The Nebraska Way

Holy crap you guys, this thread is something else. I knew the second it started to stay the hell away from it.

Let's put this into perspective right now. Of those in the midst of this dumpster fire, are any of you directly related to the LP/TO fiasco that happened 20+ years ago?

No?

Okay then, let it the hell go because none of us know any of the real details. As mentioned multiple times already, the truth is a blend of both sides. I mean, NUance is on trial for "using poor word choice".

I repeat, NUANCE! That alone should tell you that most of you taking this personally have gotten WAY too involved with it. I spent 4 days away from the board because of a wedding and a funeral. When I came back, KW had a DUI. So I continued to keep a distance. Now this sh#t show is 5 pages in and getting worse. I've spent the last 2-3 days on ShaggyTexas reading their close minded views about expansion because frankly it's more interesting.

Can't wait for actual kickoff, my lord. 16 days away and THIS is the topic? Yeesh...

You know what's worse than a weird offseason thread?

The people who only post in those threads to say how bad they are. You don't like it? Don't read it. But don't waste everyone's time with this.

BTW - I'm sorry for your loss. I was a pall bearer at a funeral a few days ago and the loss of my loved one is tough, too. But our losses don't give us the right to rant at HuskerBoard members. Probably a good idea to stop using that as some validation of your position.

• Fire 2

Question: If LP had assaulted a guy and that guy wanted LP to play so he could be paid his civil lawsuit award, would we be outraged?

Are people being sexist by claiming McEwen, as a woman, can't control her own opinions and hopes regarding how the injuries she suffered could be mitigated?

Assaulting anyone is wrong. Being paternalistic toward female victims strikes me as wrong, too.

Holy crap you guys, this thread is something else. I knew the second it started to stay the hell away from it.

Let's put this into perspective right now. Of those in the midst of this dumpster fire, are any of you directly related to the LP/TO fiasco that happened 20+ years ago?

No?

Okay then, let it the hell go because none of us know any of the real details. As mentioned multiple times already, the truth is a blend of both sides. I mean, NUance is on trial for "using poor word choice".

I repeat, NUANCE! That alone should tell you that most of you taking this personally have gotten WAY too involved with it. I spent 4 days away from the board because of a wedding and a funeral. When I came back, KW had a DUI. So I continued to keep a distance. Now this sh#t show is 5 pages in and getting worse. I've spent the last 2-3 days on ShaggyTexas reading their close minded views about expansion because frankly it's more interesting.

Can't wait for actual kickoff, my lord. 16 days away and THIS is the topic? Yeesh...

^obligatory "this thread is bullsh#t and a waste of time but i'm following it and bitching about it anyway" post. LOL.

The justification of abuse of a woman as a way for them to get compensated is astounding on this board.

Wow....I must have missed that.

How else can you f'ing read NUance and cm's posts?

"Hey guys, it's okay TO reinstated LP to play because Kate got PAID!"

One hell of a lot different than you did....obviously.

St Paul, why do you think women can't control their feelings, emotions and own legal claims?

Because, "how else can you f'ing read your post?" other than that you think you have to treat women as subservient people different than how you'd treat men who were the victim of a similar assault.

No?

You know what's worse than a weird offseason thread?

The people who only post in those threads to say how bad they are. You don't like it? Don't read it. But don't waste everyone's time with this.

BTW - I'm sorry for your loss. I was a pall bearer at a funeral a few days ago and the loss of my loved one is tough, too. But our losses don't give us the right to rant at HuskerBoard members. Probably a good idea to stop using that as some validation of your position.

Yeah? Well, what you're doing in here is super important so I'll let ya get back to it. Sorry to take you away from it.

Yeah, I think we're about done here.

We should make a new thread about the "Nebraska Way" if we're going to divert from the current story so much so here's a vaulted article about our precious Nebraska Way in the 90's

http://www.si.com/vault/1995/09/25/206647/coach-and-jury-nebraska-players-charged-with-crimes-have-a-steadfast-ally-in-the-man-who-runs-the-program-tom-osborne

Get it back to the original topic at hand or we'll just lock it up.

The justification of abuse of a woman as a way for them to get compensated is astounding on this board.

Your anger is affecting your comprehension.

I think this is true for most the parties involved in this thread.

Nobody wants to look at it as an event that happened long ago that can't be changed now. People are free to discuss whatever they wish, but getting so offended and upset the way some are is just over the top.

I have a hard time figuring how mood and temperment seems to be a thing some folks act like they have such good grasp of by simply reading words. I dont know how many times I've had to explain over the years I'm not pissy about anything because someone assumes I am mad or upset based on the words I use when I'm not. Is this just the result of our quickly growing, social media society where it seems every discussion takes such a toxic turn?

Holy cow! I leave for an hour and you fellas really moved the ball down the field on this thread! Way to go, guys!

First off, I didn't condone domestic violence. I said that Lawrence Phillips' behavior was a crime. I said it in the very post everyone is up in arms about.

So let's talk about this gem:

I suspect that even ex-girlfriend Kate McEwen was glad that Lawrence played in the Fiesta Bowl. She sued him in civil court and settled for a stake of his NFL earnings. Not a bad payday for a bump on the head and some heated words. (Don't get me wrong, I'm not arguing that LP did no wrong. What he did is considered a crime. But I am saying that stuff like this happens all the time—except nothing comes of it when they're poor.)

The issue being addressed was whether TO should have let Phillips play in view of what he'd done to Kate McEwen. And I pointed out that it was actually in Kate McEwen's best interest that he played, as it turned out, with the civil judgement and all.

Granted, my choice of wording was very poor ("Not a bad payday"), and LP's actions were criminal (as I said in my post). But you also have to remember that Kate McEwen was a college athlete and likely received injuries as bad or even worse that that on the basketball court. (And before any of you get on a high horse with a new strawman for me to address, No, I am not saying it's okay to beat up college athletes just because they're used to playing a little rougher than the rest of us.)