Fall Camp Position Battles - Defensive End

Backups: Redshirt freshman Alex Davis, who's gained about 50 pounds in a year, can "run and move" and he has the work-ethic component, too, Riley said. "Alex is another one of those guys who can make a move," he said. … Sophomore Sedrick King is "one of those guys, frankly, we need to step up" — because he has some potential as a pass rusher, Riley said. King performed well in spring ball before an injury, but he's worked hard since and has carried a good attitude throughout, according to Riley. … Redshirt freshman DaiShon Neal wasn't named specifically, but he'll surely be in the mix.

OWH

Is Freedom playing the Base DE where he's asked to maintain position with the TE and OT and then rush the passer? If so, it would be great to have a speed rusher coming off the edge on the open DE.

I am sure they will move him around depending on the situation. I think he would be a better base end than dzuris, but on passing situations I bet they put him in a place to get after the qb. Especially since we don't see many uptempo teams we will probably have a sub package for third down and long

Is Freedom playing the Base DE where he's asked to maintain position with the TE and OT and then rush the passer? If so, it would be great to have a speed rusher coming off the edge on the open DE.

I would think that Dzrius is playing Base. I was a little surprised that Freedom gained quite that much - though he has the frame to do it - because I would think he'll be our main pass rush threat this year.

From Sam:

Among defensive ends, you’re going to get a lunch-pail approach from Ross Dzuris and flashes of major potential from Freedom Akinmoladun. He’ll get better — he’s getting better now — and he has some speed to chase a back laterally or down the field. None of their backups — A.J. Natter, Sedrick King, Alex Davis, Matt Jarzynka or DaiShon Neal — has significant experience. They didn’t jump out Saturday. Ben Stille and Collin Miller are headed for redshirts, but Stille, an Ashland-Greenwood grad, carries 240 pounds quite well on a 6-foot-5 frame.

http://www.omaha.com/huskers/football/mckewon-husker-defensive-coordinator-mark-banker-wants-to-be-aggressive/article_847c666a-af93-5a09-a7b1-7144707fca82.html

• Fire 1
  • 2 weeks later...