Star Wars: Rogue One

I try to not get too bogged down in the details of what constitutes good film making etc. and prefer to just try to enjoy being entertained.

I can appreciate that. It's why I posted two lists. In my case, I think Return of the Jedi is a "better movie" than TFA, but I'd rather sit down and watch TFA since I find it a little more entertaining overall.

It's a little weird but my brain makes sense of it. Somehow. :lol:

It's been so long since I've seen ROTJ. In my memory it's something that gets to be almost perfunctory, in the way that inevitable finales often are. What were the great parts? I've probably forgotten. Empire was the big moment of the original trilogy.

Put it this way, though, I'm expecting Episode 9 to be far worse than simply unextraordinary.

I haven't seen any of the new star wars movies.... Part of me thinks I should catch up. Another part of me thinks I'm too far behind to worry about catching up. The last part of me thinks I should just make fun of the nerds that have seen them all.

There needs to be a term for that. The people who think they're cool by not joining a fad. Anti-bandwagoners?

I tried to do that with Harry Potter. People would not quit talking about it and I didn't want to read it solely because it was popular. I lasted until 2002...

I even read Harry Potter fan fic between books like a freak.

Here's a good erotic fanfic pairing Hogwarts (yes, the whole castle) with the Giant Squid if you're interested.:

https://www.fanfiction.net/s/3096379/1/First-Encounter

snippet: "Again and again he spanked the naughty wizarding school until he sobbed for the giant squid to stop."

• Fire 1

I haven't seen any of the new star wars movies.... Part of me thinks I should catch up. Another part of me thinks I'm too far behind to worry about catching up. The last part of me thinks I should just make fun of the nerds that have seen them all.

There needs to be a term for that. The people who think they're cool by not joining a fad. Anti-bandwagoners?

I tried to do that with Harry Potter. People would not quit talking about it and I didn't want to read it solely because it was popular. I lasted until 2002...

Here's a good erotic fanfic pairing Hogwarts (yes, the whole castle) with the Giant Squid if you're interested.:

snippet: "Again and again he spanked the naughty wizarding school until he sobbed for the giant squid to stop."

zGHQb4O.gif

• Fire 1

Rogue one has some cool scenes, but overall, it's a bit of a mess. It's behind the OT for sure, and muddled somewhere in with the prequels.

I'm with you - personally, I don't understand why it's ranked so highly on people's lists. I think it has a lot of storytelling concerns (too many characters, plot holes, too much technical explanation and planet-hopping, and there are some themes that could've played into the larger universe that didn't get time to develop.) It's also just a big fat downer.

When I first heard Rogue One was coming out years ago, I thought it was a Netflix series. I still think it would've been much better in this format.

How can you critique Rogue One for plot holes and too many characters when New Hope has the exact same issues? Without Rogue One, we would've never known one of the biggest plot holes in movie history of something so small and ridiculous would be the achilles heel of the Death Star.

There are several reasons why I loved Rogue One over the original Star Wars movies, not that those were bad but its shocking that some people are just oblivious to recognize that some people would like a newer Star Wars movie over the old ones and that the old movies are just untouchable and perfect.

What I really loved about Rogue One is the darker tone it presented itself throughout the whole movie, I enjoyed that along with the cinematography of the film with that depth of field look a lot of the shots had, it made me feel more immersed in the movie as if I was there. On a whole its just beautiful to look at and admire and the CGI was outstanding when it was needed. Here's some prime examples of the what I'm talking about and that I appreciate stuff like this in movies. Does it mean that it makes the movie better, no but I love when movies are presented in this way and I appreciate it that much more.

rs4hg7.png

2napgqu.jpg

2jbqhxt.png

Who knew that highly trained Stormtroopers could hit their targets. That's one thing that has been a running joke for how many decades and we finally get to see Stormtroopers who are indeed capable of being a threat to the Rebellion. We finally got the Darth Vader we've been waiting for. I never got the impression from watching the original movies that you should fear Darth Vader. We were always told to fear Darth Vader but were never shown anything to make us believe in that. The hallway clip at the end of Rogue One destroys any and every clip of Darth Vader from the original movies, it literally gave me a nerdgasm

The last 45 minutes was a joy to watch not that the first and second acts were terrible cause they weren't but because I enjoyed the epic battle, something that I've been craving to see in a Star Wars movie. The battles in the Clone Wars and Return of the Jedi don't even hold a candle to the battle scene in Rogue One. We also got a glimpse that the Rebellion are not made out to be squeaky clean innocent who play by the rules and will make decisions that may not be considered honorable.

I liked majority of the characters but I loved Jyn, Chirrut Imwe (blind dude) and K-2S0

The more I watched this movie the more I enjoy it. I saw it in the theaters and thought that it was ok but watched again, picked up on some things I missed and enjoyed it even more. There have been several movies where I thought were just ok but upon watching it for a second time, I tend to enjoy it a lot more. I know that there are some issues with Rogue One and to slam Rogue One for having plot holes while ignoring several plot holes from the originals is kind of laughable, because honestly has there ever been a perfect film?

Heres a Rogue One spoiler review by one of my favorite Youtube movie reviewer and he brings up some valid points on why Rogue One was pretty good

• Fire 2

I think Rogue One had good cinematography. I don't think the OT should get too much credit for...well, any of its characters, really. Though Harrison Ford is a talent.

Chirrut had like one line in the entire movie and they tried to pass this off as a story arc, somehow. It was frustrating. Donnie is a great actor. I can't even remember most of the other guys.

One of the most disappointing things to me was Jyn. She had this reluctant/mistrustful thing going in the beginning and then it flipped like it was never there. Standing up and making heroic speeches exhorting everyone to fight. She finds out about her partner's ulterior motives and...again, that kind of fizzles off into nothing. So we have a final act of the movie that's bizarrely, minimally set up. People all say the battle scenes were great and I guess I can believe/agree with that, but you have to have characters worth caring about too, and none of them hit the right notes for me at least. So it's not plot holes so much as the entire movie's a poorly set up excuse for a neat final battle.

The dark tone is interesting in a Star Wars movie, but not outside of that. The only reason to care about any of the nice CGI scenes is that they're Star Wars themed...which is actually a fairly compelling reason, but that only gets it so far in the final analysis. I feel like RO ends up being pretty generic.

Here's the New Yorker review: http://www.newyorker.com/culture/richard-brody/rogue-one-reviewed-is-it-time-to-abandon-the-star-wars-franchise I guess they weren't kind to TFA, either, so screw 'em :P But I think they make some good points here, especially in evaluating this much-ballyhooed "darkness" aspect.

To be clear, it's not totally that RO has bad characters. One could easily imagine a longer series showcasing all of them in an awesome way. It just never happened here. Possible exception of the robot.

• Fire 2

The author also refers to AotC as one of the best of the Star Wars series in the same sentence as the phrase "enticingly florid dialogue", which seems like a serious case of building up something else to make a point that would be more valid on its own.

'Cos I mean..."I like sand."

• Fire 3

Here's another theory.

Ep I was as well-liked as it was only because it's a Star Wars movie with light sabers and some characters and spaceships and scenery that people are familiar with and feel nostalgic about.

Without that it would have been loathed even more and Ep II would never have been made.

People tend to dislike movies with terrible acting and scripts, even if they have cool CGI.

LotR did not have terrible acting or a terrible script.

• Fire 2

I never read any of the Harry Potter books neither.

I don't think you were directly referring to me, but it's not because I think I'm cool. Star Wars, and Harry Potter just don't interest me that much. I also haven't seen a super hero movie in years. I couldn't care less if something is a fad or not. If I like something, I'll partake. If not, I won't.

Besides, there some fads that I take part in:

- I have 4 Patagonia hats in the closet.

- I say hip terms like "same", and use "af" in texts to annoy my pre-teen daughter.

- I even have the sweet (definitely cool) comb over hair cut with the shaved line down one side (I don't know what the kids call it).

My main anti-trend stances are that I still wear cargo shorts. and I'll never (ever) wear flip-flops.

It sounds like HP came along at a similar time for you as the Hunger Games did for me. By then I already had my "things" and was completely uninterested in devouring more YA fiction. Although I would content HP has a magic that far surpasses anything comparable. My dad got quite caught up in it all (though he never finished the series, so...)

LOL at the rest of your post, haha. That's kinda funny to picture. Don't call it a combover. I don't know what the term for that is. To me, it's "every soccer player's haircut".

P.S. if you don't also use "rn" you should get on it, tbh.

I never read any of the Harry Potter books neither.

I read this and hear Eminem: "See, I'm just like you in a way."

• Fire 1