Riley brings gang-rape survivor Brenda Tracy to Nebraska

I'm listening to the radio broadcast from Huskers.com. Just kind of a "c'mon, Matt" moment. I like Davison's commentary generally.

Ugh. That would have lit me up. Probably good I wasn't listening ... I've struggled a bit with his politics and that would have put me solidly in the "dislike" camp.

^Being facetious haha.

Man, I don't know how I feel about Matt Davison equating players having football success with ability to make "new girlfriends". Have a good day on the field and hey, "won't be lonely" moving forward.

Not trying to put him on blast here, but you want to talk about changing the culture, let's not end with the culture within the team.

As long as it's consensual it's not our place to judge. Admittedly weird comment to make though.

As long as it's consensual it's not our place to judge. Admittedly weird comment to make though.

Yeah, consent wasn't a part of Davison's remarks though. It's the parlance. We have a society that casually treats women as conquests. Success (not just athletic) naturally means the acquisition of female companionship, wink, wink, if you know what I mean, up top, right, fellas?

Break that mold.

you know getting this fixed to a huge weight off Brenda and HCMR s shoulders.

I don't think anything's been fixed, really, and it's no weight off Brenda's shoulders. She's continuing to advocate and it's important. There's no "all good" about this, but hopefully by continuing to be a presence and command respect, she can promote an attitude shift. We're getting there, slowly.

Yeah, consent wasn't a part of Davison's remarks though. It's the parlance. We have a society that casually treats women as conquests. Success (not just athletic) naturally means the acquisition of female companionship, wink, wink, if you know what I mean, up top, right, fellas?

Break that mold.

I didn't hear Davison's comment but I'm sure he's not condoning any illegal action. Second, people are naturally more attracted to successful people. I also don't care if they use that success, be it male or female, to sleep around. As long as it's two consenting adults what's the problem?

Break that mold.

I don't think anything's been fixed, really, and it's no weight off Brenda's shoulders. She's continuing to advocate and it's important. There's no "all good" about this, but hopefully by continuing to be a presence and command respect, she can promote an attitude shift. We're getting there, slowly.

Thank you Zoogs.

Break that mold.

I didn't hear Davison's comment but I'm sure he's not condoning any illegal action. Second, people are naturally more attracted to successful people. I also don't care if they use that success, be it male or female, to sleep around. As long as it's two consenting adults what's the problem?

It has nothing to do with consent or illegal behavior, and you are right that wasnt what he was suggesting. Its an attitude, and it hasnt changed even with increased awareness and attention - generations have just learned to keep it more under the table. But these comments are not uncommon and it should be embarrassing for him that he slipped and said it on a broadcast.

Do me a favor and read back thru your comments after listening to Davison and see if you can catch the disconnect - if you dont then this is an entirely different conversation - I dont want to assume we are already at that point.

Illegal is not my point. I'm not saying anything *illegal* was condoned. I'm pointing out that society unblinkingly, unthinkingly relegates women to accessories for successful men. To the extent that this happens in reverse (which wouldn't be the goal), the criteria are *very* different. Successful, beautiful women are going to make some man really lucky one day. Successful men get access to all the best booty. The way we talk about things is important.

I'm not out here to demonize people for thinking this way. I think it's pretty deeply ingrained habit. But it's worth changing, so I think it's worth pointing it out.

IDK if there'll be a link. It was just after the game, and the two radio guys were chatting about players who had made a name for themselves and were about to become known.

• Fire 1

Yeah, consent wasn't a part of Davison's remarks though. It's the parlance. We have a society that casually treats women as conquests. Success (not just athletic) naturally means the acquisition of female companionship, wink, wink, if you know what I mean, up top, right, fellas?Break that mold.

So shes always been a Nebraska fan and took a selfie with her Nebraska shirt on and tweeted it out b/c things between her and HCMR arent better? I mean, i get where you are going, but i dont think you can say things arent better between her and HCMR.