What does this picture show from the Nebraska Boy's State High School BB Championships?

Do they actually view Native Americans that way, or were they just trying to be funny? Blue comedy exists, like it or not. Many blue comedians make racial jokes, although the use of slurs is falling out of favor. But even if they use one, that isn't necessarily evidence of their true character. Get a grip. There probably aren't any Louis CK fans here. Some of you would probably sh#t your pants if you knew what Bob Saget was really like.

Do they actually view Native Americans that way, or were they just trying to be funny? Blue comedy exists, like it or not. Many blue comedians make racial jokes, although the use of slurs is falling out of favor. But even if they use one, that isn't necessarily evidence of their true character. Get a grip. There probably aren't any Louis CK fans here. Some of you would probably sh#t your pants if you knew what Bob Saget was really like.

It's impossible to say by that screen shot, which is why I asked if anyone knew that woman. While I don't ascribe to the "everyone does it" notion, it's entirely possible this was a one-off, off-color joke between these two.

Which leads to the second question I asked here, which is, is it OK to have taken this picture of her screen in the first place (noting that "OK" doesn't necessarily mean legal, although I understand the conversation will gravitate toward that).

I don't think it's clear whether they hold these views. What I think is more clear is the truly awful nature of the term.

Believe me, I thought about the d-bag thing before I posted it here. I thought about pixelating her face, I thought about cropping the picture to show just the screen. But I made an editorial decision to post it as found on twitter to tell the whole story.

Oh, yes. I'm sorry, I didn't mean you -- I was thinking of the photographer. Once it's out there, I think it's a valid editorial decision either way, although I hadn't even thought of that!

I mean, we're not talking about people being raucous or inappropriate in private conversation. We're talking about people looking at Native Americans as 'prairie n***ers'.*

Everyone does that? We shouldn't have a problem with that view?

(* - the 'to-be-fair' caveat being we don't know if that accurately describes this woman)

The fact that somebody's first reaction is basically "everyone is like this" is perplexing and a little disheartening. My first thought was "God bless him, his parents were idiots".

I mean, we're not talking about people being raucous or inappropriate in private conversation. We're talking about people looking at Native Americans as 'prairie n***ers'.*

Everyone does that? We shouldn't have a problem with that view?

(* - the 'to-be-fair' caveat being we don't know if that accurately describes this woman)

The fact that somebody's first reaction is basically "everyone is like this" is perplexing and a little disheartening. My first thought was "God bless him, his parents were idiots".

Is the bolded, written in this thread considered irony? I'm asking because my parents were "idiots" too.

Coach, I think the problem with your original statement is that you said everyone has done this. Then, several posts later, you said something like "whether racist or not." But when you originally said everyone has done this the only assumption to take was that you meant use racist slurs in a conversation.

I have never done this even in a private conversation. My grandparents used racist words and whenever they started doing it I shut off and ignored them.

• Fire 1

This thread has become good.

Also, i find it funny how some of you dont think you have biases. You know who you are, you holier than thou members.

No, maybe you should point them out. People saying they haven't used racist epitaphs aren't claiming they have no biases.

• Fire 1

Also, i find it funny how some of you dont think you have biases. You know who you are, you holier than thou members.

No, maybe you should point them out. People saying they haven't used racist epitaphs aren't claiming they have no biases.
You must be one of them. I am referring to the posts talking of biases and people using possible slurs in private talk between friends/family and some people act as though they never have. Ever referred to anyone as redneck, wetback, fence climber, hick, cracker, told a racial joke, laughed at a racial joke, etc. We all have our biases and have let things slide or just went along with it so as not to be singled out in our circle of family and friends. If any one says they havent then i too will call BS.
  • Fire 2

You must be one of them. I am referring to the posts talking of biases and people using possible slurs in private talk between friends/family and some people act as though they never have. Ever referred to anyone as redneck, wetback, fence climber, hick, cracker, told a racial joke, laughed at a racial joke, etc. We all have our biases and have let things slide or just went along with it so as not to be singled out in our circle of family and friends. If any one says they havent then i too will call BS.
Again this is being widened, as it was with Coach. Now it's not using racial slurs. It's letting them slide, going along with them, having biases. I've never used a racial slur. But I didn't call my grandparents out for using the N word. I just stopped talking.

There are people out there who exist who've never used racial slurs. This isn't that radical of a claim.

Again this is being widened, as it was with Coach. Now it's not using racial slurs. It's letting them slide, going along with them, having biases. I've never used a racial slur. But I didn't call my grandparents out for using the N word. I just stopped talking.

There are people out there who exist who've never used racial slurs. This isn't that radical of a claim.

Hey, you're the one who took my post as meaning racial slurs. I clearly said bias. Just saying, dont twist the post to use as a basis for something i didnt say.

There's a second thing to talk about in this situation that we haven't touched on yet.

We can set aside the discussion of racism for an entirely different conversation, and that is - does this woman deserve to have what she believed to be a private text photographed, grouped with her profile, and broadcast on the internet?

There's a sliding scale of expected privacy in the world. You expect MORE privacy in your bedroom and LESS privacy in public.

I think the discussion of privacy deserves its moment.

Certainly this woman is not behind closed doors. She's in public, in what was by all reports a pretty packed gym. Elbow to elbow in the stands, meaning that her expectations of privacy are less than if she was on a solitary park bench, on a beach by herself, or in her own home.

I had this discussion on the twitter last week when this photo came out, and by and large the responses to "What's her expectation of privacy here?" were: She should have none.

Is that the case? Do people here agree that her screen, especially in packed stands like this, is NOT private? Does she have a right to be offended that her screen was photographed and put on the internet?

I'm torn on this.

I don't believe that "Because we can presume she's bigoted, it's OK to put her text online." A bigot's screen is as private as anyone else's screen.

I don't believe that she should have 100% expectations of privacy.

I think it's possible be kinda wrong here, no matter which side of the spectrum you're on.

I have to admit that when I first saw the original post, I was uncomfortable that this woman was all of a sudden plastered all over the internet due to something she thought was being done in some sort of privacy. And, the point that she was not the one that used the the racial slur is important in my mind.

I will admit that, even though I don't use racial slurs myself, I have been guilty of being in conversations where they have been used and not confront the person about it. It is very possible that is the situation this woman was in.

• Fire 1