Kevin WIlliams interview

What do you all think is the best way to move forward?

It is not players going on the radio knocking on the current coaches. it's not knocking on the legacy of players who came before you.

It is an exciting time to be a Cornhusker. Recruiting looks great, young stars are excited to commit to Nebraska. Why can't people have some optimism?

• Fire 2

You have every right to be embarrassed. It's just super odd.

If 1989 is your birth year, I think you'll grow out of it, though.

One thing, and then I won't reply, you can say a lot about Bo and his players, but there wasn't much, if any, give up in them.

I wish people would just defer to Coach Riley and his opinion of Bo and what Bo and his players did here.

HAHHAHA no giving up really? How in the world did Melvin Gordon run for 400 yards on a team that did not give up?

How did Wisconsin score 70 points in a championship team on a team that did not give up?

how about the stomping in Madison, and Ohio State?

How would you know what coach Riley thinks of Bo?

Way too many people equate results with effort.

They gave up 400 yards because they were put in bad positions by their coaches, failed to make plays when they had a chance and coaches failed to adjust.

I watched the game. It wasn't a lack of effort. It was a lack of execution, which was mainly the coaches fault.

There are dozens of articles quoting what Riley thought of Bo, what Bo's team accomplished and what he inherited in terms of talent.

Well you better cite your evidence, because until you do that I am inclined to believe that is not true.

It is not players going on the radio knocking on the current coaches. it's not knocking on the legacy of players who came before you.

It is an exciting time to be a Cornhusker. Recruiting looks great, young stars are excited to commit to Nebraska. Why can't people have some optimism?

I do! 10-2 this year at worst!

The schedule is a huge joke and Riley and his staff have proven that they can be in every single game...now they just need to close them out.

10-2 bare minimum

That KW interview followed him (and his fellow DLmen) being raked over the coals for their decisions to leave by fans and former players.

He probably should have declined the interview, but the fans and former players, especially the speculators, were in the wrong too.

They weren't helping anyone move forward either.

KW's interview wasn't inflammatory either. He was pretty diplomatic. People just don't like to hear that that players perceive the SEC as a better place to demonstrate talent than the B10. I think that's a misguided thought, but it's a commonly held one. I don't find it insulting. Just something that needs to be countered effectively.

I really respected the way Coach Riley handled it. He could have complained and laid a foundation for excuses by talking about how their decisions hurt the program, but he handled it beautifully and moved on. Banker too.

• Fire 3

Both JP and KW were out of line.

One of the few things we can agree on.

I think the JP shtick "90s this, 90s that, this is how we did it" is played out.

Amen!

We get it...there was basically a fight at every practice...and you were always in full pads...it was always full contact...every single player was totally held accountable at all times no matter what...if you loafed you got your ass kicked...if you drank water you got an ass kicking...

You have every right to be embarrassed. It's just super odd.

If 1989 is your birth year, I think you'll grow out of it, though.

One thing, and then I won't reply, you can say a lot about Bo and his players, but there wasn't much, if any, give up in them.

I wish people would just defer to Coach Riley and his opinion of Bo and what Bo and his players did here.

HAHHAHA no giving up really? How in the world did Melvin Gordon run for 400 yards on a team that did not give up?

How did Wisconsin score 70 points in a championship team on a team that did not give up?

how about the stomping in Madison, and Ohio State?

How would you know what coach Riley thinks of Bo?

Way too many people equate results with effort.

They gave up 400 yards because they were put in bad positions by their coaches, failed to make plays when they had a chance and coaches failed to adjust.

I watched the game. It wasn't a lack of effort. It was a lack of execution, which was mainly the coaches fault.

There are dozens of articles quoting what Riley thought of Bo, what Bo's team accomplished and what he inherited in terms of talent.

Well you better cite your evidence, because until you do that I am inclined to believe that is not true.

Evidence to which part? Google has the links if you search "pelini" "Riley" "expectations" and "Osborne".

On my phone; will try to find some of the more pertinent examples.

• Fire 2

Here's a quick one: http://collegefootball.ap.org/article/huskers-riley-expectations-osborne-nice-guy-persona

Relevant part (bolded is funny):

AP: Do you think Nebraska was looking for a personality like yours after seven years with the volatile Pelini?

Riley: That is a question for them. I don't know Bo. I do know this: he recruited a lot of really good guys here and won a lot of games. All I'll say about that is I appreciate the work that's been done here.

AP: Are you surprised Nebraska hasn't won a conference title since 1999?

Riley: Yeah, that's a surprising stat. I think part of that has a lot to do with the changing landscape of college football. You've seen with 85 scholarships things even out and a few different (teams) emerge. The positive is, even though we haven't won a conference championship in that time, it's been a good team. We've been on the edge of championships lots of what other people would say are pretty good seasons.

• Fire 2

Here's a quick one: http://collegefootball.ap.org/article/huskers-riley-expectations-osborne-nice-guy-persona

AP: Do you think Nebraska was looking for a personality like yours after seven years with the volatile Pelini?

Riley: That is a question for them. I don't know Bo. I do know this: he recruited a lot of really good guys here and won a lot of games. All I'll say about that is I appreciate the work that's been done here.

Riley: Yeah, that's a surprising stat. I think part of that has a lot to do with the changing landscape of college football. You've seen with 85 scholarships things even out and a few different (teams) emerge. The positive is, even though we haven't won a conference championship in that time, it's been a good team. We've been on the edge of championships lots of what other people would say are pretty good seasons.

Context is the key to understanding why Nebraska football is where it is at today.

Solich reached a National title game two years prior to be fired, Solich had good teams. Solich won a conference title in year 2. Something Callahan did not do, and something Bo did not do.

Nebraska is big time football. Nebraska is not defined solely on winning a certain amount of games, it has historically been defined by the titles and championships it has won.

If a coach cannot prove to his superiors that he is leading Nebraska towards that definition, than they won't be employed here. It became evident in all three firings that the coaches were not getting any closer to having that definition come to fruition.

JP makes an indirect but obvious dig at the DL (not just KW), attacking their manhood, heart and calling them pretenders.

I don't think that warranted a respectful response, regardless of whether he's an elder.

The better course would have been for all of them to stay off of Twitter.

it didn't warrant a response AT ALL...

I know you have your "party line" you have to follow, but be objective at least once in a while.

and by the way, it was not directed at KW or "at the DL". just those who would quit on their teammates.

Context is the key to understanding why Nebraska football is where it is at today.

Solich reached a National title game two years prior to be fired, Solich had good teams. Solich won a conference title in year 2. Something Callahan did not do, and something Bo did not do.

Nebraska is big time football. Nebraska is not defined solely on winning a certain amount of games, it has historically been defined by the titles and championships it has won.

If a coach cannot prove to his superiors that he is leading Nebraska towards that definition, than they won't be employed here. It became evident in all three firings that the coaches were not getting any closer to having that definition come to fruition.

LMAO.

"'BRASKA!"

"'MURRICA!"

CM is right. You WERE born in 1989, weren't you?

• Fire 2

This thread is almost full dumpster fire.

Can we get a fight over TMart's throwing motion going as well? Maybe compare stats between he and TA- with a few Frazier and Crouch references for old times sake.

This can then devolve into current coaches asking TO for advice (it may already be in here).

Maybe a rehash of Beck and Watson? Tangent conversstion on stars in recruiting vs. diamonds in the rough?

After that we will blame it on Bo, then Eichorst, then Perlman, we'll tie a bow around it and BAM! Huskerboard magic!

• Fire 2

Maybe it didn't warrant a response, maybe it did. I don't know. After multiple season-ending injuries and giving 5-6 years to a program, I don't think many would want to hear former players publicly blast them on Twitter questioning their heart and manhood.

• Fire 1