SE says no extension for Miles

Only 1 senior so i'm guessing only 1 recruit in the next cycle - wonder if both parties understand this and want to see how the product goes.

Could be a blessing for Miles if the team does well this year!!! If things don't go well then the questions will follow.

I don't think it's THAT big of a deal but it was almost assuredly conveyed that they're not as happy with the results as they might claim.

If we improve this year, he'll get the extension - probably two years to get it back to the standard five. If things don't get any better, it will be pretty interesting to see what they do next year.

• Fire 1

It appears SE has announced to the state that the honeymoon is over and it is time for TM to earn his pay. I understand the problems that a lack of an effective big in this conference has hindered production. I hope this season is a growing year and by mid season these youngsters start to grow up. The schedule is tough and a .500 record won't necessarily mean the team isn't good. If blowouts are few and losses are close it should mean they are progressing. It will take some great coaching and patience on our part.

• Fire 3
  • 2 months later...

Eichorst laid it out in, well, somewhat certain terms in late summer when he did not give Miles a fifth year on his current contract. Eichorst does not believe in rollover contracts. He believes in coaches earning extensions.

Which means Miles enters his fifth season with a four-year contract, which is normal for a lot of college basketball coaches. That’s a recruiting cycle.

But the lack of rollover means that after this season, Miles will have three years left. And no athletic director lets a guy coach with three years left, unless he likes seeing him twist in the wind.

So the question for 2016-17 is: What does Miles have to do to get that year back? And, would it be two years or one?

Is it make the NCAA tournament or bust?

Would the NIT work for Eichorst if the program — full of sophomores and freshmen — finished strong and on an upward trajectory?

Or does Eichorst, who didn’t hire Miles and oversaw men’s basketball when he was at Wisconsin, already have something else in mind?

OWH

Patience. We need to have patience. We don't want to be like Kansas football. They feel a little success (under Mangino) and fire the guy thinking they'll land someone better. Six years and three coaches later they're still in the toilet.

Patience. We need to have patience. We don't want to be like Kansas football. They feel a little success (under Mangino) and fire the guy thinking they'll land someone better. Six years and three coaches later they're still in the toilet.

Sometimes you know the guy is the wrong one… Sometimes you know they are the right one….

Sometimes you know the guy is the wrong one… Sometimes you know they are the right one….

True enough. But sometimes it's better to keep the guy around for a while. He might turn out to be okay after all. No harm in that. And if he doesn't work out eventually, BOOM, drop the ax and clean house. :lol:

And when the guy is the first one to really accomplish anything at all for you in almost 20 years, but then struggles for a while, I don't think you really know...

I hope Miles gets it figured out. Between Riley, Cook, Erstad and Miles, I can't imagine our major sports being represented any better by the integrity and personality of our coaches. Miles is a big part of that and I want him to stay, but he's not gonna be around much longer if he can't start giving players and fans a reason to buy in.

He has a roster full of his guys that for the most part are 4 year guys - so he deserves 2/3 years to see if they can put something together. We are in a tough conference and an average team can get run over with the competition that we are facing. Most of our non conference competition and the bottom 2/3 of the league will be games that we should at least be competitive with.