The Obama Legacy

Moiraine and Zoogs - both very good thoughts. I, as a white person, cannot imagine being AA and being approached by a person of authority or by a policeman without some concern based on the current mood. One of the most impactful books I read in high school so many years ago was "Black Like Me". A reporter from the north use pigmentation pills & dyes to cause him to look like a "Negro" from the south. He then traveled in Miss, Alabama etc and reported how he was treated. I thought of that book when I saw the girlfriend of the man killed in Minneapolis talk about the ordeal. Filming her boy friend dying. It is horrific and I grieve over that and the Baton Rouge incident as well. This summer has the feeling of 1967 or 1968 again - riots due to injustices not being addressed. I hope it doesn't go as bad as 67/68 but you both are right, these issues have to be dealt with. And Obama can turn this into a good thing. Perhaps, being AA himself & understanding the issue better based on experience, he was the 1st in a long time to address the injustices (at least give voice to ) that have been boiling under the surface.

I love that book. I've read it a couple times. Need to read it again.

Obama, like Bush, always felt well intentioned, even if I didn't agree with an approach.

The two candidates today don't strike me as well intentioned. They strike me as pure opportunists.

We finally agree on something.

Hey, that's progress. Just keep agreeing with me, and we'll get there. chuckleshuffle:B):lol:

After last week - Race relationships might be a part of Obama's legacy. Their are multiple reasons why the flames of racial fires have been fanned so one cannot peg this on the president singularly. But how he handles it going forward could become a part of his legacy.

You are right about that...it's race relations as well as general divisions in this country. Everything Obama does is based upon what is good for him politically, whether it's class warfare or racial warfare. There are two really good op eds out today showing how Obama has fueled the racial fire rather than bringing the country together as we promised.

http://spectator.org/the-road-to-dallas/

http://www.city-journal.org/html/americas-worst-president-14640.html

Obama will be going to Dallas tomorrow, and I will predict he will make a speech that comes off as though he's been an innocent bystander acting as though he has no responsibility for creating the environment we are in. It will be interesting to see if he also makes another pitch for gun control as he is an opportunist and seeks to exploit these tragedies to push his own agenda. He really is the anti-Lincoln.

Knapp, the president, none of them, have almost any impact on the value of the stock market, and to the degree that they do, it's a lagging indicator, so we might not know obamas until 5 to 10 years from now.

Very true...and there can be a good stock market despite average Americans struggling to make ends meet or find a job which is the situation we are in now. Wages continue to remain low, and income inequality has skyrocketed the past 7 years. Plus, there is a lot of foreign investment into our stock markets which fuel their rise but does not equate to a robust US economy from a GDP and employment perspective.

Knapp, the president, none of them, have almost any impact on the value of the stock market, and to the degree that they do, it's a lagging indicator, so we might not know obamas until 5 to 10 years from now.

Very true...and there can be a good stock market despite average Americans struggling to make ends meet or find a job which is the situation we are in now. Wages continue to remain low, and income inequality has skyrocketed the past 7 years. Plus, there is a lot of foreign investment into our stock markets which fuel their rise but does not equate to a robust US economy from a GDP and employment perspective.

Care to provide evidence and define "skyrocket" instead of just saying things? The rate of the increase in income inequality has not increased under Obama. Income inequality has increased for decades. He didn't fix it but it certainly isn't a "past 7 years" phenomenon nor has it "skyrocketed" in that time period unless you're redefining the word.

income-inequality-us.jpg

Historical-US-Income-Inequality-Current-

Piketty2015-incomedist.jpg

030514inequality1.jpg

saupload_-r-xKVwbiENxUR0Djnylp6h_1YYiUKA

Income-inequlity-in-US.jpg

Care to provide evidence and define "skyrocket" instead of just saying things? The rate of the increase in income inequality has not increased under Obama. Income inequality has increased for decades. He didn't fix it but it certainly isn't a "past 7 years" phenomenon nor has it "skyrocketed" in that time period unless you're redefining the word.

income-inequality-us.jpg

030514inequality1.jpg

Well let's just say it's grown faster under Obama than Clinton or Bush. If you want to argue semantics, be my guest, but for someone who campaigned on everyone getting there fair share and who seeks to level the playing field, the results have been the opposite of what he has sought.

http://ijr.com/2014/01/110968-can-guess-president-worst-record-income-inequality2/

Well let's just say it's grown faster under Obama than Clinton or Bush. If you want to argue semantics, be my guest, but for someone who campaigned on everyone getting there fair share and who seeks to level the playing field, the results have been the opposite of what he has sought.

http://ijr.com/2014/01/110968-can-guess-president-worst-record-income-inequality2/

It isn't semantics when you're using words that are completely wrong. "Soaring" and "Skyrocket" are absolutely wrong for this.

How can you possibly see this as skyrocketing??

income-gap-obama.jpg

Also, same stat, more years overall and more years for Obama:

1459361632606.png

It isn't semantics when you're using words that are completely wrong. "Soaring" and "Skyrocket" are absolutely wrong for this.

How can you possibly see this as skyrocketing??

income-gap-obama.jpg

Also, same stat, more years overall and more years for Obama:

1459361632606.png

Well for someone that claimed they were going to fix income inequality, to have the highest growth of inequality in 2 decades is saying a lot. Plus, as I stated, wages for american families have gone down, so much so that politico (which typically leans to the left) discussed this as an achilles for Obama's claims about having a great recovery.

http://www.politico.com/story/2015/11/democrats-wage-problem-labor-215854

http://www.breitbart.com/big-government/2015/09/03/age-of-obama-low-income-workers-see-greatest-decline-in-wages/

Obama never claimed he was going to "fix income inequality."

Even if he addressed income inequality, Congress has to be on board, unless you're OK with Obama doing everything by edict, which I doubt. If you're OK with the president acting unilaterally without the aid of Congress, I'd like to know what form of government you're OK with (here's a tip - it's not Democracy).

If you're not OK with the president acting unilaterally, how do you explain Congress' lack of aid in helping Obama fix income inequality? Or if you're not OK with that, where's the denunciation of Congress on that subject?

Well for someone that claimed they were going to fix income inequality, to have the highest growth of inequality in 2 decades is saying a lot.

I'm confused.

Has it skyrocketed, or is it saying a lot? What 'a lot' is it saying? When did Obama claim he was going to fix income inequality?

The latest statistical update (as of 1/1/16) reviewing Obama's time in office.

Summary

Since President Barack Obama first took office:

• The economy has added more than 10 million jobs, and job openings are at a 15-year high.
  • The unemployment rate has dropped well below the historical norm, but long-term unemployment remains higher than at the start of the Great Recession.
  • The buying power of the average worker’s weekly paycheck is up 4.4 percent.
  • Corporate profits are running 152 percent higher, and stock prices have soared.
  • The number of immigrants caught trying to enter the U.S. illegally has dropped 53 percent.
  • Federal debt has more than doubled, and annual deficits, after shrinking, are again on the rise.
  • The home ownership rate has dropped by 4 percentage points.
  • The number of Americans on food stamps is up 36 percent.
  • Oil imports are down 53 percent, and wind and solar power have quadrupled.
  • The number of people lacking health insurance has gone down by 15.2 million.

Tons more detail at: http://www.factcheck.org/2016/07/obamas-numbers-july-2016-update/

income-inequality-us.jpg

030514inequality1.jpg

Could you include a pie chart?

Because, you know, I love pie.

And get your minds out of the gutter.