Keith Williams Suspended Two Weeks, Will Miss Four Games

BIG ERN

I'm reading Bennet's piece and it reads a lot like what sensible posters have already posted here.

Didn't find it overheated or click-baity at all. If working with Michael Irvin -- or any other ESPN colleague with a past -- precludes you from having an opinion, that not really fair, either. That he previously supported the University for their forgiveness of Bo only confirms he views those situations differently. As do most of us.

What part of Bennett's article don't we agree with? I mean, other than the fact that it was written by an outsider.

• Fire 1

This man was caught 3 times already, roughly every five years. So imagine how many times he drives drunk without being caught. Not only has he not learned from this, due to all the slaps on the wrist, it may be just a matter of time before he kills someone. Another shameful notch for football "justice". I bet if he was some nobody most of you would be singing a different tune on how outrageous it was for him to loose a mere month of work despite being a chronic drunk driver.

• Fire 1

I don't like the fact that article came from an outsider.

I don't like that Brian Bennett is from ESPN.

It is obvious that writer is throwing stones from a glass house.

But, for the life of me, I can not disagree with one single word he wrote in that article. Not one.

"Nebraska sends the wrong message"

So who gets these "sent messages" on how to live their lives or calibrates their moral compass from the interaction between an athletic department anda wide receiver's coach?

Better yet, who made ESPN the moral arbiter of anything of consequence?

Everybody down at NU and on this forum is going to screw up at least once more in their lives...possibly even twice. Fix the screw up and move on.

http://www.espn.com/blog/ncfnation/post/_/id/128396/nebraska-sends-wrong-message-with-suspension-of-keith-williams

Nebraska sends wrong message with suspension of Keith Williams

Aug 19, 2016

Brian Bennett

ESPN Staff Writer

After Bennett posted this article I asked him:

He didn't respond, and you can see why. Irvin's history of drug use/abuse is pretty grim. Multiple accusations of sexual assault as well. While employed by ESPN, Irvin was suspended for two days after a misdemeanor arrest for speeding when officers found drug paraphernalia in his car.

None of this is to excuse Williams for what he did, or to claim NU's punishment is severe enough. But it's difficult to take a lecture from an organization like ESPN when they have shown they're far more lenient with their employees.

Good Catch and response Knapp. ESPN also is the network that often overlooks the infractions of their 'pet' teams and leagues - depending on who is buttering their toast.

I do think in the case of KW, an administrative position would be a good 'parking spot' for him until he has completed his counseling and has dealt wt the deeper issues that lead to his 3rd DUI. He is a great coach, recruiter and he means a lot to this team, but I prefer to have him around long term by making sure he has conquered his demons. In the corporate world, many organizations will help an employee via their health care plan to overcome these types of issues. NU can do the same.

http://www.espn.com/blog/ncfnation/post/_/id/128396/nebraska-sends-wrong-message-with-suspension-of-keith-williams

Aug 19, 2016

Brian Bennett

ESPN Staff Writer

He didn't respond, and you can see why. Irvin's history of drug use/abuse is pretty grim. Multiple accusations of sexual assault as well. While employed by ESPN, Irvin was suspended for two days after a misdemeanor arrest for speeding when officers found drug paraphernalia in his car.

None of this is to excuse Williams for what he did, or to claim NU's punishment is severe enough. But it's difficult to take a lecture from an organization like ESPN when they have shown they're far more lenient with their employees.

Good Catch and response Knapp. ESPN also is the network that often overlooks the infractions of their 'pet' teams and leagues - depending on who is buttering their toast.

I do think in the case of KW, an administrative position would be a good 'parking spot' for him until he has completed his counseling and has dealt wt the deeper issues that lead to his 3rd DUI. He is a great coach, recruiter and he means a lot to this team, but I prefer to have him around long term by making sure he has conquered his demons. In the corporate world, many organizations will help an employee via their health care plan to overcome these types of issues. NU can do the same.

Assuming Williams' demons are alcoholism based, then he will be battling them for the rest of his life. How long should you 'park' him somewhere as a clerk/secretary or something paying him a big salary when being a great coach is his forte' ? Frequently, the best 'therapy' for people with mental, emotional and physical issues is to remain emersed in something they love to do and apparently Williams loves being a receivers coach. He will need lots of extra attention and monitoring closely for an indefinate time frame - probably as long as he remains at Nebraska which hopefully is many years based on what we've seen to date of his coaching skills. Addiction is difficult for even the most determined invididuals to overcome and they need plenty of friends and coworkers to help and support them all along the way. Ultimately it is up to the addict but they rarely can do it alone. Keep him focused and stay on him - limit his alone time and keep him away from the temptations that can lead to disaster. That is the best hope for Williams, the man. Keep him extra busy doing his job - that is the best hope for Williams the coach. IMO

The parable of the glass house isn't really that difficult to understand.

See I thought my post clearly took your glass house argument into account:

"What part of Bennett's article don't we agree with? I mean, other than the fact that it was written by an outsider."

The parable "don't kill the messenger" isn't difficult to understand either.

This man was caught 3 times already, roughly every five years. So imagine how many times he drives drunk without being caught. Not only has he not learned from this, due to all the slaps on the wrist, it may be just a matter of time before he kills someone. Another shameful notch for football "justice". I bet if he was some nobody most of you would be singing a different tune on how outrageous it was for him to loose a mere month of work despite being a chronic drunk driver.

Do you know him personally?

I'm reading Bennet's piece and it reads a lot like what sensible posters have already posted here.

Didn't find it overheated or click-baity at all. If working with Michael Irvin -- or any other ESPN colleague with a past -- precludes you from having an opinion, that not really fair, either. That he previously supported the University for their forgiveness of Bo only confirms he views those situations differently. As do most of us.

What part of Bennett's article don't we agree with? I mean, other than the fact that it was written by an outsider.

The title

Aug 19, 2016

Brian Bennett

ESPN Staff Writer

Assuming Williams' demons are alcoholism based, then he will be battling them for the rest of his life. How long should you 'park' him somewhere as a clerk/secretary or something paying him a big salary when being a great coach is his forte' ? Frequently, the best 'therapy' for people with mental, emotional and physical issues is to remain emersed in something they love to do and apparently Williams loves being a receivers coach. He will need lots of extra attention and monitoring closely for an indefinate time frame - probably as long as he remains at Nebraska which hopefully is many years based on what we've seen to date of his coaching skills. Addiction is difficult for even the most determined invididuals to overcome and they need plenty of friends and coworkers to help and support them all along the way. Ultimately it is up to the addict but they rarely can do it alone. Keep him focused and stay on him - limit his alone time and keep him away from the temptations that can lead to disaster. That is the best hope for Williams, the man. Keep him extra busy doing his job - that is the best hope for Williams the coach. IMO

Good points. The "parking time' I was thinking of was the period to make sure he has taken the initial steps to get help. That may be covered in the 4 game suspension or it may be longer - up to the admin folks to determine. But I see your point in having him involved in the things that motivate him as well.

You seem to be under the impression that I'm saying Bennett is wrong.

I think we're a lot alike, Knapp. Neither of us likes to be lectured.

I am currently under the impression that you think Bennett is largely correct, but are undermining his right to hold forth on the subject, based on his employer.

ESPN has a lot of contributors who are essentially freelance contractors. They often disagree with each other and may well disagree with choices ESPN has made in the past.

If you basically agree with Brian Bennett's assertions -- shared by many Husker fans right here on this thread -- I'm not sure I understand the value of dismissing them via the ESPN loophole.