Where do you stand?

Our Staff  

127 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

I stand for:

Playing fundamentally sound football

Winning the most football games

Recruiting the best players

Hiring the best coaches

None of those things happened last year. I don't know the future and neither does anyone else.

So because where I stand is not represented in the answers... I did not respond.

As for the "poll". It's not a poll. It's just arguing "bait" by the person who made it up... as shown by the fact that the person who made it up is now arguing with people about their responses. It's not a poll... it's means nothing and shows nothing... it's just arguing bait.

I really like the contrast of image between Bo and Mike. It was a class act that MR brought in the rape victim and had her speak to the team. From a PR/image point of view MR gets an A in my book.

Cautiously optimistic about the recruiting: The new recruits and the momentum they bring in recruiting COULD be a big boast to the program. He needs to get some good Defensive guys to match the Offensive skill players. So, if all of these guys sign on the dotted line and end up 3/4 as good as advertised, it will speak very high of our potential to be a conf and national player again.

On the field- I'm still wait and see. Great PR, Great recruits can only take you so far. Can the staff coach these guys to the championship level. I think we are still 2 years away from that. I don't think we have the QB in place to get us there. If Mike can guide the team to a 9-11 win season, then I will be very optimistic regarding the years to follow. 8 wins - ho hum, 7 or less wins - a disappointment.

It looks like people are willing to put up with crappy on-the-field results as long as the coach and the staff are nice and they are strong at recruiting. I just hope it's not Bill Callahan 2.0.

Callahan might have been nice, especially early on. I probably would describe him as arrogant and condescending.

Question: What kind of adjustments could you have made?Callahan: Oh, I think it's probably too technical for you,

Yes, the personalities between Riley and Callahan are completely different, but the first year results were pretty much the exact same.
The long term results will be polar opposites.

The big difference is Riley understands the college game. BC didn't, won't and never will.

(A) What stocks should I pick this year?

(B) What's your evidence that Riley understands how to win championships at the college level?

A) You're just trying to insinuate that I am psychic in a sarcastic manner.

B) Obviously I have no proof since Mike Riley has never done so, but you knew that.

The only proof I can offer (that you won't agree with) is the fact that after one season that saw Nebraska lose 7 games, the team is still united more than I remember them being in a long time. Also the fact that after losing 7 games last year, we are still getting some top notch talent to take notice in us and come visit campus.

PS- Asking someone for proof in regards towards the future is blatantly being difficult.

actually, you're the one who insinuated that you're psychic.

And we're done here

It looks like people are willing to put up with crappy on-the-field results as long as the coach and the staff are nice and they are strong at recruiting. I just hope it's not Bill Callahan 2.0.

Callahan might have been nice, especially early on. I probably would describe him as arrogant and condescending.

Question: What kind of adjustments could you have made?Callahan: Oh, I think it's probably too technical for you,

Yes, the personalities between Riley and Callahan are completely different, but the first year results were pretty much the exact same.

The big difference is Riley understands the college game. BC didn't, won't and never will.

(B) What's your evidence that Riley understands how to win championships at the college level?

B) Obviously I have no proof since Mike Riley has never done so, but you knew that.

The only proof I can offer (that you won't agree with) is the fact that after one season that saw Nebraska lose 7 games, the team is still united more than I remember them being in a long time. Also the fact that after losing 7 games last year, we are still getting some top notch talent to take notice in us and come visit campus.

PS- Asking someone for proof in regards towards the future is blatantly being difficult.

And we're done here

This is your direct quote when comparing Callahan to Riley: "The long term results will be polar opposites."

Why get offended (especially after you tried to call me out)?

• Fire 1

And we're done here

This is your direct quote when comparing Callahan to Riley: "The long term results will be polar opposites."

Why get offended (especially after you tried to call me out)?

Not offended at all. My personal opinion/prediction is that Riley and BC's tenures here will look vastly different in the end. Simple as that, not sure why you're trying to make it into something more dramatic.

And where was I trying to call you out?

I was beyond shocked with him as the coach choice. I am pleased with the culture and recruiting that MR has brought so far. Guys were open last year in the passing game.

Year 1: I expected things to be up and down. Just no so many drastic high and lows.

Year 2: I expect consistency. Improvement on defense. Less WTH moments. Armstrong to be coached up. Banker to bring pressure.

MR loses points with me if doesn't manage the clock well, doesn't commit to the running game, and let's the OC act like he has Marino throwing passes.

I'd let my boys play for MR. He would teach them how to act like a real man and do things the right way.

• Fire 1

I love them. They make me extremely proud to be a Nebraska fan. I'm glad we got one of the ultimate good guys in CFB; it hardly had to be that way.

And for that, I hardly care if Nebraska wins 10 games or 4 games. Obviously, the former would be more enjoyable and it would result in a longer tenure.

But I'm way past the point where the absence of sports victories means anything to me. As I found out over the course of the previous regime's tenure, 9 or 10 wins can feel pre-t-ty hollow.

clintnod.gif

I'm supportive of the coaches and the program, but I selected "indifferent". The on-field results are what matters the most for me and the 2015 season was ridiculously bad. Riley is a nice person and a good offensive mind, but his in-game management stinks. It will be interesting if Langsdorf is truly interested in committing to running the ball this year. I understand that the WR's are a strength of the offense, but Armstrong shouldn't be throwing the ball more than 30 times a game. I think Banker sucks, and is not a good defensive coach. This is a guy who is Riley's lackey and Oregon State fans wanted fired years ago.

The future is looking decent with the recruiting of skill players in 2016, and the current commits for 2017. But, I truly question if Riley's coaching ability can make the team a 10-12 game winner each season. IMO, Riley was hired because he was the complete opposite of Pelini. That's all that Eichorst was looking for.

This right here. I genuinely believe that Riley's a good dude, but that doesn't win championships or pay the bills. I like some of the assistants, but others are... not my favorites. This year is going to the be the weakest the B1G has been since 2012, and likely the weakest it will be for quite a while. Anything more than 4 losses is a bad, bad year.

• Fire 3

I stand for:

Hiring the best coaches

None of those things happened last year. I don't know the future and neither does anyone else.

So because where I stand is not represented in the answers... I did not respond.

As for the "poll". It's not a poll. It's just arguing "bait" by the person who made it up... as shown by the fact that the person who made it up is now arguing with people about their responses. It's not a poll... it's means nothing and shows nothing... it's just arguing bait.

Crabby.

I stand for:

Hiring the best coaches

Crabby.

Nope... just being honest.

• Fire 1

As a guy who at times thought just maybe they should be fired (during season after bad losses) I have to say that I am tilting toward the "love them" side.

I pretty much love everything about them other than the W/L thing. And that will take care of itself either way. Put me officially on the bandwagon.

• Fire 1

I stand for:

Hiring the best coaches

Crabby.

Nope... just being honest.

Not arguing bait at all.

The person that made the poll up (me) didn't want to argue in this thread period and I'm not going to. cm just has a tendency to disagree with everything I post then demands I show him proof, nothing new.

Sorry you felt slighted by the poll, I feel super bad.

Like Riley, Bray, Parrella, Williams, Banker, Tavita Thompson

Indifferent about OCDL and Cavanaugh and Read (although he did a nice job for what he was hired to do)

Not particularly a fan of Davis, Stewart :hmmph

Like Todd McShane, Ryan Gunderson, Billy Devaney, Mark Philipp (all in supporting roles of staff in different areas)

• Fire 1

I like them but the future is not real bright as I see it now. Maximum 8 wins and a less than 50% chance at that. 7 wins is most likely. The great staff of yesteryear could develop players (I said develop, not attract) into championship level teammates at every position. Can this staff? Saw some flashes at Corvalis years (like a decade) ago. But I like and respect them. Not awe inspiring, but OK