Iowa got their participation ribbons

The original point was that their ugly end to a special season was celebrated via rings because it's the only thing they have to hang their hats on in school history. We don't have to do that, our recent success or lack therof isn't the point.

Exactly, this is similar to the Colts hanging that absurd "AFC playoff participant" banner or whatever it was. You don't see the Packers, 49ers, or Dallas, hanging trash like that, nor should they. Or anyone. Rings are winning big games, not showing up to them.

• Fire 1

I'm happy to take a Division Trophy home, and it's great that players get Rose Bowl jersey and etc. But celebrating an embarassing loss is just silly.

Completely agree, however it also show what level Iowa is at - they hit a high point for the last 50 years (and were happy finishing second). Fortunately, we have had greater success in that time frame - just need to get back into the tier 1 programs soon so that we don't ever have thoughts of being at the level of Iowa.

I'm happy to take a Division Trophy home, and it's great that players get Rose Bowl jersey and etc. But celebrating an embarassing loss is just silly.

Completely agree, however it also show what level Iowa is at - they hit a high point for the last 50 years (and were happy finishing second). Fortunately, we have had greater success in that time frame - just need to get back into the tier 1 programs soon so that we don't ever have thoughts of being at the level of Iowa.

It all depends on how wide your timeline lens is.

All-time? No question, we're leaps and bounds above.

Last 50 years? Same answer, there's no comparison.

Last 25 years? Possibly even moreso dominant and superior.

Last 10 years? Iowa's been the better program, and it doesn't hurt anyone to admit.

Iowa has had three 11+ win seasons and 5 top-10 finishes since the last time we had either.

I don't think that's the point.

I figured the point was to make Nebraska fan feel better that he isn't Iowa fan, even though Iowa fan has better accomplishments to celebrate over the last decade :shrug:

It's just Iowa patting themselves on the back for nothing in the end. Only champions should get rings IMO. So I guess if they want rings for Conference division champs then I suppose that's their prerogative, but luckily Nebraska didn't do that in 2009, 2010, 2012.

We accepted trophies for divisional wins. Is that really much different?

Seems like an unnecessary and arbitrary distinction. A perfect undefeated regular season is a hell of an accomplishment and something that should be recognized and celebrated by anyone. Who cares?

We didn't craft the trophies ourselves. Those were given by the conference.

Huge difference.

• Fire 4

It all depends on how wide your timeline lens is.

All-time? No question, we're leaps and bounds above.

Last 50 years? Same answer, there's no comparison.

Last 25 years? Possibly even moreso dominant and superior.

Last 10 years? Iowa's been the better program, and it doesn't hurt anyone to admit.

Do you think every year our players should get rings for having the most wins for the past 25/50 years? That's quite an accomplishment and should be celebrated. Amirite?