Star Wars: Rogue One

I can see how Z's comment came off as let's see if your opinion is even legitimate or not based on whether you liked TFA.For my part, if you didn't like that movie you're dead to me :DKidding. Mostly. :P

Admittedly it came off snarky, but it was all joking on my part. I did want to compare opinions on the movies though.
  • Fire 1

I can see how Z's comment came off as let's see if your opinion is even legitimate or not based on whether you liked TFA.For my part, if you didn't like that movie you're dead to me :DKidding. Mostly. :P

Admittedly it came off snarky, but it was all joking on my part. I did want to compare opinions on the movies though.

Well at least we now know Louisiana has tender feelings and will punch us in the face for it.

I just saw Rogue One, and it is amazing. It's not as dark a film as anticipated, but it's not light either.

This film actually put the War in Star Wars.

The original version was actually rejected by Disney for being too dark so this was actually a toned down version after Disney ordered an additional round of shooting/filming. I would love to see that version actually. By Star Wars standards this was still dark however. I enjoyed all of the characters also. No Jar Jar's or overplayed characters like the Ewoks in this one.

Maybe I'm the only one who didn't read ulterior motives into ZRod's question. I thought it was legitimate. :dunno

For me, I was ... underwhelmed by TFA. As a stand-alone movie it would have been OK. Biggest complaint is they tried to do too much so most of it felt rushed to me. But as part of a series, I didn't think it fit really well. But that's tough when you're trying to do a transition movie. Didn't care for the retelling of (basically) the same story.

As for Rogue One, I really like it. There were a couple oddities that didn't really make sense to me but overall pretty good. I thought they did a better job of avoiding the as-much-CGI-battle-scenes-as-possible trap and actually developed the plot pretty well. Still enough cinematic fireballs to make things interesting but not over the top, imo. Several nice nods to the other films.

Not top of the list as far as Star Wars films go but pretty good as a pseudo-stand-along filling in some back story.

And, to have a bit of fun, if anyone ever wondered how much it would cost per day to operate a Death Star, someone has done some calculations...LMAO

http://www.msn.com/en-us/money/technology/the-death-star-would-cost-dollar78-octillion-a-day-to-run/ar-AAl66OM?li=BBmkt5R

Funny. But one thing we can make up is that with new technology/discovery they've found a super powerful super cheap energy source, so the main expenses would be feeding and paying the people who have to live on the death star.

And, to have a bit of fun, if anyone ever wondered how much it would cost per day to operate a Death Star, someone has done some calculations...LMAO

http://www.msn.com/en-us/money/technology/the-death-star-would-cost-dollar78-octillion-a-day-to-run/ar-AAl66OM?li=BBmkt5R

Funny. But one thing we can make up is that with new technology/discovery they've found a super powerful super cheap energy source, so the main expenses would be feeding and paying the people who have to live on the death star.

True. According to canon, Khyber (I think I spelled it right) Crystals seem to produce that energy all on their own so perhaps there's no need to "pay" for energy?

Then, if we consider that most of people who do the day to day yeoman's work for the Galactic Empire are probably either conscripts or slaves, that would reduce the operating costs even more.

Ok. The other night, I finally watched TFA. Thought it was pretty decent.

Glad they got back to telling the continuing story in order.

Question, does the new episode take place after TFA or do they go back to an odd order of the story?

I really didn't like the two episodes that went back in time.

Rogue One takes place in between Revenge of the Sith (episode 3) and A New Hope (episode 4).

So, technically, Rogue One is Episode 3.5

• Fire 1

So, the order has gone:

4, 5, 6, 1, 2, 7, 3 ????

Why the hell do they do that crap?

In order of release: 4 5 6 1 2 3 7 3.5

It seems to have worked out pretty well for Lucas :P

And it makes sense really. The prequels only exist because of the success of 4-6. And 4-6 are definitely the story that needed to be told. Everything else has been a bonus for fans.

Way back when, after 4-6 were out, Lucas said he would do 1-3 and 7-9. Then decided to not do 7-9 but Disney bought the rights so now we get it. 3.5 is kind of an offshoot but happens to fit between 2 of the movies.

I'm hoping they do something in a different time period eventually. The KOTOR game stories were really good.

• Fire 1

So, the order has gone:

4, 5, 6, 1, 2, 7, 3 ????

Why the hell do they do that crap?

Question, does the new episode take place after TFA or do they go back to an odd order of the story?

I really didn't like the two episodes that went back in time.

Woah, BRB. How much of Star Wars are you familiar with?

It started with 'Star Wars' (A New Hope). The original trilogy, from 1977 to 1983 (ish?) went in order. These became episodes 4-6 when George Lucas decided to do a prequel trilogy, which went 1-3 in order.

TFA continues 30-some years after Episode 6, and the new trilogy (7-8-9) will go in order.

Rogue One is part of a probably infinite series of disconnected offshoots from the main franchise, so it doesn't really matter where in the timeline any of them go.

Release Order: [4, 5, 6] - [1, 2, 3] - [7, 8, 9]

Chronological Order: [1, 2, 3] - [4, 5, 6] - [7, 8, 9]

As MC points out, Rogue One happens to be slotted chronologically in between the 3rd and 4th episodes because there's some gap to be filled there, but it's not part of the main series.

• Fire 3