What does "supporting the team" mean?

This sort of got started in another thread But what does supporting the team mean to you?

I guess these are things that I do I probably purchase one or two new husker shirts per year I watch every game either at a house party or at a bar or in Lincoln I usually go to one away game a year But I am never purchased tickets for a home game and rarely ever go into the stadium.

Is that enough support?

• Fire 1

Why no home games?

I guess it's perception and that differs oerson to person. Some people think simply being a fan rain or shine and sharing a positive outlook is proper fandom. Others feel that when the team is in a hardware drought we should point fingers and complain until it gets better so they can feel they made a difference.

Truth is theres no mold to fall into. Be a fan however the hell you want. You made the choice to be a Husker fan, so be yourself as a fan too.

• Fire 1

I actually like watching the game on TV with my friends and people at the bar more than being in the stadium. I think I like the convenience of it and I like chatting with other people.

I do to, but I enjoy the atmosphere at the stadium too. Actually the older I get the more I enjoy being there on game day. Problem is I'm a curse and rarely get to see us beat a real opponent in person.

I actually like watching the game on TV with my friends and people at the bar more than being in the stadium. I think I like the convenience of it and I like chatting with other people.

I do to, but I enjoy the atmosphere at the stadium too. Actually the older I get the more I enjoy being there on game day. Problem is I'm a curse and rarely get to see us beat a real opponent in person.

Me and my friends are road game jinxes

UNL is my alma mater, so I "support" all their athletic teams. I don't give them extra monetary support, other than the occasional game ticket or apparel purchase. My support is made up of cheering for all the teams and wanting them to do well. I will watch every football game and a lot of the basketball games on TV. I follow the baseball team on Twitter, and pay attention to the volleyball team during their season.

As I have gotten older, I have become less critical of the players and direct my criticism to the coaches. To me, the players are kids (yes, I consider them kids, I know a lot don't) who are just playing a sport while they are getting their education.

• Fire 1

My opinion is to still have fun watching them and following them. I hate it when they lose but I still love watching them. I'll yell my head off at games and cheer them on from my couch.

It's all up to you as to how you want to be a fan. But, I absolutely don't understand the constant pessimistic and bitching fan. You know the one that proudly proclaims that they will never be satisfied and happy until we win an NC because the pressure he puts on the program is what drives them forward to greatness.

Blaaaa......I deal with pressure every day on the job. I have no desire to act like the program boss for my entertaining hobby.

You're free to be that kind of fan. But, just let it be known that you won't ever be invited to watch a game with me.

• Fire 3

It's gotten to the point that I only go or want to go to the game is if my wife wants to go. I'd much rather watch football from my couch. It's always a better view, and I like to make my own gameday food rather than spend money for the ticket, snacks at the game, and food somewhere after. Now because I'm farther away, lodging is also factored in there.

I'll agree with the above, with the caveat that if you threaten to stop attending, spending money, supporting, cheering for or whatever, based on whether the coaches/players aren't scoring enough sports points to win the sports games, you need to do some reevaluating.

• Fire 3

We all want Nebraska to be in the playoff picture. But I don't want to be the type of fan that lets it ruin my day because I don't like offense that the current coach runs. Or that almost a year ago we went 5-7, in 37 days a new season starts so why continue to dwell on last years cruddy record?

• Fire 1