Veepstakes

Things I've read about Pence since I got home from work today:

• Penned op-ed: Smoking doesn't kill.

• Claims to support science, does not believe in evolution.
  • Also claims there's "growing skepticism in the scientific community" about global warming
  • Anti-stem cell

Relevant part starts at about 8:00.

This guy loves him some science.

Folded up like a folding chair when he realized how discriminatory his Religious Freedom Restoration Act was.

Barf. I'm sure some right of center will love this guy, but he strikes me as another tea party nutball. Who now has favorables akin to Clinton or Trump in his home state.

From the little I've read of him, Pence is a staunch conservative and evangelical -- but also was one of the Republican governors who worked with the Obama administration to expand Medicaid.

He seems like a not-too-atypical GOP sort of guy. The kind I would oppose in almost every area, most of them pretty strongly (such as science denial), but who I also understand does represent the views of many Americans and doesn't seem like a total nut. Although he is a firm part of the Tea Party wave, and at this point it's sometimes hard to tell which is supposed to be mainstream GOP and which is the fringe.

Put another way, Mike Pence is the sort of guy it would make sense to me to see be a GOP darling and frontrunner.

Yes, Zoogs. I agree he's the archetype they'd go for. The GOP base certainly yearns for some very particular flavors of values at the omen I certainly don't agree with, personally.

For a short period of time this year, I even developed some respect for Paul Ryan for being the sane face of a party coming apart at the seams. Then he seemed to lose his spine and endorse Trump while also seemingly saying "I disagree" on every controversial topic Trump fumbled thereafter. Why endorse? He seemed to lose his principle.

He now seems more interested in finding more ways to fling more mud at Clinton rather than passing meaningful bipartisan legislation, can't control the extreme right faction of his house re: the IRS, and ignores gun violence. My oh my, that respect certainly evaporated quickly.

More Pence goodies this morning:

Yuck.

Am I the only one that wishes Pence and Kaine were the Presidential candidates instead of Trump and Clinton?

No...i think many on here and around the nation would prefer them. Of the 2 picks I think Pence helps Hillary more than Kaine helps Hillary. Progressives are not in love with Hillary, and Kaine is not exciting them. Trump already has appeal to the independents and the blue collar middle class and needed to get a higher percent of Conservatives. Pence will help him with that.

With the wikileaka showing the DNC rigged the primary, I look for Jill Steins numbers to go up.

I need to read up more on Kaine, but I think it will be interesting to see if the undecided read up on Pence ... he's always going to be like milktoast behind Trump on stage, but his past voting history and opinions on issues is horrific on many that are important to folks, especially those who were supporting Bernie.

Here are some of my favs:

· Voted NO on prohibiting job discrimination based on sexual orientation. (Nov 2007)

· Voted YES on Constitutionally defining marriage as one-man-one-woman. (Jul 2006)

· Voted YES on banning federal health coverage that includes abortion. (May 2011)

· Voted NO on allowing human embryonic stem cell research. (May 2005)

· Voted YES on banning Family Planning funding in US aid abroad. (May 2001)

· Sponsored bill to prohibit fed funding of Planned Parenthood. (Jan 2011)

· Voted YES on Constitutional Amendment banning same-sex marriage. (Sep 2004)

· Voted NO on enforcing against anti-gay hate crimes. (Apr 2009)

· Voted NO on $84 million in grants for Black and Hispanic colleges. (Mar 2006)

· Voted NO on enforcing limits on CO2 global warming pollution. (Jun 2009)

· Voted NO on tax incentives for renewable energy. (Feb 2008)

· Voted YES on speeding up approval of forest thinning projects. (Nov 2003)

· Voted NO on four weeks of paid parental leave for federal employees. (Jun 2009)

· Voted YES on prohibiting product misuse lawsuits on gun manufacturers. (Oct 2005)

· Voted YES on prohibiting suing gunmakers & sellers for gun misuse. (Apr 2003)

· Yes to Loosen restrictions on interstate gun purchases. (Oct 2011)

· No to Ban gun registration & trigger lock law in Washington DC. (Mar 2007)

· Voted NO on giving mental health full equity with physical health. (Mar 2008)

Similar to when Chaney was around, and probably to an even greater degree he will be doing the US's business as the President would be incapable of doing so. One thing I can say I like (?) about Trump is that how he says he feels on issues may changes tomorrow, so there's a chance he'd support ideas that seem off the table right now. But Pence, he's a consistent, closed minded conservative that sits far, far to the right. Between that and Trumps/the republican party's platform I really don't see Bernie supporters swinging that way.