Langsdorf: POB Has "Mixed" Reaction to Redshirt Year

"I think it was a little mixed," Langsdorf said. "I think everybody comes here wanting to be the starter and thinking it's just like high school. I think that's natural. And I would hope they feel like that because they're competitors.

"At the same time, I think there's a transition period. Guys go, 'Oh, this actually isn't the same as it was in high school. These guys are bigger and faster, and everybody's good.'"
The 6-foot-4, 230-pound O'Brien, of San Juan Capistrano, California, practiced with the lower units throughout spring drills, generally sharing repetitions with sophomore AJ Bush, while seniors Tommy Armstrong and Ryker Fyfe worked with the top units. Armstrong is the projected starter, having started 33 games in his career.
O'Brien ended spring drills by completing 6 of 10 passes for 59 yards, with an interception on the last play, in the April 16 Red-White Spring Game. He had a solid spring of work, showing decent arm strength and a certain smoothness operating the offense.

LJS

• Fire 1

I'm not necessarily against a redshirt year - though I think we'd be ahead to roll the dice and see what happens.

But the thing that I don't like is I assume this means he'll be relegated to running the scout team so he won't be getting as much time in our offense.

I really hope POB approaches this the right way because the path doesn't get much easier from here. He's going to go from battling an incumbent senior this year to competing against another guy with substantial division one experience in 2017.

I supect he didn't have grand illusions of beating out Tommy Armstrong for the starting job as a freshman but he probably was thinking he would work up to number 2 and get some snaps and see the field with the potential to see real action in event of injury, etc. Being told he is number 4 on the chart as a high school star and our only QB recruit with all the hype is another thing altogether. I wouldn't redshirt him if Fyfe or Armstrong get hurt and I hate the idea of heading into next season with absolutely NO snaps by any of our QBs. That is just not good planning in my view. Maybe Bush is good enough to the '17 starter. If so, then POB has something to work for - beat out AJ Bush.

It would be great if he has a good enough camp to get to QB2. But I am not sure how realistic it is.

I'm not necessarily against a redshirt year - though I think we'd be ahead to roll the dice and see what happens.

But the thing that I don't like is I assume this means he'll be relegated to running the scout team so he won't be getting as much time in our offense.

If he is redshirting, I am not sure being on the scout team is a huge negative. Sure, he won't get as many reps running our O, but he will be facing the #1 D unit every day. That has to have some advantages. (Insert your own joke about our pass D here)

Exactly. A redshirt this year puts him behind the 8 ball next year. He won't practice with the offense, he won't travel (or even suit up at home?) with the team, and he'll generally be not gaining much experience for what would make him competitive to start next year.

Maybe he's that far behind AJ, though, who I think is better than people credit him for, that it simply doesn't make sense to keep him available/have him practice with the 3's.

It would be great if he has a good enough camp to get to QB2. But I am not sure how realistic it is.

If he is redshirting, I am not sure being on the scout team is a huge negative. Sure, he won't get as many reps running our O, but he will be facing the #1 D unit every day. That has to have some advantages. (Insert your own joke about our pass D here)

Since we wont be running Langsdorf's offense next year, it may be good to get reps outside of offense designed for a running QB.

Since we wont be running Langsdorf's offense next year, it may be good to get reps outside of offense designed for a running QB.

Do you know something you're not telling us?

Where is this assumption that he will be exclusively running the scout team coming from? Tanner Lee can't play if we wanted him to and was vocal at the end of Spring about helping anyway that he can, which likely means reps on the scout team. As for POB, this move makes sense this in terms of this year and in the long term of the position. There are three QBs in front of him that already have a year in the offense, so it's hard for me to imagine a true freshman coming in and getting snaps.

I supect he didn't have grand illusions of beating out Tommy Armstrong for the starting job as a freshman but he probably was thinking he would work up to number 2 and get some snaps and see the field with the potential to see real action in event of injury, etc. Being told he is number 4 on the chart as a high school star and our only QB recruit with all the hype is another thing altogether. I wouldn't redshirt him if Fyfe or Armstrong get hurt and I hate the idea of heading into next season with absolutely NO snaps by any of our QBs. That is just not good planning in my view. Maybe Bush is good enough to the '17 starter. If so, then POB has something to work for - beat out AJ Bush.

He very well could still work himself up to the #2 spot with the rest of summer and fall camp ahead, though I don't think he will.

As for the bolded, I think POB will see some playing time if TA or RF sustain significant injuries. Otherwise, there's little reason to force snaps to the 4th string quarterback even if he is "the future." And don't forget - they do have someone with fairly substantial experience heading into the 2017 season - Tanner Lee.

The situation isn't that dire to me.

Exactly. A redshirt this year puts him behind the 8 ball next year. He won't practice with the offense, he won't travel (or even suit up at home?) with the team, and he'll generally be not gaining much experience for what would make him competitive to start next year.

Maybe he's that far behind AJ, though, who I think is better than people credit him for, that it simply doesn't make sense to keep him available/have him practice with the 3's.

You're preaching to the choir with me here. I think A.J. might have the most raw talent of all the QBs on the team. Langsdorf is supposed to be the QB whisperer, so I'd like to see him work to develop that talent...if that means a redshirt for POJ, so be it. It's not like he HAS to redshirt once the decision is made. If there were two injuries ahead of him, the redshirt can be pulled (something nobody likes to do, but it's an option in a worse case scenario). Tanner Lee is not an option this year. He HAS to sit out. I guess I'm saying, this is probably as much of a win-win as the coaches can get from the current roster.

Not sure whether he'll redshirt or not. I highly doubt that the decision has been made yet. And won't be made until fall camp is over and we get into the season. But if POB *doesn't* redshirt, keep in mind that he came to NU early and has been training, or at least been on campus, since January. By this fall I'm guessing he'll be well beyond where a true frosh usually is, development wise.