The Nebraska Way

I'm interested in knowing how many times judges have sentenced people to football after they've been involved in domestic violence disputes, and the success rates of rehabilitation vs. recidivism of the football-for-assault program.

To answer NUance above:

1. I know for a fact that he received counseling during his suspension.

2. Incarceration for domestic violence is common. I don't see why Lawrence Phillips should be any different.

I suspect that even ex-girlfriend Kate McEwen was glad that Lawrence played in the Fiesta Bowl. She sued him in civil court and settled for a stake of his NFL earnings. Not a bad payday for a bump on the head and some heated words.

This just makes me sad. It's hard to believe this was put out there for people to read.

and someone else +1 it.

I'll take a leap that they would both also say that a rape victim asked for it because of what she was wearing and how she was drinking.

Wow, get off the soap opera. LP was an asshat for what he did, no-one is condoning his behavior here. I do not believe NUance was attempting to legitimize LPs actions.

For Fuk sake, know your posters before you call them on the carpet!

• Fire 2

He would have been drafted even if he had never played past the Michigan State game. He was a generational talent.

Very possible, but certainly not nearly as high as he did at 6th overall IMO. The Fiesta Bowl put LP back on the radar for teams as a top draft pick as he struggled a bit in the few games he played after coming off of suspension. That being said, if getting drafted was something TO felt was important for LP and his rehabilitation then no he didn't need to let him play. Knowing how LP eventually turned out taints the thought, but I could see an argument at the time for letting LP get drafted much lower and having to work to stay out of trouble to earn that big payday.

guys. guys. did anyone even read what I said? I already explained all this. Jeebus.

The only thing TO is guilty of is careing for his players to much. He had Scott Baldwin living with him and his family.

I care for my own kids too. Doesnt mean i havent, and wont, make mistakes in raising them. Simply caring doesnt absolve wrongdoing. That's really the whole point of the Phillips discussion. You got some who think he did what he did wrongly to simply win games. You got others on the other extreme, who thinks he did it with literally only Phillip's best interest in mind, and nothing about the team's performance was taken into account, when in fact-like everything else in life-the answer is actually somewhere in the middle. All factors probably considered.

• Fire 1

He would have been drafted even if he had never played past the Michigan State game. He was a generational talent.

Maybe.....but pretty much not playing his senior year along with the reasoning for him not playing (legal problems) would have put him possibly on the bubble of not being drafted. No doubt someone would have at the very least given him a shot as a free agent. But, nothing is guaranteed.

guys. guys. did anyone even read what I said? I already explained all this. Jeebus.

The only thing TO is guilty of is careing for his players to much. He had Scott Baldwin living with him and his family.

I care for my own kids too. Doesnt mean i havent, and wont, make mistakes in raising them. Simply caring doesnt absolve wrongdoing. That's really the whole point of the Phillips discussion. You got some who think he did what he did wrongly to simply win games. You got others on the other extreme, who thinks he did it with literally only Phillip's best interest in mind, and nothing about the team's performance was taken into account, when in fact-like everything else in life-the answer is actually somewhere in the middle. All factors probably considered.

I beat you to this sentiment yesterday.

The world is hardly ever black and white.

The justification of abuse of a woman as a way for them to get compensated is astounding on this board.

Wow....I must have missed that.

How else can you f'ing read NUance and cm's posts?

"Hey guys, it's okay TO reinstated LP to play because Kate got PAID!"

Even if that quote was accurate (it's not), how does that quote you wrote = a "justification of abuse of a woman"?

Once the damage occurs, you do all you can to mitigate the damage, but that mitigation doesn't justify the original problem.