Bring back the round style helmet

for those of us who remember when football was a contact sport.

calm down. people are dying from this stuff.

I'm perfectly calm. I have no problem with making the game safer. I just think they're going too far with a lot of it....kind of like stating "people are dying from this stuff".....too far.

• Fire 1

I'm perfectly calm. I have no problem with making the game safer. I just think they're going too far with a lot of it....kind of like stating "people are dying from this stuff".....too far.

Ummmm.....they are.

The research has come a long way to the point we can at least draw connections between football and CTE, and it is a degenerative disease that is shortening lives.

Football has skirted by on lackluster safety protocols for far too long. In my opinion, we need to get to the point where we can lay out all the information on the table for every athlete and show them this is what they're risking. After that point, it's up to personal responsibility and acceptance of one's actions.

The research has come a long way to the point we can at least draw connections between football and CTE, and it is a degenerative disease that is shortening lives.

Football has skirted by on lackluster safety protocols for far too long. In my opinion, we need to get to the point where we can lay out all the information on the table for every athlete and show them this is what they're risking. After that point, it's up to personal responsibility and acceptance of one's actions.

I agree, but things are much better than they used to be. The rate at which these kids get concussion are lower than they were not too long ago. The difference is now we/ they are more aware and they are more willing to report the symptoms and coaches are more aware of the symptoms. The stigma that used to go with coming out of a game because your "bell was rung" is all but gone. And these helmets are a big reason why.

I agree, but things are much better than they used to be. The rate at which these kids get concussion are lower than they were not too long ago. The difference is now we/ they are more aware and they are more willing to report the symptoms and coaches are more aware of the symptoms. The stigma that used to go with coming out of a game because your "bell was rung" is all but gone. And these helmets are a big reason why.

Agreed, and I'm all for doing what we can to reasonably accommodate player safety in-game and recognize the signs of brain trauma early.

But, that's also why I believe we need to eventually reach a point where we understand the game is inherently violent and dangerous. We need to be able to lay all the information on the table and say here's what we've done to make the game safer without completely changing the way it's played, and here's what we know about what could happen to your body. Families and players need to own up to the ramifications if those parameters are met.

Otherwise, the only next step in the equation would be to start fundamentally altering football. Certain pocket books would have a lot to say about that, though.

Ummmm.....they are.

Yes, multiple concussions are bad for a person. I am all for making the players extremely aware of the dangers and consequences. Heck, I would be for making them ineligible to play any more if they reached a certain threshold of brain injuries. But, I don't think punishing individual players in a game or by disqualification when all they have done is hit somebody hard is the answer. Sure, if they're head hunting or obviously trying to "take somebody out", then by all means DQ them. But what I have witnessed all too often is a player simply trying to tackle someone and the person being tackled changes position and/or the officials enforce some ridiculous zero tolerance rule. I think intent (which yes, is sometimes hard to determine) needs to be a key component of DQing a player. The game is faster and the players are more powerful, serious injury is a real concern. I just don't think removing all violent contact from the game is the best avenue if the major concern is saving lives. Get the multiple injured players out of the game, for good, and quit blaming the problem on innocent players who are simply trying to make a play.

• Fire 1

I think intent (which yes, is sometimes hard to determine) needs to be a key component of DQing a player.

This would make the rule 100x worse. The refs already have way too much room for grey areas and interpretation, imo.

Look, I'm no apologist for the targeting penalties, but I at least understand them and appreciate the approach. I think of it in a similar respect as I do the helmet coming off during play rule. When they added in that you had to sit out for a play, I thought that was stupid and nonsensical. But...it's worked. Players aren't being careless with their helmets anymore, because the rule was a pre-emptive deterrent or incentive to make sure you're buckled up.

The targeting rule needs some work. But I do feel like it is in fact making the game safer by forcing coaches and players to spend more time and dedication towards learning safe/effective means of tackling.

Football and absolute safety are mutually exclusive, but not everyone who plays gets hurt. There is no way to cleanse the game without destroying its SOUL. You dont want risk, DONT PLAY. The folks who are on a fools errand to make football "safe" ARE COMPLETELY RUINING THE GAME

Football and absolute safety are mutually exclusive, but not everyone who plays gets hurt. There is no way to cleanse the game without destroying its SOUL. You dont want risk, DONT PLAY. The folks who are on a fools errand to make football "safe" ARE COMPLETELY RUINING THE GAME

There is a difference between making something 100% safe (which is impossible), and trying to eliminate all unreasonable risk. The latter is what's being attempted. Given what we know today, it's a worthy cause.

Football is unreasonable behavior to start with. If you want to be reasonably safe, dont play.

Football cannot be made reasonably safe and still be hard played real football.

If a person doesnt want CTE go suck a lolipop. If you are OK with the risk then play. And for goodness sakes leave the game alone.

• Fire 1

go watch a highlight reel of Eric Berry or any all pro safety. In slow-mo every tackle above the waist involves helmet to helmet contact. This is what most of us have grown up with. This is normal football. It is unsafe. And it is OK. Why is it OK? Because the player CHOOSES to play. He is not forced to play. If our society chooses to remove choice and personal accountability from everything, we will no longer be free.

go watch a highlight reel of Eric Berry or any all pro safety. In slow-mo every tackle above the waist involves helmet to helmet contact. This is what most of us have grown up with. This is normal football. It is unsafe. And it is OK. Why is it OK? Because the player CHOOSES to play. He is not forced to play. If our society chooses to remove choice and personal accountability from everything, we will no longer be free.

Do you realize the number of former NFL players dying from CTE had no ability to be informed on what exactly their decisions would lead to in terms of their long-term health? Just so I know we're on the same page here.

Pretty bold statement - a lot of info has come out recently on the long term effects and i'm sure there will be more data coming that may lead thousands and thousands of kids/parents to choose another sport unless the current and future changes are implemented. Too good of a game to not make a few small adjustments to keep it as the top game in america.