The General Election

Hold on...no one gets to tell other people if they are scared or not. I am freaked the f#*k out about sharks, period. I was in Florida a few years back and they had a "shark watch" going on and most people were like "Oh, you have nothing to be scared of that happens a lot, don't worry"

What? Screw that. If I am scared I am scared. Screw your "stats."

I have sisters and I bet they are way more worried about getting attacked/sexually assaulted than I am. Should I go show them some "stats" and tell them to stop being scared?

You think that family in Nebraska that found their daughter was killed by an illegal immigrant isn't a bit more scared? Quick, go show them the stats.

Put me in the ocean and show me stats about how few shark attacks there really are and guess what. I am going to still be freaking the f#*k out and not get in the water.

Scared is scared and frightened is frightened.

Do you think we should stop allowing people to go to the beach?

Do you think we should stop letting your sisters go to the bar?

No and No...

But that doesn't change the fact of how people feel and others trying to tell them "oh, I know you were inside that night club where the mass shooting took place but you should not be scared, statistically speaking it won't happen again"

And I suppose beaches should be closed when Jaws is out there. I am guessing that they do close them if they spot Jaws

Being scared isn't really a choice...it is how you freaking feel.

Fear isn't a bad thing, but unjustifies fear is. Which is what you guys are talking about. Yes, you should always be a little fearful so that you remain vigilant (watch for sharks at the beach, defensive driving, being aware of your surroundings late at night, keeping an eye on your drink/friends at a bar, checking your wallet/securing it in a crowded place), but when you let it interfere with your daily life then it is a problem.

Hold on...no one gets to tell other people if they are scared or not. I am freaked the f#*k out about sharks, period. I was in Florida a few years back and they had a "shark watch" going on and most people were like "Oh, you have nothing to be scared of that happens a lot, don't worry"

I have sisters and I bet they are way more worried about getting attacked/sexually assaulted than I am. Should I go show them some "stats" and tell them to stop being scared?

You think that family in Nebraska that found their daughter was killed by an illegal immigrant isn't a bit more scared? Quick, go show them the stats.

Put me in the ocean and show me stats about how few shark attacks there really are and guess what. I am going to still be freaking the f#*k out and not get in the water.

That's not the intent of what I was saying. Murder/crime are down, but obviously anyone who are actually victims or witness things or know someone who has have every reason to be scared. They were actually involved in the incidents.

What doesn't make sense at all, and what shouldn't ever be involved at all in policymaking, is the people who see these things from their TV and shout "omg what is happening to America today - I can't go outside!" without realizing that bad things aren't happening more often. They're just covered at higher rates and with more intensity. It's not up to the government to make policy that hurts a group of people in order to make everyone feel safer when things are safer than they ever have been.

I mean, I havent thought this comparison through yet, just saying it. But are Nebraska fans with 10-14 year olds scared to have their kids meet Nebraska football coaches because of what happened at Penn State? That got loads of coverage but common sense tells us it's extremely rare and not a reason to hide from all football coaches. The people who actually went through it probably don't ever let their own kids alone with adults, even their good friends, because they went through it.

Now, all of us being scared of football coaches is fine. But making laws that invade upon their constitutional rights is not fine.

• Fire 3

That's not the intent of what I was saying. Murder/crime are down, but obviously anyone who are actually victims or witness things or know someone who has have every reason to be scared. They were actually involved in the incidents.

What doesn't make sense at all, and what shouldn't ever be involved at all on policymaling, is the people who see these things from their TV and shout "omg what is happening to America today - I can't go outside!" without realizing that bad things aren't happening more often. They're just covered at higher rates and with more intensity. It's not up to the government to make policy that hurts a group of people in order to make everyone feel safer when things are safer than they ever have been.

I mean, I havent thought this comparison through yet, just saying it. But are Nebraska fans with 10-14 year olds scared to have their kids meet Nebraska football coaches because of what happened at Penn State? That got loads of coverage but common sense tells us it's extremely rare and not a reason to hide from all football coaches. The people who actually went through it probably don't ever let their own kids alone with adults, even their good friends, because they went through it.

Now, all of us being scared of football coaches is fine. But making laws that invade upon their constitutional rights is not fine.

I can't remember, do you feel the same way about more gun control (see bold)? You may, just can't remember.

What doesn't make sense at all, and what shouldn't ever be involved at all on policymaling, is the people who see these things from their TV and shout "omg what is happening to America today - I can't go outside!" without realizing that bad things aren't happening more often. They're just covered at higher rates and with more intensity. It's not up to the government to make policy that hurts a group of people in order to make everyone feel safer when things are safer than they ever have been.

I can't remember, do you feel the same way about more gun control (see bold)? You may, just can't remember.

I'm not super opinionated on gun control. It's very far down my list of things that I'm concerned about. I think make it a bit harder to get them. It's similar to my opinion on the police thing - spend $ on having cameras on the officers. It would probably protect the police more than the criminals.

But the way I see it; people having to jump through an extra hoop to buy a gun isn't the same as specifically profiling an entire race/religion by putting surveillance on them. (Just talking about citizens here). It opens the floodgates for the government to start doing it to anyone for any reason. I don't know why people care so much more about the 2nd amendment than the 4th.

• Fire 1

"Pull" as in "get a copy of," not as in "take that off the air right now."

Similar requests were made for video of Donald Trump.

https://wikileaks.org/dnc-emails/emailid/4432

EDIT - whoops. Looks like a post made just before mine was deleted. It was about a DNC request to "pull" video occurring on MSNBC at the time. Doesn't seem like that was what was actually being requested:

https://twitter.com/zachhaller/status/756760884072976384

• Fire 1
Politics is shady -- and manipulative. If nothing else, this should cause some real introspection within the Democratic Party. I mean, all politics is theater, and every campaign is full of people being paid to think of ways to use media and other messaging to swing voters. We've gotten it down to a darn science these days, and nobody has done it better than the Obama operation now being employed to work for Hillary. Is all of this ... healthy?

Forgive me for not indulging in what's potentially* a foreign government's attempt to influence the American election, though. We know where Russia stands. And we know how Russia plays the game.

So let's also think a little before hopping on the #TwitterSlam train with every nakedly scandal-chasing tidbit they have tried to unleash into the news cycle.

I don't find it difficult to believe that the Democrats wanted Clinton as the nominee from the very beginning, nor do I find it difficult to believe they manipulated things from the get-go. I would imagine these emails represent politics as usual and I wouldn't be surprised to see emails from the RNC strategizing ways to derail Trump.

I think this whole election has been rigged from the very beginning to make Clinton our new president.

I have two kids under 10 and am scared to take them to large cities or places with large crowds.

I'm scared for your kids' development of social skills growing up under such a paranoid parent.

Wow do you not have kids? I have heard from many parents with kids our age saying the exact same thing about the world we live in right now. Being cautious and protective with them has no bearing on their social development whatsoever no matter what belief system you subscribe to.

That's EXACTLY what it will do.

If you keep your kids away from the "Big Ol' Mean City" and crowds of people, they will develop the same backward mindset that people of other colors, heritages, orientations, beliefs, etc, are going to all do them harm. Then no one learns. No one listens. And everyone becomes a Republican.

Or they could learn how to be a Democrat that lies/panders to minorities every four years while continuing to do nothing for them.

I have two kids under 10 and am scared to take them to large cities or places with large crowds.

I'm scared for your kids' development of social skills growing up under such a paranoid parent.

Wow do you not have kids? I have heard from many parents with kids our age saying the exact same thing about the world we live in right now. Being cautious and protective with them has no bearing on their social development whatsoever no matter what belief system you subscribe to.

That's EXACTLY what it will do.

If you keep your kids away from the "Big Ol' Mean City" and crowds of people, they will develop the same backward mindset that people of other colors, heritages, orientations, beliefs, etc, are going to all do them harm. Then no one learns. No one listens. And everyone becomes a Republican.

Or they could learn how to be a Democrat that lies/panders to minorities every four years while continuing to do nothing for them.

You know what, at least that would be a start for Republicans. Instead they act as if minorities are lesser than white, middle aged, men. Even if the Right acknowledged minorities every four years it would be a start.

I get what you're saying Z But I'm not swimming in the ocean!

Haha, fair enough my man. Just don't be afraid to live a little!

Don't tell me how to live!!!! Haha

Trust me, I get that I have no rational fear to be worried about sharks eating me in the ocean. But I will tell you this it freaks me out. So when people say things like oh you shouldn't be scared of this or should be scared of that and they try to use statistics to prove it it does nothing for me. I'd rather take a walk with an American flag wrapped around my body in downtown Falluja than I would get into the middle of the freaking ocean Where sharks have been spotted! The thought of one of them biting into me and pulling me under the water is I'm gasping for my last breath… No thanks!