Don't know how realistic that is with the ACC's moves of late...but if they legally break the GOR (instead of dissolving the conference), then it's a moot point.

UConn would be just as big of a get as KU with regards to basketball. Plus there are 1 million more people living in Connecticut as Kansas. And arguably a better football program. And UConn isn't part of a mega conference.

I would disagree about UConn being on the same page as Kansas relating to basketball respectability, unless you are talking women, then you might have a point but for the men's side, not close IMO. Yes, UConn has a more populated base in which it operates from but Country wise, I would argue that basketball fans would recognize KU as one of the top 3 recognized and reveled institutions!

And let's be honest here--Kansas actually has won a BCS bowl compared with UConn...

Well if winning a BCS bowl game is the criteria, then I guess Boise St should be the newest member of the B1G.

---

Well if winning a BCS bowl game is the criteria, then I guess Boise St should be the newest member of the B1G.

No one said it's THE criteria, but it is a point in favor of Kansas' football team over UConn's. Add that to Kansas' Basketball program, which is decidedly ahead of UConn's, and the fact that Kansas is a known quantity to the B1G, and it makes sense that they would pair them up with Oklahoma as a moving buddy.

I bet Missouri would get an invite before Kansas.

If basketball is a driving force, UConn would be a way better pick then Kansas. I don't think basketball is all the big of a deal, if it was, Delany would have taken UConn over Rutgers during the last expansion.

UCONN is a suitable replacement for Kansas in terms of Basketball only. They do little to add anything on football for the East. Kansas doesn't add any value for football in the West, but it gives the heavies an extra, necessary, conference win.

BYU, who regardless of their religious stances, will have 0 choice in their independence when the next major shifts occur. Good for them if they like their independence, ND too. But they will get left out in the cold and have no chance at post season play or major conference money once the shifts happen, why ND is an "ACC Member". BYU would be wise to make the move before it's too late.

BYU, who regardless of their religious stances, will have 0 choice in their independence when the next major shifts occur. Good for them if they like their independence, ND too. But they will get left out in the cold and have no chance at post season play or major conference money once the shifts happen, why ND is an "ACC Member". BYU would be wise to make the move before it's too late.

I don't understand the logic that forces teams to do something they don't want or they'll get left out. Neither the NCAA nor the power conferences are going to do this. The resulting lawsuits and congressional inquiries would threaten the entire fabric of what the power schools have created - they aren't going to risk that. And if you look back at expansion, none of the schools or conferences have put real pressure on ND to join. In fact the conferences were falling over themselves to make ND a better offer than the last guy. And notice that ND gets automatic bid just like the P5 in the current system, just like they did in the old system.

And what do the power conferences have to gain by condensing to 4 18-team conferences and screwing everyone else? TV rights aren't going to continue on the meteoric path they've been on; while rights will probably go up some, cord cutting could mean they'll actually level out or reverse. Super conferences have to split the money 18 ways instead of the 10, 12, or 14 ways they do currently. While they might eke out a bit more money, I just don't see the reward that's going to drive them to take big risks.

The ACC was gaining a national brand in Notre Dame, why wouldn't they be thrilled?

Here's the thing though, the status quo will change. If the main 5 become the Big 4 with around 16 teams each, how good does BYU or even ND's chance look to get playoff berths? Expansion is survival of the strongest.

I, for the record, think 14 is plenty. But we are going to see at least 16 team Big Ten, ACC, SEC by the end of the decade I am guessing. The Pac 12 is kinda disadvantaged on who they can add.

The ACC was gaining a national brand in Notre Dame, why wouldn't they be thrilled?

Here's the thing though, the status quo will change. If the main 5 become the Big 4 with around 16 teams each, how good does BYU or even ND's chance look to get playoff berths? Expansion is survival of the strongest.

I, for the record, think 14 is plenty. But we are going to see at least 16 team Big Ten, ACC, SEC by the end of the decade I am guessing. The Pac 12 is kinda disadvantaged on who they can add.

I agree about the ACC. My point was that ND feels little to no pressure to join for football.

Whether the conferences keep expanding is going to be driven by TV money. If the B1G doesn't get the windfall people are expecting, then brakes will be put on expansion. Or if the networks tell the conferences they won't pay more for additional teams, that'll likely kill it.

I agree that the status quo won't last forever, it never does. My guess is we'll see a move back towards smaller, regional conferences as the internet slow erodes the network TV business model. Probably in 10-20 years.