The General Election

Let's say Trump loses this election. How does he recover from the path of destruction he's waged here? Or does he become the next Sarah Palin, speaking to crowds who lap up his rhetoric?

When Trump loses, he will go on a tour of media and speaking to crowds of his followers claiming it was all rigged and the people really do love him and he is really great and if you doubt any of it just ask him.

He will slowly fade off into the sunset. However, that fading will be much faster than with Palin due to the fact he will not have any support from any political establishment other than his followers.

You won't see him on the campaign trail like Palin due to the fact every other candidate will be scared of who he is going to offend and dumb things he would say at campaign stops.

Over time, he will go back to being a real estate investor making some money and screwing people. (other than his wife).

You really think Palin has faded, or that Trump will? He was made for TV. He'll be filling the airwaves with his bluster until he can't any longer.

Well if Christie keeps his job getting the blow hard McDonald's for lunch maybe he'll fade away quickly.

I was suprised at that VA poll as well, Bnil. I had been thinking that it was going to go blue pretty firmly this election. She's not really crushing him in any state polls outside of NY, CA, and Wisconsin. I still think it's one of the best bets to continue to go bluer as the process rolls along. If she selects Tim Kaine as VP, I think you can wrap that one up.

I've long thought that perhaps the endgame is not really political for Trump. If he doesn't right this ship soon, he's going to get rolled. But either way, he got a ton of publicity. A large part of this for him, I'm sure, is the adoration and attention his ego gets. I'm sure in the back of his mind even if he tanks, he thinks of it all as a giant PR stunt. It's probably accurate to say he just slips pretty seamlessly back into the business world and continues doing what he was doing before.

I'm also skeptical that Trump ever really thought things would go this far. It seemed to be a PR stunt right from the start, sure would help explain why he has no real plans as president. Perhaps he has bought into the campaign after somehow winning a party nomination but the whole thing just reeks of an attention whore.

I'm also skeptical that Trump ever really thought things would go this far. It seemed to be a PR stunt right from the start, sure would help explain why he has no real plans as president. Perhaps he has bought into the campaign after somehow winning a party nomination but the whole thing just reeks of an attention whore.

I don't think the guy has any plan at all. He's like the loud mouth idiot sitting at the end of the bar ranting about everything in the world and about half tuned. Then....wakes up the next morning with a hangover and realizes he's been nominated.

People then start actually asking him real questions and he has to totally make it up on the fly....which...exposes his cluelessness.

I totally agree that he just got into the race to help his "brand". He didn't think it would get this far. And that can be seen in his campaign organization

By all accounts, he has no campaign infrastructure. He is being killed by Hillary in fundraising, as well as analytics/polling/modeling and the ground game. I thought I read somewhere that she has 700+ campaign employees and he has around 100, and he has no state-level campaign directors in some swing states like Ohio. Sure, that may have worked in the primaries where he was going against 10 others and was able to dominate the news cycle, but I don't think that is going to work in the general election.

Hillary is a terrible candidate and very beatable, but if Trump can't focus and put a filter on any thought that comes to mind, she is going to win easily.

Hillary is a very beatable candidate, and add to that coming off 8 years of a D in the white house, this should be a great opportunity for the Rs to win. But Trump is just too polarizing a figure, and there is no indication that he is going to "pivot" for the general election. He can't change, this is who he is.

I read a NYT article a couple months back that described GOP insiders as very concerned that Trump had become a zombie candidate-- that is, he was far too damaged and controversial (by conventional standards), but he was too far ahead with too much momentum for them to prevent a primary win and nomination.

It's still early, but he's trending like they ay have been correct.

Also Red, regarding infrastructure, I read the other day that she had more operatives already on the ground in a swing state (Ohio IIRC) than he has in his ENTIRE campaign. Pretty illustrative tidbit.

Writing for the website xojane.com, Stephanie Cegielski said that when she was brought aboard as communications director for the Make America Great Again PAC last summer, the instructions from Trump Tower were to make sure that Trump finished a respectable second in the GOP primary. It was made clear that Trump was running not as a serious contender, but as a “protest” candidate.

Article here

• Fire 1

Writing for the website xojane.com, Stephanie Cegielski said that when she was brought aboard as communications director for the Make America Great Again PAC last summer, the instructions from Trump Tower were to make sure that Trump finished a respectable second in the GOP primary. It was made clear that Trump was running not as a serious contender, but as a “protest” candidate.

Article here

Man... He sure didn't run the primary like he wanted to finish second...

I will say this, Trump has a few key issues in his platform that he's very firm and passionate about, but there are a lot of surrounding issues that he is not extremely knowledgeable at this point in time. I believe he's got the ability and lack of quality competition set out for him to win the general election in a landslide, but he's going to have to really dig in and learn a lot, develop stances and strategies on issues, and not waiver back and forth anymore. I think a lot of the waivering on some of the issues are because he doesn't have a strong opinion on a lot of them and therefore hasn't established his viewpoint yet.

He has a lot of work to do, and a lot of damage control as well with putting his foot in his mouth way too much. We will see what happens.

Article here

Man... He sure didn't run the primary like he wanted to finish second...

I will say this, Trump has a few key issues in his platform that he's very firm and passionate about, but there are a lot of surrounding issues that he is not extremely knowledgeable at this point in time. I believe he's got the ability and lack of quality competition set out for him to win the general election in a landslide, but he's going to have to really dig in and learn a lot, develop stances and strategies on issues, and not waiver back and forth anymore. I think a lot of the waivering on some of the issues are because he doesn't have a strong opinion on a lot of them and therefore hasn't established his viewpoint yet.

He has a lot of work to do, and a lot of damage control as well with putting his foot in his mouth way too much. We will see what happens.

I think he did. Throughout the primaries, he has insulted just about every minority group in the country. He stood up at debates and wouldn't discuss issues and after the debates, he would just make fun of everyone else there. All he did was remind us constantly about how great he thinks he is.

That's not how someone serious for the office carries on a primary race.

Funny thing is, every time he would insult someone or do something that normally would make a fool out of someone else, a certain crowd would just love him more because...."He's telling it like it is".....even though he just made up practically everything he said.

• Fire 3

Hillary is a terrible candidate and very beatable, but if Trump can't focus and put a filter on any thought that comes to mind, she is going to win easily.

Hillary is a very beatable candidate, and add to that coming off 8 years of a D in the white house, this should be a great opportunity for the Rs to win. But Trump is just too polarizing a figure, and there is no indication that he is going to "pivot" for the general election. He can't change, this is who he is.

Well he gave the best speech I have seen to date a week or so ago when he was using the teleprompter, and was totally on message. Outside of banning Muslims, a lot of his messages will resonate with swing voters. Maybe they need to medicate him a bit so he will be less erratic...lol. I think many in this country are scared and are looking for a figure who will make his primary job keeping them safe, and Trump has that "Papa Bear" persona, but he sometimes acts like "Crazy uncle bear" that has had too much to drink (even though I know he actually never drinks alcohol).