The Next Husker Controversy

The personal attacks on anyone with a different opinion from a cluster of folks are amazing.

I understand that there are ways of "cheating." That's why I asked for some specifity around what procedures are different in those two lifts from 3 years ago versus today. I would think that everyone tries to use the same methodology as the NFL combine (for bench). And based on the squat videos I saw during the past year, the team is using all sorts of equipment that "makes the lifing easier" (and also safer). We don't know whether they use that same gear during testing, but maybe we should invalidate forward looking lifts?

Anyway, explain how a person games a vertical or broad jump.

I agree with this up to the point where Kenny's impatient Tweet appears to have reversed the proposed change within hours, apparently to everyone's satisfaction.

Then we will have to agree to disagree.

I mean, it's not as if Kenny doesn't have access to the coaches. He spent last summer training with Coach Williams in Lincoln. And Coach Riley has easily been the most accessible coach to former players in a LONG time. So Kenny's ability to pick up the phone, and ask questions to people to find an answer to what was going on could have happened. That would have been the grown up thing to do, to ask questions, be patient, and see what could be done.

But with no back story to what had happened with the testing results, no idea who made the decision, no idea why they made the decision, or even no idea what was going to happen going forward, he just goes straight to Twitter to complain.

Kenny asks for respect of former players, at least so he says. But it's completely ironic he shows no respect to fans, the administration, the University, or the current coaches with his Twitter postings over the last few years.

He said he called and got no response from the AD. Now, he should have probably waited a bit longer to see what the issue was, but he did try to reach out.

He also has the coaches as well as current players to talk to, to find out what's happening.

I can understand an alum freaking out about a change -- which is what this was -- even if it's a little silly.

I think the disconnect here could be that KB had no idea that his "OMG, THIS IS BS!" reaction amounted to a public throwdown. Til the articles came out it wasn't clear if this was some new TV screen wallpaper or a Trotsky-level expunging of Bo's era. Kenny's caught some pretty reasonable flak for jumping much closer to the latter assumption. He might not have meant to, in fairness to him. But it's like he completely forgot in an instant all the love that has been constantly showered on recent former Huskers by everybody involved with the program.

Hopefully it's a lesson learned about a snap "They're out to get us" moment on Twitter.

• Fire 1

My favorite part...people telling Bell how HE should feel about something that is directly related to him.

So if you think about it...we have posters that are mad at Bell for being mad and using twitter..while the mad poster started posting stuff about about how mad they are at Bell for being mad and using twitter while they were using a post board and probably twitter at the same time to let Bell know that he is a baby and needs to settle down while they are worked up and posting and tweeting about how mad they are because he is mad and that he needs to not be mad because it is not a big deal but that they can be mad with him for being mad because him being mad is a big deal to them.

I think I covered it all

Big%20W%20470.jpg
Ha...I tried my best to make that one confusing! It hurt just typing it out!
Not confusing, just another movie reference

Which movie is that one? I can't place it.

It's a Mad, Mad, Mad, Mad World

The personal attacks on anyone with a different opinion from a cluster of folks are amazing.

I understand that there are ways of "cheating." That's why I asked for some specifity around what procedures are different in those two lifts from 3 years ago versus today. I would think that everyone tries to use the same methodology as the NFL combine (for bench). And based on the squat videos I saw during the past year, the team is using all sorts of equipment that "makes the lifing easier" (and also safer). We don't know whether they use that same gear during testing, but maybe we should invalidate forward looking lifts?

You're the one that came up with the vertical/broad jump examples, not Boyd Epley. For all we know these two specific examples happened to be consistent, but I mean vertical jump is a pretty damn easy one; some people testing let you take a gather step and some don't. Next please.

• Fire 1

My issues are mostly with Twitter, and I'll probably have to get over them.

As for Kenny: he was never a prima-donna on the field. I don't recall ANY wide-receiver - certainly not that skinny - who was such a beast at downfield blocking, much less a full-fledged special teams gunner.

He's a bit of a character, and I like that, too. But it does get the better of him sometimes.

It seems to come with wide receivers more than any other position.

Pretty much agree here and I can understand why as former players they may feel hurt, I can't judge that opinion, but I just don't agree with the way he went about it on social media before actually hearing from the university.

You're the one that came up with the vertical/broad jump examples, not Boyd Epley. For all we know these two specific examples happened to be consistent, but I mean vertical jump is a pretty damn easy one; some people testing let you take a gather step and some don't. Next please.

Almost no one allows a step other than maybe some HS coaches. Comon. I think you know that Dobson and Kennedy and Callahan's S&C coach were professionals and were likely using the same procedures and types of equipment used by the NFL on pro day (or Nike during their high school combines).

This was a heavy handed, clumsy move by the AD. Thankfully, they reversed course on it.

I'm just curious about the actual motives and whether they reset all of the records going back to the dawn of time and across all sports or if this was focused on the time that Epley was gone and/or the football program.

Almost no one allows a step other than maybe some HS coaches. Comon. I think you know that Dobson and Kennedy and Callahan's S&C coach were professionals and were likely using the same procedures and types of equipment used by the NFL on pro day (or Nike during their high school combines).

This was a heavy handed, clumsy move by the AD. Thankfully, they reversed course on it.

I'm just curious about the actual motives and whether they reset all of the records going back to the dawn of time and across all sports or if this was focused on the time that Epley was gone and/or the football program.

Boyd got promoted to AD?

I agree with this up to the point where Kenny's impatient Tweet appears to have reversed the proposed change within hours, apparently to everyone's satisfaction.

Then we will have to agree to disagree.

I mean, it's not as if Kenny doesn't have access to the coaches. He spent last summer training with Coach Williams in Lincoln. And Coach Riley has easily been the most accessible coach to former players in a LONG time. So Kenny's ability to pick up the phone, and ask questions to people to find an answer to what was going on could have happened. That would have been the grown up thing to do, to ask questions, be patient, and see what could be done.

But with no back story to what had happened with the testing results, no idea who made the decision, no idea why they made the decision, or even no idea what was going to happen going forward, he just goes straight to Twitter to complain.

Kenny asks for respect of former players, at least so he says. But it's completely ironic he shows no respect to fans, the administration, the University, or the current coaches with his Twitter postings over the last few years.

The fact that this whole thing played out within HOURS and ended in satisfactory resolution pretty much confirms that social media was the smart way to go.

That includes a well-measured calling out of Boyd Epley, who is doing a lot of things right but did a little thing wrong.

Bell wasn't alone among his teammates. Just the chattiest and most confrontational. Making him the right guy to do this.

And now it's over.

Unless we keep it going.

• Fire 1

He actually specifically said he didn't have an "OMG, THIS IS BS!" reaction. He said he was just saddened by the approach that appears to minimize/marginalize a group of players from the "wrong era" of Husker history. I'm including guys who played for Callahan, too.

Right, it wasn't an angry tirade.

It was him shining a light on this awful, sad thing the Administration had done to the school's former players.

As he later said, he simply wanted an explanation -- and he chose to do that by throwing a great deal of shade publicly at the 3rd floor. I'm sure he didn't mean to quite come off that way, but that's the result of leaping to social media to vent.

I mean, it's not a huge deal and we have a happy ending. So there's that, good for everyone.

• Fire 2
Today i found out anybody that trained in the weight room in the past 10 years has been removed from the walls. @Huskers no love for alum???
That hurts. Was told that because "we didnt train right" our records in the weight room at our Alma Mater are removed? Ouch.
Forgettin the old regime I understand, let's move forward. But guys that gave 5 years to the program? @Ameerguapo deserves to b in that room
I am not complaining, and i am not angry. I am genuinely saddened. I love that program and the guys that are apart of it. Disappointed.
This has NOTHING to do with the football staff. That kind of decision comes from the 3rd floor, the Administration level.
Not interested in arguing and name calling guys. I wanted to let ppl know wat was going on & respectfully voice my opinion on it, thats all.
Appreciate the clarity Mr. Epley, just wanted an explanation.
Respect and appreciate the conversation today's ladies & gentlemen. We don't have to agree, but we can be civil in expressing Opinions ✊

I wouldn't call any of that throwing shade.
  • Fire 1