Bring back the round style helmet

Just a personal preference but I'm curious what others think. I really hate the new style helmets with the strange cut in the back and the one with that button looking thing on the forehead. They still make a classic round helmet and I think Nebraska helmets look better with the traditional round one. USC seems to favor the classic one as I've seen a lot of their players wearing it. Not sure why the players seem to like the space-like helmets over the football-like ones. I wish we would make a move to the round ones. Anyone else notice this or give a shite?

Sorry one last off-season topic I had to get out of my system before we start taking about real stuff.

• Fire 1

Just a personal preference but I'm curious what others think. I really hate the new style helmets with the strange cut in the back and the one with that button looking thing on the forehead. They still make a classic round helmet and I think Nebraska helmets look better with the traditional round one. USC seems to favor the classic one as I've seen a lot of their players wearing it. Not sure why the players seem to like the space-like helmets over the football-like ones. I wish we would make a move to the round ones. Anyone else notice this or give a shite?

Sorry one last off-season topic I had to get out of my system before we start taking about real stuff.

Those helmets are vastly inferior in protecting against concussions. Zero chance we'd move back.

• Fire 9

Those helmets are vastly inferior in protecting against concussions. Zero chance we'd move back.

Yep. It's all about safety. I understand if someone doesn't like the style of the helmets, but they're never going away, and in the future they will probably look more like "space helmets."

If it saves one kid from CTE, I'm all for a more modern design. (I know the OP wasn't thinking along those lines - not an indictment of their opinion)

...and tear aways. Bring back the tear away jerseys.

See, you try and joke around, and you end up making an excellent point.

LOL. That is exactly what happened. I was trying to be funny, typed the words, and thought; wait, that isn't a bad idea. Used to love seeing our IB's looking like they'd been through trench warfare. I bet some of them went through 4 or more jerseys a game.

...and tear aways. Bring back the tear away jerseys.

See, you try and joke around, and you end up making an excellent point.

LOL. That is exactly what happened. I was trying to be funny, typed the words, and thought; wait, that isn't a bad idea. Used to love seeing our IB's looking like they'd been through trench warfare. I bet some of them went through 4 or more jerseys a game.

I remember Frost's looking like he's been through an alley fight during one game. I wanna say the '97 CCG?

Fully understand that safety is what has led to the evolution of the helmet. However, I've also noticed that some players still wear a traditional round helmet, which I assume still meets all NCAA safety regulations. If not, how could players be wearing it?

Just did a quick search and it looks like Riddel makes the "futuristic" looking helmets most players use and Schutt makes the classic round ones that some players use. If they are both authorized by the NCAA, then it would be up to the team/players.

Look in this picture, player on the left wears the round one and player on the right has the weird looking Riddel speed helmet.

post-12344-0-70931700-1470024073_thumb.jpg

Fully understand that safety is what has led to the evolution of the helmet. However, I've also noticed that some players still wear a traditional round helmet, which I assume still meets all NCAA safety regulations. If not, how could players be wearing it?

Just did a quick search and it looks like Riddel makes the "futuristic" looking helmets most players use and Schutt makes the classic round ones that some players use. If they are both authorized by the NCAA, then it would be up to the team/players.

Look in this picture, player on the left wears the round one and player on the right has the weird looking Riddel speed helmet.

attachicon.gifjavorius-allen-steve-sarkisian-ncaa-football-southern-california-arizona.jpg

There's meeting the standard and there's wearing the absolute best rated helmet. Perhaps USC tells the players they can choose between the 2 based on their comfort, and maybe the 2nd helmet is the 2nd best rated helmet.

• Fire 2