DT Calvin Avery [Illinois - Signed LOI]

Mavric

HuskerBoard Predictor  

69 members have voted

1. 1. To which school will Avery commit?

• Nebraska
    • Baylor
    • Oklahoma State
    • Texas
    • Oklahoma
    • Texas A&M
    • Colorado
    • Ohio State
    • TCU

This poll is closed to new votes

Nebraska recruiting guy said today Avery is NOT a DE and is not sure we have room for him. We really want two DEs so to take Avery we would probably change and only take one DE but that's not the plan at the moment. Said if we had known we were switching to a 3-4 we MAY (speculation on his part) not have offered Masry - might not have taken more of a project as the only DT.

Not that he necessarily had any inside info, but that is his read on the situation.

We need to take Avery because there is a good chance Masry doesn't qualify. I think it was last week that Avery said in a video podcast that we told him he will be a DE/NT for us. Hate to pass up a player of his quality, especially if we aren't in on some top DE prospects.

I know how Diaco likes his lengthy D-ends in a 3-4, that's all well and good. The Green Bay Packers/other NFL teams get along just fine with short and squat Mike Daniels type players at D-end.

4 years from now I'd hate for us to watch a what could of been with Masry ruled ineligible and Avery making noise elsewhere. You MAKE room for players like this.

Nebraska recruiting guy said today Avery is NOT a DE and is not sure we have room for him. We really want two DEs so to take Avery we would probably change and only take one DE but that's not the plan at the moment. Said if we had known we were switching to a 3-4 we MAY (speculation on his part) not have offered Masry - might not have taken more of a project as the only DT.

Not that he necessarily had any inside info, but that is his read on the situation.

giphy.gif

• Fire 1

giphy.gif

This is your guy Spurs, don't let him slip away! You have to find room for this guy, because he is that good. Redshirt Mapsry and potentially beef up one of our current players to play DE, but we should be set at DE for a few years now. One of the two we make could lose weight to move to DE as well. I just do not see why anyone would pass on a player like this. So I will take that writers words with a grain and get Spurts back on track!

I'd rather us just cut ties to Masry then lose out on Avery.

It'd be a lot easier if he wasn't an in state kid.
Just cite the fact he may not qualify and we don't have room for gambles. Avery is hands down a better player.
I agree on Avery being better. However it's a slippery road dumping an in-state kid. HS coaches aren't dumb and the staff is in the middle of a major relationship repair with them.

This dude makes Mapieu look slower than molasses. Mapieu is slow and has troubles shedding his blocks. Avery has quick hands and gets penetration impressively quick, and has impressive speed for his size. In-state or not, Mapieu having possibility of grade issues and being clearly worse than Avery is more than enough for coaches to put more stock and time in Avery. Hope we get this kid.

• Fire 6
  • Mavric changed the title to DT Calvin Avery [Illinois - Signed LOI]