Direction of the Program

111 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

You are basing this off one season and his record at a sh**ty PAC12 school. Patience is virtue pal, lets see how this season shakes out.

So Riley's career record at Oregon State doesn't matter?.....and his first season as coach at Nebraska gets him a "pass" since it was a "transition" year.

Is any season record for Riley ever going to matter?

It's kinda interesting. When I recently looked up Frank Solich's record at Ohio, it was very similar to Mike Riley's at Oregon State, including turning a moribund program around, then following up with a series of peaks and valleys. Riley never got the conference championships Frank got in the MAC, but he had several winning seasons, a good bowl record, and some major college football upsets in a much tougher conference.

Not saying it proves much. Just another way of looking at it that isn't quite so crabby.

Frank's never won the MAC fwiw. Won his division a few times.

The recruiting disadvantages at Oregon State vs the rest of the Pac-12 are much steeper than Ohio vs Bowling Green or whoever. Teams are on a similar playing field recruiting wise in the MAC, save for maybe Eastern Michigan. Not the case for Oregon State vs USC and others.

My long term gut prediction is that Riley's NU stint will mirror Callahan's, a bad first season followed by two decent seasons and maybe a conf. championship appearance then a tire fire to close things out season 4. No way the AD admits fault and fires HIS guy. So instead of getting fired he'll retire under pressure.

• Fire 1

I'm still not 100% sold that Riley is the answer, but I was also never sold that Pelini was. Until they accomplish something of significance then I will always be at least somewhat apprehensive.

Riley, in my opinion, should be held to the same standard as those that came before him. I've maintained for years that Nebraska is capable of conference championships and should be capable of winning at least one or two per decade. But, if after multiple seasons and a variety of talent combinations the program is still treading water and failing to get over the hump, perhaps then it will be time to re-evaluate the situation.

• Fire 1

I'm still not 100% sold that Riley is the answer, but I was also never sold that Pelini was. Until they accomplish something of significance then I will always be at least somewhat apprehensive.

Riley, in my opinion, should be held to the same standard as those that came before him. I've maintained for years that Nebraska is capable of conference championships and should be capable of winning at least one or two per decade. But, if after multiple seasons and a variety of talent combinations the program is still treading water and failing to get over the hump, perhaps then it will be time to re-evaluate the situation.

I agree with this. I really think the whole #Calabraska thing is going to end up being huge for us (and already has been somewhat). Even if it doesn't end up panning out as well as we all hope, the exposure we are gaining from it is nothing but good for the program. I can't remember a time we've had "a movement" in recruiting, to me that is heading in the right direction.

Serious question: Have we ever had a recruiting situation or been in on a school like Calabasas, where we've had so many high profile recruits with serious interest in us, that basically all know each other quite well?

Mike Riley's career at Oregon State is incredible when looked at with context and nuance. It's akin to Bill Snyder at KSU.

I think that's an overstatement. If he'd actually won a championship (or even a division), there would be room for comparison. His best position in the P12 was tied for 2nd two years and after the split into divisions, his best finish in the division was 3rd.

Then there's the question of what was inherited. KSU had one just 9 games total during the 6 years before Snyder arrived. Prior to his arrival, KSU had only 2 .500+ or better seasons since 1955 (both were 6-5 campaigns). In contrast, they had 10 1-win seasons (half of which were goose egg seasons) during that period.

Riley on the other hand did initially take over a similarly bad OSU program but only last two years while posting a 8-14 record (and placing at best T-8th in the P12, a place that OSU finished at twice in the preceding 4 years). On his second stint, he inherited a team that was already arguably on an upswing due Dennis Erikson and his profile.

Snyder is a HOF coach and for good reason. I don't think that if Riley retired from football, he would be considered an HOFer, and he'd have to do some remarkable things at NU to elevate his career to that status.

• Fire 3

Mike Riley's career at Oregon State is incredible when looked at with context and nuance. It's akin to Bill Snyder at KSU.

I think that's an overstatement. If he'd actually won a championship (or even a division), there would be room for comparison. His best position in the P12 was tied for 2nd two years and after the split into divisions, his best finish in the division was 3rd.

Then there's the question of what was inherited. KSU had one just 9 games total during the 6 years before Snyder arrived. Prior to his arrival, KSU had only 2 .500+ or better seasons since 1955 (both were 6-5 campaigns). In contrast, they had 10 1-win seasons (half of which were goose egg seasons) during that period.

Riley on the other hand did initially take over a similarly bad OSU program but only last two years while posting a 8-14 record (and placing at best T-8th in the P12, a place that OSU finished at twice in the preceding 4 years). On his second stint, he inherited a team that was already arguably on an upswing due Dennis Erikson and his profile.

Snyder is a HOF coach and for good reason. I don't think that if Riley retired from football, he would be considered an HOFer, and he'd have to do some remarkable things at NU to elevate his career to that status.

I have to agree with the gist of this but I would suggest that saying Riley isn't the hall of fame coach that Snyder is likely to be is also not to say that he is a failure as a coah and it also does not say he cannot turn Nebraska football around. I am not sure hiring Bill Snyder would have been the splash 'big name' hire most were hoping for either. But both are capable of doing excellent things as HC of the Huskers. And, assuming Riley gets NU a Big Ten title in the next five years, I think he will be more favorably remembered than Callahan and Pelini certainly. He could end up being comparable to Frank in terms of Husker historical lore as Frank still retains some of his stature as an Assistant HC, RBs and freshmen team coach and player. He will always be a Husker in the hearts of most fans I dare say.

Of coarse it is not a true comparison. Snyder has by far had the better look at things. Since his return he has had some nice season's, but he has also had some pretty poor ones. Even before he retired he had a few season's where KSU wasn't super great. He had a real nice 7-8 year run in the 90's where they were really consistantly good. I think the major difference is that MR over his tenure at OSU was competing with the Ducks for players and support in the state while Snyder and KSU has been competing with KU. That is a big difference.

It is hard to compete with all that Nike money.

I agree with this. I really think the whole #Calabraska thing is going to end up being huge for us (and already has been somewhat). Even if it doesn't end up panning out as well as we all hope, the exposure we are gaining from it is nothing but good for the program. I can't remember a time we've had "a movement" in recruiting, to me that is heading in the right direction.

Serious question: Have we ever had a recruiting situation or been in on a school like Calabasas, where we've had so many high profile recruits with serious interest in us, that basically all know each other quite well?

I definitely don't follow recruiting close enough to give an accurate answer, but coming from the perspective of a fan who is 'generally aware' of recruiting each year, I'd say I don't readily remember a situation quite like this. We've definitely had recruits who were close at a school and committed together, but few circumstances have involved such highly touted players.

I'd say that Snyder was also competing directly with NU, considering the distance between Lincoln and Manhattan is only 136 miles. Missouri is 250 miles away and OU is 300 miles away. By comparison, Corvallis only has one other DIA school within 500 miles of it (UW at 250 miles).

That "nice 7-8 year run" actually included an 11-year stretch where KSU finished ranked in the top 20 10 time and in the top 10 six times. KSU had never finished a season ranked before Snyder, let alone ranked in the top 10.

Nothing on Riley's record at OSU is comparable to that (he didn't even post the highest ranked football team during the 18 seasons from his first to his last at OSU. Erickson did that with a #4 ranking in 2000.

• Fire 1

I'd say that Snyder was also competing directly with NU, considering the distance between Lincoln and Manhattan is only 136 miles. Missouri is 250 miles away and OU is 300 miles away. By comparison, Corvallis only has one other DIA school within 500 miles of it (UW at 250 miles).

That "nice 7-8 year run" actually included an 11-year stretch where KSU finished ranked in the top 20 10 time and in the top 10 six times. KSU had never finished a season ranked before Snyder, let alone ranked in the top 10.

Nothing on Riley's record at OSU is comparable to that (he didn't even post the highest ranked football team during the 18 seasons from his first to his last at OSU. Erickson did that with a #4 ranking in 2000.

Just for accuracy Oregon, Washington, Washington St, and Boise St are all within 500 miles of Corvallis.

• Fire 2

Langsdorf showed me he can get guys open.

Banker showed me squat.

JP will get those guys flying like their balls on fire.

I see the Huskers having another losing season. Armstrong isn't a good fit and Langsdorf will panic and be pass happy.

This said, the program is headed the right way. Wins/losses are important, but character is what wins life battles. I believe MR will teach the players that. He will make them better men.

• Fire 1

Okay, Snyder at KSU has been a few seasons and a couple titles better than Riley was at OSU.

The comparison was both men took a perrenial bottom feeder and turned them into a respectable team capable of pulling upsets and winning seasons.

Fair enough?

You really mean that? Covallis is about 50 miles from Eugene, Or. With BSU, WSU, WA, Nevada and Idaho all within 500 miles. Cal and Stanford are only 600 to Corvallis.

When I said nice 7-8 year run I ment with good records he dipped to around .500 for a couple years. No one is trying to say that Bill Snyders transformation of KSU wasn't remarkable and worthy of HOF status. What more are saying is that MR did something somewhat similar at OSU. Yes, I know you will point at Dennis Erickson doing some great things, but you have to realize he did most of that with the guys MR recruited.

Just for accuracy Oregon, Washington, Washington St, and Boise St are all within 500 miles of Corvallis.

You're right, Wassu and Boise are at 430 and 480 miles... Forgot about them. Of course the population of Oregon and its border states (excluding California) is 13 million. California would add another 40 million to that number. By comparison, KU and all of its border states clock in around 18 million.

Point is, KSU was not better situated for Snyder than OSU was for Riley, which was the claim made earlier in the thread.

• Fire 1